ROG Member Array

Unable to enter BIOS and tried all the usual stuff

After converting to UEFI, I am unable to enter BIOS from my desktop. MB is a Asus ROG STRIX Z490-E GAMING
    This happened in Windows 10 and I've since upgraded to Windows 11 and the issue persists

None of the instructions that involve entering BIOS via Windows works because Windows when shut down will not reboot. I have to power off the PC and turn it back on and then it just boots straight into Windows. I never see POST, even after pulling out a SIMM (I was hoping that would force it into BIOS due to a HW change detected). I found one post somewhere that an Intel management driver breaks reboot so I disabled that but it didn't fix the issue.

I have fastboot enabled but I can't get into BIOS to disable it.

With power off, holding down DEL and then turning on just results in a hang. Doesn't boot into windows, nothing is displayed on screen, I have to power off and back on again. I'm completely stumped.

New ROGer Array Murph_9000 PC Specs
    Murph_9000 PC Specs
    MotherboardROG Crosshair VIII Extreme
    ProcessorAMD Ryzen 5950X
    Memory (part number)Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 CL16 (BL16G36C16U4B.M16FE1)
    Graphics Card #1ROG Strix Radeon™ RX 6750 XT OC Edition 12GB GDDR6
    MonitorROG Strix XG43UQ, XG27AQM
    Storage #1Seagate FireCuda 530
    CPU CoolerROG Ryujin II 360
    CaseROG Strix Helios
    Power SupplyROG Thor 1200W Platinum
    Keyboard ROG Strix Scope RX, ROG Claymore II
    Mouse ROG Keris Wireless, ROG Chakram X
    Headset ROG Delta S
    Mouse Pad ROG Scabbard II
    OS Windows 11 Pro
    Network RouterROG Rapture GT-AX6000
    Accessory #1 LINKUP Ultra PCIe 4.0 x16 Riser Cable - Right Angle - 20cm

Try rapidly tapping the Del key (and F2 is the alternative, if I remember correctly, for small keyboards) immediately after power on. Push the power button, then just rapidly keep hitting Del until you either get the BIOS or something else happens.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Murph_9000 View Post
    Try rapidly tapping the Del key (and F2 is the alternative, if I remember correctly, for small keyboards) immediately after power on. Push the power button, then just rapidly keep hitting Del until you either get the BIOS or something else happens.
    Tried that as well. Also hung, never saw anything appear on the screen and had to reboot.

I even swapped out my wireless keyboard for a USB just in case there was an issue with keyboard connection before windows loaded the logitech drivers.

New ROGer Array Murph_9000 PC Specs
    Murph_9000 PC Specs
    MotherboardROG Crosshair VIII Extreme
    ProcessorAMD Ryzen 5950X
    Memory (part number)Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 CL16 (BL16G36C16U4B.M16FE1)
    Graphics Card #1ROG Strix Radeon™ RX 6750 XT OC Edition 12GB GDDR6
    MonitorROG Strix XG43UQ, XG27AQM
    Storage #1Seagate FireCuda 530
    CPU CoolerROG Ryujin II 360
    CaseROG Strix Helios
    Power SupplyROG Thor 1200W Platinum
    Keyboard ROG Strix Scope RX, ROG Claymore II
    Mouse ROG Keris Wireless, ROG Chakram X
    Headset ROG Delta S
    Mouse Pad ROG Scabbard II
    OS Windows 11 Pro
    Network RouterROG Rapture GT-AX6000
    Accessory #1 LINKUP Ultra PCIe 4.0 x16 Riser Cable - Right Angle - 20cm

This is just a guess, but I suspect that you actually are getting into the BIOS, but that it's coming out of a different physical port on the back of the machine. BIOS on the wrong video port can look very much like a hung machine. Try the usual Del to enter BIOS stuff, and when it appears to have "hung", try connecting your monitor to all of the different video ports in turn (and give it a reasonable time on each, to allow the video stuff and monitor to wake up). Also, since it's Intel platform, try the motherboard video out that comes from the CPU's intergrated GPU (unless your CPU is a SKU with that feature disabled). BIOS video port selection can be odd sometimes, and doesn't follow what Windows thinks is the "primary" monitor. Also, disconnect any secondary displays (and disconnect the cables at the PC end, some have active components in them), try this with just one display around all of the different ports (and do both DP & HDMI, assuming you have both).

Total guess, but it's the one thing I can think of that's a simple-ish problem and doesn't involve pulling the machine apart.
    Last edited by Murph_9000; 08-10-2022 at 09:01 PM. Reason: typo

ROG Member Array

I had the same thought so did disconnect one of my two monitors without luck. But I figured out a solution.
    I pulled the nvme that Windows is installed on.
    Instantly on reboot I see the asus splash screen and got into bios
    I booted into memtest86 from there and that will run until the AM. Then I can see with fastboot off if I can get into bios with the nvme back in.
    Last edited by rawbar; 08-11-2022 at 03:13 AM.

ROG Member Array

fwiw, turning fastboot off didnt solve the problem once i put the nvme back in, but at least i have a workaround.

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array Saltgrass PC Specs
    Saltgrass PC Specs
    MotherboardMaximus XIII Hero
    Processori9 11900K
    Graphics Card #1EVGA RTX 3090 FTW
    Sound CardOn Board
    MonitorDell AW3420DW
    Storage #1Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB
    Storage #2Samsung 860 Pro 1 TB
    CPU CoolerCooler Master Hyper 212X
    CaseCooler Master
    Power SupplyAntec HCP Platinum 1000
    Keyboard ASUS Strix Flare
    Mouse ASUS Chakram
    Headset/Speakers Logitech wired 5.1
    OS Win 10 Pro
    Network RouterROG Rapture GT-AX11000/AXE11000
    Accessory #1 VR Headset
    Accessory #2 Saitek X52

Quote Originally Posted by rawbar View Post
    I had the same thought so did disconnect one of my two monitors without luck. But I figured out a solution.
    I pulled the nvme that Windows is installed on.
    Instantly on reboot I see the asus splash screen and got into bios
    I booted into memtest86 from there and that will run until the AM. Then I can see with fastboot off if I can get into bios with the nvme back in.
    It would not be the first time your situation has stopped a system from booting normally. If the NVMe drive is corrupted the system may have the situation you are describing. Since you just converted a Legacy install to a UEFI install, perhaps that process failed, or you are not booting using UEFI version of the drive.