MotherboardROG Maximus XIII Hero (WiFi)
    Processori9-10900k 5.2 GHz AVX0 all core, 1.28v
    Memory (part number)32 GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3200/CL14 @ 4100 16-16-34
    Graphics Card #1Asus ROG Strix 2070 Super A8G
    Sound CardOn-board
    MonitorEIZO Coloredge CG2730 and Viewsonic QHD displays
    Storage #1WDC SN850 1TB, Samsung 980 1TB
    Storage #21TB 850 x 1 TB 860 EVO RAID0, 6 TB WDC Black, 6TB IronWolf Pro
    CPU CoolerEK-AIO 360 D-RGB w/Phanteks T30 -120 fans, 1 Noctua Chromax 140 case fan
    CaseFractal Design Meshify 2 dark tint
    Power Supply750W Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium Plus
    Keyboard Glorious GMMK TKL
    Mouse Logitech G305
    Headset Bose QC15
    Headset/Speakers Vanatoo T1, Klipsch R-12SWi Sub
    OS Windows 11 Pro X64, 22H2
    Network RouterLinksys EA7300
    Accessory #1 Logitech c920e webcam
    Accessory #2 Sabrent DS-SC5B 5-Bay USB-C HDD docking station
    Accessory #3 xrite i1 Display monitor calibration

Reason I mentioned it is I recently had to do the Windows activation codes after replacing the processor. I think I hit some threshold of changes LOL. But doing the code thing went fine. Good luck, sure it will go fine.

ROG Enthusiast Array DragDay7 PC Specs
    DragDay7 PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Z690-A PRIME DDR5
    ProcessorIntel i7-12700KF
    Memory (part number)Corsair 2x16GB 5600MHz CL36
    Graphics Card #1MSI 2080 Trio X
    MonitorHuawei MateView GT 34, Acer V247Y
    Storage #1Plextor PX-1TM10PGN
    CPU CoolerCustom EK Water Cooling
    CaseCorsair 5000D
    Power SupplyCorsair RM 750
    Keyboard SteelSeries APEX 7
    Mouse Logitech G403
    Headset Shure SRH 440
    Mouse Pad DreamMachines
    OS Windows 11
    Network RouterAsus RT-AC68U
    Accessory #1 Fanatec Porsche 911 GT3 RS V2

I remember that pain. I used to backup everything before wiping PC. It always took me a day to get it up and running. Now I'm trying to keep my OS and drive as clean as possible. Reinstalling Windows, daily apps takes me about an hour. If there's something on my PC that bugs me and I'm not happy with it I just wipe it and forget it. 10 out of 10 feeling xD

New ROGer Array Wingclip PC Specs
    Wingclip PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS ROG Z490 Maximus XII Formula LGA 1200
    ProcessorIntel i9-11900K (OC’d 5.2 GHz)
    Memory (part number)T-Force XTreem 3600MHz, 32GB (2 x 16 gb)
    Graphics Card #1Ventus x3 GeForce RTX-3080 Ti
    Sound CardOn-board Realtek 5.1 system
    MonitorPhilips Model 328E1, 4K, 3840 x 2160 x 60Hz
    Storage #1[5] internal SSD’s (500GB each) & [1] Internal Crucial NVMe SSD 1TB
    Storage #2[[1] external Seagate MomentusX, 1TB SSHD
    CPU CoolerEKWB EK-XTOP DDC 3.2 PWM Elite pump
    CaseCorsair 780T case, (white)
    Power SupplyEVGA Supernova 1300G2 1300W PSU
    Keyboard Logitech G910
    Mouse Logitech G602
    Mouse Pad Corsair Steel Series
    Headset/Speakers Logitech Z906 5.1 system
    OS Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Network RouterXfinity 1000
    Accessory #1 Dual reservoir for a total 900 mL cooling system
    Accessory #2 [2] Full copper Swiftech Radiators: 240 mm (Top-side) and 120 mm (Front) all push/pull fan config
    Accessory #3 4] Corsair LL120 RGB fans and [4] Corsair RGB strips (iCUE)

... OK, It's been a few days because I had to drain the cooling system and then play that entire CPU-switch out from the i7-10700K to the i9-11900K and then refill the system. Anyway, I got through it all and installed the 3080 Ti as well.

However, something has definitely gone south. I booted to the UEFI and I must've spent about 40 minutes or more just checking and reconsidering some profile changes I thought I wanted to make. I should've just gone on with the system boot-up and now I wish I had.

I know that I was in that UEFI for at least 35 to 45 minutes and I altered my active OC profile that I ran for the i7-10700K, with some other 'test' changes. Changes that would affect the RAM, (Dram Timings) and some CPU speed alternatives.

I saved the changes as separately named and assigned Profiles. I finally rebooted after I first selected one of the "alternate" profiles that I created and saved. I wanted to boot to the UEFI again so I could see the specs from the changes but after the computer started, shutdown and restarted 2 or 3 times, it didn't startup again.

When I pushed the Start button, I couldn't get it to stay on for more than a few seconds. It was as if it was telling me that the system was running hot. But if you're familiar with the Maximus XII Formula, you know that you can see the temperature of the CPU directly on the boards display screen. It was only 36C so I cleared the CMOS after waiting about 10 minutes and booted back to the UEFI.

I selected the other, less aggressive "alternate" profile that I had saved. After I rebooted, the computer barely got to the UEFI before it shutdown again. I had to go take care of some things downstairs so it was about 30 minutes before I got back and once again, I cleared the CMOS.

This time, I booted to the UEFI and selected the Profile that I had first started with. It was that profile which was active when I did my very first startup earlier, (after the new hardware installs), and this time, the computer got all the way to the Windows boot screen before it froze up.

