Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Updating bio's

ROG Guru: Blue Belt Array PILGRIM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Physalist View Post
    I bought it last year and I've checked it its 101
    As far as I know, G74 BIOS's are 201, 202, and 203.

Assuming you want the latest BIOS update (203), see this thread and download Brody's
    PDF file: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread...EazyFlash-quot
    ASUS G74SX-3DE

ROG Member Array

I updated bios in windows at least 10 times at NTFS partition, without single problem....included other brand laptops also older laptops...
    I didn't DOS bios flash utitlites for about 3-4 years...

ROG Guru: Black Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by Etnies22 View Post
    I updated bios in windows at least 10 times at NTFS partition, without single problem....included other brand laptops also older laptops...
    Regardless what your personal experience is with other computers, it is well-established that updating the BIOS through Windows, or using an NTFS drive, greatly increases the risk of flashing failure in Asus' G-series models. And because there is no backup BIOS and the Aptio Emergency flash procedure does not work in these models, it's just not worth the risk.

Yes, people have successfully flashed with WinFlash. But given the heightened risks, it's simply not a good choice for these models.

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array fostert's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Etnies22 View Post
    Lets be sure we know what were talking about here...bricking. I.e.the G74 will not boot at all, because its basic roadmap of all its hardware is gone. There is no dual CMOS chips to save you, no backup BIOS on the mainboard to take over...the only way to fix it (unless you're handy with a soldering iron) is to ship your notebook to ASUS for a rewrite. At least a 2 week round trip. They may even repartition and restore your HDD on you to a factory install (even if you ask them not to) and then you've got a reinstall on your hands when you get the machine back.

Remember, the BIOS is supposed to tell the OS what to do with itself...not the other way around!
    --
    G74SX-CST1-CBIL, i7 2630QM 2GHz
    32GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
    GTX560M 3GB DDR5 (192 bit)
    17.3" LED 1920x1080
    Sentelic TP, BIOS 203
    Debian Linux Wheezy (Testing) Kernel 3.2, NVIDIA 295.40

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2