cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has power, doesn't even try to power up

BakuVj
Level 7
Last night I turned my computer off and this morning it would not power on, I had encountered this issue when I originally built, I took it to the retailer and he found no errors, it was powering on when he used it. Same thing is happening again, any ideas?

I have swapped ram around, removed all external devices, reseated the cpu, etc etc reset and re flashed bios all that jazz, should I persist worth fix or just get it sent back?
9 REPLIES 9

emaratee
Level 9
Double check your EATX 8-pin connector ..

Hey,

did you try to turn your system on by pressing the internal power on button on the board? Or did you used the front panel power button? Maybe your front panel power switch connector has a defective contact.

Yesterday I couldn't reset my computer by pressing the front panel reset button, because the contact to the mainboard was defect. I plugged it out, press the pins a bit with my fingers and plugged it in again. After that, reset works without problems.

Greetings aznsteil

its not the power switch, its just that it wont turn on at all anymore, i don't even get the fans spinning up, i'll go and borrow a power supply today and check if its the psu again, otherwise back to retailer, and if they can't fix it, off to the supplier

HiVizMan
Level 40
Hello mate

Sorry to hear about your problem with the power up.

PSU is a good place to start. While you wait could you inspect each and every connector, occasionally the wires will pull out of the metal inserts.

One other thing please check that your motherboard is mounted correctly and that there are no contacts that cause cause your system to short out. Easy way to test is to take your motherboard out of the case and lay it onto of the box it came it. If it powers on then inspect your case there might be a visible clue as to where or what is causing the contact (short).

Let us know how the PSU worked out.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

when i got home today i grabbed an ancient 300 watt psu i have from a computer lying around, i plugged that in expected some sort of error code (4 pin power only, no 8 pin) and got nothing, so i think we have narrowed down the probelm to the motherboard 😕 last time the issue resolved itself, i'm gonna take it back to retailer and have them deal with it, either through a test rig or something else.

The issue i'm having seems to be happening to a number of people 😕

heres a bit more info

cpu 3930k
r4e mobo
hd6950
chaser mk 1 case
h80 push pull config
and a boatload of fans

The problem is two bent pins and one broken

BakuVj wrote:
The problem is two bent pins and one broken

bent pins where?
Rampage IV Extreme
3930k C2 stepping intel cpu
Gskill 32gb kit F3-17000CL9Q2-32GBZH
GTX 760
GTX 560ti
Areca 1882 Raid Controller
Crucial m4 SSDs 256gb two disk raid 0
Enermax 1350w maxrevo PSU
Cosmos 2 case

HiVizMan
Level 40
I take it that is the CPU socket on the motherboard. If so i am sorry to hear about the broken pin. Not sure there is much I can do to help you fix a broken pin. Bent can be fixed.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

yup, on the socket, sent it to be repaired/replaced already, and however that much will cost me, as i had previously been using it for 2 months with only bsod happening every now and then and myself trying to fix it thinking its a driver issue, i must say that it shows how good asus and intel's components work with such a large problem 😛 if the autopsy on the board says my fault, i pay repair, if not new board, hopefully it won't cost me anything 😛

but luckily, all the novels i ordered arrived not long after i got back from the retailer, so while it's away i won't be too bored

i would also like to praise arc computers in sydney for being so reasonable during this process, good customer service for reasonable prices