cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AC/DC loadline - high mohms means more voltage? - Z690 TUF

angrybluebird
Level 7
Hello,

i read an article and obviously misunderstood some information.

I set AC/DC load line values too 60 mOhms. But the article which is related to a MSI motherboard means 1/100 of the Asus value.

So it means 0.6 mOhms for Asus and 60 for MSI.

After i set the AC/DC loadline to 60/60 mOhms (no warning, resulting like usual in other color for the values), the system rebooted and said CPU overvoltage error and shows after getting into the bios, 1.732 V cpu voltage.

I was very scared and set the values both back too auto.

After setting the values to 0.4/0.4 mOhms for AC/DC load line i got nearly similar values like with loadline level 6.

My questions:

Why are higher Ohm values resulting in higher voltage?

Did the motherboard really set 1.732 V for cpu or is the shown value only a warning and the motherboard stopped higher values than x.x V (hopefully 1.5X V)? I don’t know where the maximum value for the motherboard is. Pls tell me.

Is only the vcore affected by my settings? Or also other voltages?

Is my hardware especially the cpu possible damaged?

Prime 95 is still running without failures. But i don’t know. 1.732V are sounding crazy high. Like instant kill for me.

The cpus overclocking potential is like 0 and undervolting does not really work. Noctua U12A is leading to 97 °C (1 core spike) while playing cs go with heating RTX 3090 350 W Founder Edition. Without cb r23 and prime 95 avx 2 small fft is nearly instantly running into the throttling wall (100 °C).

The high voltage on cpu is maybe another reason for swapping the cpu together with the cooler to a 280 mm AIO. Im really scared the cpu got a shot. Maybe its not dead but enormous degenerated. 1.732 V are maybe ok for 14 nm cpu but not 10 nm with air cooling.

Best regards

angrybluebird
6 REPLIES 6

Nate152
Hi angrybluebird

Since it gave you the CPU Overvoltage warning, it didn't apply 1.732v.

Try at default settings and see if temps are any better.

angrybluebird
Level 7
Hi Nate152,

Intel mod said here 1.72 V is the max. voltage for the cpu. 1.72 V would nearly match 1.732 v.

The bios has shown the 1.732 V on the first page (i didnt look under advanced mode for readings, because i was very scared and rushed fast to the settings page for removing the wrong values for ac/dc). Normally the reading on the first page after entering bios are correct. Im really confused.

Which vcore value does the motherboard apply when it warns? The last setting before adjusting the ac/dc values?

Default settings are not really helping. The temps are higher as using v/f curve offset of - 100 mV.

Edit:

You are wrong btw. The board has set the shown voltage of 1.732 v. The idle temps within bios has been more than doubled. Clear indicator this crazy voltage has been applied.

Ok, better i kick this cpu. Not only for this reason, it's also a bad overclocker and undervolter. Last is most important for me.

Nate152
If it's applying 1.732v to your cpu, you need to reset to defaults and check the voltage.

You could try using adaptive mode with a negative offset.

Nate152 wrote:
If it's applying 1.732v to your cpu, you need to reset to defaults and check the voltage.

You could try using adaptive mode with a negative offset.

I went with this method, applied voltage set to auto and a - .05 offset. Temps max around in 88 degrees with a Cinebench 23 10 min run with AIO on balanced . No issues so far.

I did have a related question if I may. I've been running with SVD Behaviour on Trained. My overall temps went down around 5-8 degrees. My question is, is the Trained setting intended for daily use according to ASUS specs? I assume it is but I come from a Z370 setup to the Z690 so the training feature is new for me.

trihy
Level 9
I´d noticed different boards brands use different scale for this.

On asus 0.10 is around stock voltage. More than 0.10 will overvolt, under 0.10 will undervolt. So you have to be careful.

I think those 60mohms means 0.06 on asus.

Undervolt by other settings like offset doesnt work on this boards, they cause random freeze. Asus needs to correct their bios but they are too slow. New gen is around the corner.

PerpetualCycle
Level 13
vcore = ACLL*Current - LLC*current (plus other stuff)

ACLL increases vcore voltage with load (current), LLC reduces it with load
DCLL should be set to LLC(in mohm) for correct application of power limits by the processor

LLC in mohm depends on the motherboard and processor. For my Hero/10900k, LLC5 = 0.8 mohm , so I have DCLL set to 0.8 mohm, and I am using ACLL = 0.01

ROG Hero XIII | 10900k @5.2 GHz | g.skill 2x32GB 4200 CL18 | ROG Strix 2070S | EK Nucleus 360 Dark | 6TB SSD/nvme, 16TB external HDD | 2x 1440p | Vanatoo speakers with Klipsch sub | Fractal Meshify 2 case