So I held down the shift key and pressed the restart button. I rebooted to the screen that offered the various troubleshooting options and selected the "Safe Mode with Networking".

That got me to the Windows logon screen and from there, I ran the 3080 Ti Nvidia driver installer. At that point, I was about to click on "Accept" in the developers logo/installer screen when the computer abruptly shut down! No BSOD, no 'Black screen'. It just shut down in the middle of that driver installation process! (I hate to think what that may have messed up).

I'm very inclined to believe that I've inadvertently made a change in the UEFI that will respond and shutdown the computer if one or more conditions are, or are not, met. When I was in the UEFI for that long period of time (40 to 45 minutes after the initial startup from the hardware installation), I took a lot of screenshots in a coordinated sequence.

I'm hoping that I can spot whatever it was that I changed to cause this sudden shutdown problem. If it was something that I changed, it would have to be something that is not affected when a new Profile is selected and activated, but what would that be?. As best as I can tell, when I clear the CMOS and boot to the UEFI, I don't have the shutdown issue.

But I can't be sure of that because I haven't left it in that startup state for very long before I would change the settings so I could run the computer. The issue seems to be an auto-protection setting to keep one of the hardware components from being harmed, but what? Am I "Throttling" or over-throttling something?

The CPU isn't overheating and I've checked all the connectors. Of course, the cooling system is running great and I don't believe it has anything to do with the graphics card because that card hasn't had a chance to get involved.

I'm beginning to wonder about the RAM and I may remove the sticks and make sure the contacts are clean and the sticks are seated in their slots correctly. But I have a strong suspicion about the UEFI settings and I wonder if anyone may recognize that 'sudden shutdown' characteristic as some sort of precautionary setting.

If so, what category do you think that kind of setting would be in? There's hundreds of settings and I don't know if I could pick it out from a screenshot or not, but that's where I'll have to start.
    Rich

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array geneo PC Specs
    geneo PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)13" Macbook Pro M1
    Sound CardOn-board
    CPU CoolerEK-AIO 360 D-RGB w/Phanteks T30 -120 fans, 1 Noctua Chromax 140 case fan
    Mouse Logitech G305
    Headset Bose QC15

It is a different generation of cpu. Your overclocking settings from the 10700k won’t apply. You will need to redo them. It is best to start from scratch to some level - load optimized defaults and work your way up from there.

Does it run ok when you load optimized defaults and boot with them?

The 11900k will run a lot hotter as will the 3080, and use more power. *Best not to install software on an unstable system. *
    Last edited by geneo; 07-31-2022 at 06:24 AM.

New ROGer Array Wingclip PC Specs
    Wingclip PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS ROG Z490 Maximus XII Formula LGA 1200
    ProcessorIntel i9-11900K (OC’d 5.2 GHz)
    Memory (part number)T-Force XTreem 3600MHz, 32GB (2 x 16 gb)
    Graphics Card #1Ventus x3 GeForce RTX-3080 Ti
    Sound CardOn-board Realtek 5.1 system
    MonitorPhilips Model 328E1, 4K, 3840 x 2160 x 60Hz
    Storage #1[5] internal SSD’s (500GB each) & [1] Internal Crucial NVMe SSD 1TB
    Storage #2[[1] external Seagate MomentusX, 1TB SSHD
    CPU CoolerEKWB EK-XTOP DDC 3.2 PWM Elite pump
    CaseCorsair 780T case, (white)
    Power SupplyEVGA Supernova 1300G2 1300W PSU
    Keyboard Logitech G910
    Mouse Logitech G602
    Mouse Pad Corsair Steel Series
    Headset/Speakers Logitech Z906 5.1 system
    OS Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Network RouterXfinity 1000
    Accessory #1 Dual reservoir for a total 900 mL cooling system
    Accessory #2 [2] Full copper Swiftech Radiators: 240 mm (Top-side) and 120 mm (Front) all push/pull fan config
    Accessory #3 4] Corsair LL120 RGB fans and [4] Corsair RGB strips (iCUE)

Thanks, I haven't tried optimized defaults, but keep in mind that it would do that sudden stop in the UEFI. I wasn't installing any software. I was installing the drivers for the 3080 Ti, which can, and should be installed in the safe mode.

The 11900K is different, yes, but not so when it comes to temps and OC specs. The i7-10700k actually runs hotter, but as I said, this is definitely not a CPU temp issue. The CPU never got above 37C. This has to be an error in something I set incorrectly having to do with the RAM or CPU and the precautionary/hardware safety settings.

It's 2 AM and I'm going to hang it up for the night. I've been going through some of the screenshots I took and so far, I've found at least 3 screenshots showing settings that I know I had altered. When I get after it tomorrow, I'm going to check to make sure they reverted back to their previous settings when I called up the profile that was working. They should have but I don't know until I check.

You'd have to read what I wrote to understand what I meant by that, but still, your suggestion about loading the default settings is a good one. My system won't boot to windows if I tried to do that with just the default settings, (frankly, I'm not sure if anyone could boot to the OS on default settings).

However, the default settings would greatly reduce a number of OC settings that I would have to change if I were to start with my OC profile and work back.
    Rich

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array geneo PC Specs
    geneo PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)13" Macbook Pro M1
    Sound CardOn-board
    Mouse Logitech G305
    Headset Bose QC15

I carefully read what you wrote.

The optimized default settings almost always will boot and be stable. Basically are non overlocked standard intel. *You can also choose to automatically have the bios set parameters to booth within intel specs. Before you go messing around with memory sticks, you should try these.*
    Last edited by geneo; 07-31-2022 at 07:39 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2