ROG Guru: White Belt Array

Enable XMP, please.

The A/F TUF laptop series are pretty sweet laptops even when restricted as much as they are.

I have seen a lot in forums where some laptops have "secret" Dev options in BIOS that allow for the adjustment of a lot of things. The key one I saw a lot of people unlock was XMP. For the record, this is on laptops that "don't support" XMP. Some make more adjustments to CPU stuff and what not to boost frequencies, but most just ended up enabling XMP, sticking in some RIpjaws and running CL18 tight timings and reaping the rewards. WITH NO ISSUES. Some even go as far as to modify the BIOS just to get those options. It is also forum renown you guys dropped the iron curtain on this.

I'm not asking for DDR4 3800MHZ CL16, just access to the tighter timings on high binned ram kits. Same thing with the newer DDR5 kits. It would be nice to actually have the full performance of a kit even if the frequencies stay the same.

You guys are leaving a lot of performance on the table here.

Here's a prime example: https://www.reddit.com/r/GamingLapto...anced_bios_on/

See, still 3200mhz but much better timings. This right here is what we want.
    Last edited by Ragnaraz690; 08-11-2022 at 11:52 AM.

Administrator Array MasterC@ROG's Avatar

There's a thread dedicated for laptop suggestions, you can join the discussion there:

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...ggestions-Here!

Administrator Array Silent Scone@ROG's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnaraz690 View Post
    The A/F TUF laptop series are pretty sweet laptops even when restricted as much as they are.

I have seen a lot in forums where some laptops have "secret" Dev options in BIOS that allow for the adjustment of a lot of things. The key one I saw a lot of people unlock was XMP. For the record, this is on laptops that "don't support" XMP. Some make more adjustments to CPU stuff and what not to boost frequencies, but most just ended up enabling XMP, sticking in some RIpjaws and running CL18 tight timings and reaping the rewards. WITH NO ISSUES. Some even go as far as to modify the BIOS just to get those options. It is also forum renown you guys dropped the iron curtain on this.

I'm not asking for DDR4 3800MHZ CL16, just access to the tighter timings on high binned ram kits. Same thing with the newer DDR5 kits. It would be nice to actually have the full performance of a kit even if the frequencies stay the same.

You guys are leaving a lot of performance on the table here.

Here's a prime example: https://www.reddit.com/r/GamingLapto...anced_bios_on/

See, still 3200mhz but much better timings. This right here is what we want.

Hello,

Whilst some may not experience issues, others might. Memory overclocking is fraught with conditional elements at an electrical level that need to be taken into consideration.. From a support perspective, the user making adjustments such as this on a closed system is no joke especially if introducing new modules. However, as above you can air your views on this in the feedback thread.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Scone@ROG View Post
    Hello,

Whilst some may not experience issues, others might. Memory overclocking is fraught with conditional elements at an electrical level that need to be taken into consideration.. From a support perspective, the user making adjustments such as this on a closed system is no joke especially if introducing new modules. However, as above you can air your views on this in the feedback thread.
    I understand that, but having use a few ROG motherboards and reading around a bit there are plenty of software failsafe mechanisms that could be implemented, as simple as reverting back to the last stable setting and the memory learning/healing.

Basically, if people can mod BIOS files and or rewrite SPD values at home to settings close to XMP CL18 timings(or the same) on DDR4 at stock voltage, I don't see why you guys can't implement an optimisation software that allows highly binned ram kits to tweak timings to the ram/systems potential. It's not like it's asking for 3800mhz and a rework of the infinity fabric at 1.35v.

I have commented in the Zeph notebook feedback/suggestions as well.