cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which is the best ASUS motherboard

Herls
Level 8
Hello,

I was wondering if someone could tell me what the absoute best, top of the line ASUS motherboard is. I cannot for the life of me figure it out using the ASUS website. Is it the Hero brand? The Crosshair brand? The Zenith brand?

I need a motherboard that handles AMD CPUs (gonna be putting the top of the line AMD CPU in, I believe thats the 9 5990 or something?) I would also like to run 256gb of RAM. I know that sounds ridiculous, but I'm building an enthusiast PC.

Can anyone tell me what it is?
4 REPLIES 4

world
Hey Herls,

Within the AMD side -- it depends on what socket you're looking at. The Zenith is for threadripper, while Crosshair is for the regular AMD socket. Within each sub-brand are a few products.

So, if you're looking for the top of the top, a threadripper system would make sense so you should check out the Zenith boards!

Hope this helps!

If you mean Ryzen 9 5950X, which is the top of the consumer/retail line, the top board is the Crosshair VIII Extreme. N.B. it's an EATX board which can be an issue for some cases; if you want ATX, then Crosshair VIII (Dark) Hero or Formula, Formula for custom water loop.

AMD made the 5000-series Threadrippers OEM-only, not for retail sale, although I believe you can get them if you really want them and have the $$$. The normal 5950X is like a mini-Threadripper and sufficient for most power users, but if you have pro money rather than enthusiast money, that's up to you. If you really need 256GB RAM, you'll need to go Threadripper, as AM4 5000 series is 128GB max. Threadripper would be on the Zenith line of boards, but I don't know if any support Threadripper 5000s due to the not-for-retail thing.

You might want to look into AM5 and the Ryzen 7000 series, as they are both imminent. ASUS have already announced the ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme, which will likely be their top AM5 board. I'm not sure if AM5 / X670 platform has the same 128GB limit as AM4 / X570, as the tech specs are still difficult to come by and in the pre-release stage.

Without knowing your exact plans and needs, I'd advise going for 5950X or 7950X (non-Threadripper, AM4/X570 or AM5/X670) unless you really have a good reason to go Threadripper pro. You can easily spend north of $10k at the top end of X570/670 platform, on a full system, if you want to.

If you'd like to run a system with 256GB's of RAM then it's only with a Threadripper processor. Yes, the Zenith models are top of the line. I have the Zenith Extreme motherboard and I have never looked back since.

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Hello,

Top of the line has different connotations depending on what you are looking to do.

For instance, what will the system be used for? Whilst 256GB of RAM sounds amazing, if this density isn't warranted performance may be lost.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090