cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strix Z390-E has lost Channel A for DRAM

Andyh77
Level 8
I have recently acquired a Strix Z390-E Gaming based system that was built about 2 and half years ago. The system appeared to be working fine when I took delivery, but I decided to do a tear-down in order to address some questionable build issues and poor cable routing. To cut a long story short, when I finished reassembly the jolly computer would not boot.

My next step was to reduce the system to the minimum compliment of components for testing. So just MOB, Cpu, PSU and DRAM and using integrated GPU. The DRAM comprises a 64GB kit by G.Skill Ripjaws (2 x 32GB). The kit code is F4-3200C16D-64GVK. The system boots fine with a single stick in either of the two B channel slots (B1 or B2). The system will not go past the orange LED for DRAM POST in the Q-LED array when a single stick is in either of the two A channel slots (A1 or A2). Having one stick in A2 and the other in B2 for dual channel also leads to no booting (same result as one stick in A1 or A2).

I have done the following things as part of my troubleshooting:

• Upgraded firmware from 1401 to 2004.
• Cleared BIOS settings at every step (bleed all charge at batt terminals, after removing batt).
• Tried XMP2 settings.
• Examined cpu socket pins for any damage, none seen.

When I removed the cooler I notice that it was quite firmly screwed down. I did try to replicate this torque when I first replaced the cooler. On all further testing I’ve left the cooler loosely in place.

I seem to have exhausted the common troubleshooting measures for this condition that I am aware of. There is still one thing that may benefit from further consideration. While the 4 x 16GB Ripjaws kit is on the Asus QVL list for my MOB, the 2 x 32GB kit, which I have, is not. However when I look at the G.Skill QVL list I see that my 2 x 32GB kit claims compatibility with my MOB. So either Asus has not yet tested the 2 x 64GB combo and it might be fine, or they have tested it and found it problematic.

Remembering that the 2 x 32GB kit had been working fine for over 2 years since the first build of this computer, is it possible that the original builder had some method of initialising dual channel operation of this DRAM kit with a special set of under / over clocking settings which I don’t understand yet? (The original build was dual channel B2 A2)

The only other possible cause that I can think of is that I over-tightened the cooler when I first replaced it, thereby bending pins. However I’ve looked long and hard at the socket, taken hi res photos, and cannot see any sign of pin distortion.

I would be very grateful if anyone had ideas of how to further troubleshoot my loss of channel A DRAM. It is most embarrassing that this machine was working fine until I repaired it 😞
Cheers,
Andyh77
15 REPLIES 15

Andyh77
Level 8
It's now over a week since I placed the post above and over 100 views have been registered. In spite of this there has been no reply. I'm not sure what to conclude by this. Is the Strix Z390 considered to be too old to be of any general interest? Or is the problem I'm having considered to be just too trivial to warrant a reply?

With my limited knowledge of this class of computer I am concluding that the problem is likely to be a failed MOB or CPU. A simple substitution with a new MOB or CPU may well resolve the problem, however I am reluctant to go to the relatively high gamble and expense involved without some reassurance that there are no other obvious less costly checks to make first.
Andyh77

Andyh77 wrote:
It's now over a week since I placed the post above and over 100 views have been registered. In spite of this there has been no reply. I'm not sure what to conclude by this. Is the Strix Z390 considered to be too old to be of any general interest? Or is the problem I'm having considered to be just too trivial to warrant a reply?

With my limited knowledge of this class of computer I am concluding that the problem is likely to be a failed MOB or CPU. A simple substitution with a new MOB or CPU may well resolve the problem, however I am reluctant to go to the relatively high gamble and expense involved without some reassurance that there are no other obvious less costly checks to make first.
Andyh77

To make it clear. Which RAM set is not boot, 4X16 and 2X32, or both. Either case, you need to isolate the ram issue first. Connect Single 16GB Ram into your ram slot 2, which mean 2 slot of ram nearer to the CPU and see it could boot to windows. If the result positive, please proceed to insert another 16GB which are the same ram kit if your kit are quad pair. Remember to get the serial number of the ram by sequence (eg: serial XXXXXX1 in slot 2 and XXXXX2 in slot 4). Now try to boot the system. Remember, rule of the thumb all this test done without any OC setting not even XMP. The bios must remain in default setting.

Let us know if that help. By the way I have not seen any 2X64 RAM kit in the market yet. Maybe I am wrong or miss out that.

Many thanks ahfoo and apologies for not being clearer. The only Ram that I have is two sticks of 32 GB making a kit total of 64 GB.

Serial Numbers:
Stick A = 19515803593
Stick B = 19515803594

This kit is not on the Asus QVL list, but the MOB is on the G.Skill QVL list for my kit.

If I put Stick B in Slot 2 (DIMM-B2) the computer boots normally to Windows.
If I put Stick A in Slot 2 (DIMM-B2) the computer boots normally to Windows.
If I then leave Stick A in Slot 2 and put Stick B in Slot 4 (DIMM-A2) the computer fails to boot.
If I then remove Stick A and let Stick B remain in Slot 4 the computer fails to boot.
If I then move Stick B to Slot 3 (DIMM-A1) the computer fails to boot.

The system will not go past the orange LED for DRAM POST in the Q-LED array when it fails to boot. I have reset the BIOS to default state between each test, so no OC or XMP.

Andyh77 wrote:
Many thanks ahfoo and apologies for not being clearer. The only Ram that I have is two sticks of 32 GB making a kit total of 64 GB.

Serial Numbers:
Stick A = 19515803593
Stick B = 19515803594

This kit is not on the Asus QVL list, but the MOB is on the G.Skill QVL list for my kit.

If I put Stick B in Slot 2 (DIMM-B2) the computer boots normally to Windows.
If I put Stick A in Slot 2 (DIMM-B2) the computer boots normally to Windows.
If I then leave Stick A in Slot 2 and put Stick B in Slot 4 (DIMM-A2) the computer fails to boot.
If I then remove Stick A and let Stick B remain in Slot 4 the computer fails to boot.
If I then move Stick B to Slot 3 (DIMM-A1) the computer fails to boot.

The system will not go past the orange LED for DRAM POST in the Q-LED array when it fails to boot. I have reset the BIOS to default state between each test, so no OC or XMP.

For Asus motherboard running different ram topology. Hence In pair you need to insert only Slot 2 and 4. No other option.

ahfoo wrote:
For Asus motherboard running different ram topology. Hence In pair you need to insert only Slot 2 and 4. No other option.

And that is exactly what I have done in my third case, and that fails to boot.

ahfoo
Level 13
If that is the case it may not compatible with Asus or at least not in the QVL if based on Asus requirement.

This is what I suspect also. I also cannot rule out damage to the CPU due to possible over-tightening of the cooler. This is my dilemma.

Andyh77
Level 8
I did mention in my first post that this ram kit did work fine in dual channel mode for 2.5 years in the MOB.

Andyh77 wrote:
I did mention in my first post that this ram kit did work fine in dual channel mode for 2.5 years in the MOB.

In that case, during your re-ensemble the system. You may accidently damage the board.