cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updating bio's

Physalist
Level 7
All right so I need to update my bio's and I currently dont have a flash drive. I do have a mp3 player that I tried using as a makeshift flash drive, but that didnt work since it never showed up. The only way I got the driver t show up on the easy flash menu was if I put it on one of the other hard drives. So, is there any other way to update the bios without a flash drive? Btw, I have the GS74sx.
13 REPLIES 13

StefanLundmark
Level 7
Wow, are you seriously going to brick your $1500 (or whatever) worth of laptop by doing that? You know, it's not trivial to restore a broken BIOS and if you really have no clue (no offence, but using your MP3-player to maintain your Mainboards' BIOS goes as "no clue") you shouldn't attempt it.

You can use an internal HDD, or external - but it can't be NTFS formatted. Googling confirms it, here's one example:
http://consumerist.com/2011/11/asus-blames-you-when-bios-update-bricks-your-computer.html

Why can't you buy an inexpensive $8 USB flash drive?

Because I dont have the cash for it atm. Youre comin off a little strong there too man...

dataDave
Level 7
Please don't try to Flash from anything other than a FAT32 formatted USB stick.

Just be patient until you raise the funds to buy one, or try to borrow a stick from someone. It's really not worth bricking your laptop over.

Thats what I was planning to do. I just wanted to see if there was a different way. Thanks.

Etnies22
Level 7
Hmm... I think you can easily update your bios with Asus LiveUpdate...? I think i update it with that app...but for sure i was updating bios in windows...

http://rog.asus.com/notebook/17-inch/g74sx/ ( Download -> Utilities -> ASUS Live Update Utility Version V3.1.2

Etnies22 wrote:
Hmm... I think you can easily update your bios with Asus LiveUpdate...? I think i update it with that app...but for sure i was updating bios in windows...

http://rog.asus.com/notebook/17-inch/g74sx/ ( Download -> Utilities -> ASUS Live Update Utility Version V3.1.2

Lucky you. It's been repeated time and again in this Forum that the much safer way to update BIOS
is through Easy Flash with a FAT 32 formatted external drive.

Doing it through an NTFS formatted drive or in Windows OS is just inviting disaster.
Don't understand why ASUS still encourages its consumers to do this via its Live Update.
ASUS G74SX-3DE

I tried updating with the Live updater. It wouldn't let me because of some issue with the rom version not being right or something. I guess its better I didnt from what I've seen on this forum.

Physalist wrote:
I tried updating with the Live updater. It wouldn't let me because of some issue with the rom version not being right or something. I guess its better I didnt from what I've seen on this forum.

Updating BIOS in Windows OS or an NTFS formatted drive is too risky!..

When did you buy your G74? It might already have the BIOS 203 version
if you just bought it recently. To check, type "System Information" in search programs and files
to verify. BIOS version is somewhere in the middle (BIOS Version/Date...)
ASUS G74SX-3DE

I bought it last year and I've checked it its 101