cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New build won't post to BIOS with 4k monitor, Black Screen

jonts
Level 7
Z690 Plus WIFI D4 with MSI 3080 GPU. Would not post to BIOS first time round.
I had to de-rate the monitor from HDMI 2.1 to HDMI 1.4 to get it to post. After installing the NVIDIA drivers, I switched back to HDMI 2.1 and all was fine.

Teething troubles with new stuff.
13 REPLIES 13

prymortal69
Level 7
Common issue with all 3000 series except the ones people updated with Nvidia firmware (3060ti & 3080ti DP port ONLY). The issue is so many things can affect it (psu, ram, Cables, GPU, MB Bios e.t.c.) they probably will never actually fix the faulty gpu boot (incorrect signal) problem all the others suffer from. Be glad you have HDMI & not DP1.4 & DP1.4a because it is much much worse! you need to use a HDMI after bio's upgrade before you can get DP signal returned on AMD & Intel, with any PSU, with any Ram, With any DP1.4 or higher port monitor (Even if set lower - some brands like LG) - You NEED to turn on the monitor BEFORE starting the PC or issues. Sad thing is it just happens out of nowhere & from then on "when it does work (Cmos reset - By removing battery because the button on the back doesn't always work for this issue.. in fact rare does/Power down cycle on monitor also not permanent)" you only get about 3 days before issues return. I did a post on here a while ago with most of the info this is just a fraction, but i've given up & waiting for 4000 series.

ahfoo
Level 13
It a good habit to turn on the monitor before you turn on your system, I being using DP for dual monitor set up from Nvidia series all the while. That the same thing applied ton HDMI.

I am having similar issues with my setup. Monitor plugged in to the graphics card will show "No input detected" until Windows loads so I can't get to BIOS. If I plug the monitor into the HDMI port on the motherboard I can get to BIOS. Haven't tried to continue to Windows from there. I am using a new HDMI 2.1 cable.

System components:
ASUS Z690-E motherboard
Core i9 12900K
CORSAIR Dominator DDR5 5600 32GB (2x16)
ASUS THOR 1200W PSU
ASUS GeForce 3080 OC 12GB
Samsung Odyssey G7 LS28AG700NNXZA 4K 144Hz HDMI 2.1 and DisplayPort 1.4
Windows 11 Home

So if I read the first post correctly installing the latest NVIDEA drivers may correct this? I did update to the latest ASUS GeFroce drivers.

Thanks for your help.

hdtvnut
Level 7
I have a 4K Acer on the hdmi (Win10) on a 3080ti and formerly a 2080ti, and it will not enter BIOS. If I switch to a 2k monitor, no problem. I think I upgraded drivers, but not recently, so try that.

I had similar with display port on my 360hz. Nearly had a cardiac arrest when I plugged my 3090TI into my Dark Hero and nothing happened on the screen and mine isn't a Nvidia PCB, it's Asus.

Glad it's sorted, it can cause some worry when that kind of thing happens!

Finally got around to trying to work this problem again. Installed the latest NVIDIA drivers (516.94). There is still no signal output from the graphics card until Windows loads. I still can't get into BIOS with this monitor/card combination.

Has anyone actually worked this issue out yet?

kcroberge wrote:
Finally got around to trying to work this problem again. Installed the latest NVIDIA drivers (516.94). There is still no signal output from the graphics card until Windows loads. I still can't get into BIOS with this monitor/card combination.

Has anyone actually worked this issue out yet?

Do you have just one LCD and what connection are you using from GPU to LCD?

You can look at my old topic about this problem, no solution was provided, even directly with the support, they only told me to change the screen LOL, my screen is recent however Asus VG27AQ.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?127551-3080Ti-Strix-OC-and-Display-port-problem!

I just have the one Samsung monitor connected using a HDMI 2.1 cable. All BIOS settings are default except the RAID array configuration. Not yet enabled XMP for RAM. Drivers for the Samsung monitor are current.