cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is wrong with my brand new rog AX11000?

jamez74_
Level 7
Hi all. I just bought this router about a week ago and the 2.4ghz performance is abysmal. In the room with the router I get about 100Mbps. If I take 5 steps out of the room I get 66Mbps when facing the router, if I turn my back it goes down to 1.5Mbps. If I move to 10 steps aways I get 6Mbps facing the router and again 1.5 if facing away. This is just down a straight hallway from the router. I tried using wifi analyzer and setting the channel to 11 as that seemed to be the best but performance isn't any better.

Thanks.
5 REPLIES 5

jamez74_
Level 7
Just an update. I noticed the boost button on the router was lit up so I pushed it until it was off and now the performance is quite a bit better. What is the boost button for if it makes performance worse? I don't believe I ever turned it on, that was the default setting.

Apparently this was set just to control the led but pushing it seems to randomly change the 2.4ghz performance and I am not sure why.

What firmware version is on the new AX11000? I had trouble with several releases for different reasons. Version 3.0.0.4.386_49599 was pretty stable, with some hiccups from time to time. I installed 3.0.0.4.386_49599 this morning. So far so good, but with Asus firmware i have learned to hold judgement for a few days. There is a history (in my experience) of things failing after 24 hours of running after firmware releases.

Also - what happens in the system log when you push that boost button? It should show the event of the button push and the settings that are changing.

j.christy.gt wrote:
What firmware version is on the new AX11000? I had trouble with several releases for different reasons. Version 3.0.0.4.386_49599 was pretty stable, with some hiccups from time to time. I installed 3.0.0.4.386_49599 this morning. So far so good, but with Asus firmware i have learned to hold judgement for a few days. There is a history (in my experience) of things failing after 24 hours of running after firmware releases.

Also - what happens in the system log when you push that boost button? It should show the event of the button push and the settings that are changing.

it has the newest firmware now but there was no change when I updated it. The log doesn't show anything when pushing the button but I have it set to only turn the LED on and off. I think the difference between pushing the button was just a coincidence. I can run the speed test in my house at the same spot and every once in a while it will run at a decent speed but most of the time it's under five

jamez74_ wrote:
it has the newest firmware now but there was no change when I updated it. The log doesn't show anything when pushing the button but I have it set to only turn the LED on and off. I think the difference between pushing the button was just a coincidence. I can run the speed test in my house at the same spot and every once in a while it will run at a decent speed but most of the time it's under five

maybe try a beta fw?

Saltgrass
Level 13
I like to check the link speed shown on the Router for the network. You can also check it in Windows. If it shows an expected speed, something else may be managing your bandwidth.

The AX11000 has been around for quite a while and mine, even though I have moved on to an AXE16000, the AX11000 always functioned well. The AXE16000 came with all the antenna already attached. I did not like having to attach all the antenna on the AX11000.
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200