cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Get Rid of "Warning" ! and Notices in Router Admin Pages?

dpwhite
Level 9
I am paying close attention to my new GS-AX3000's configuration. And I keep seeing the yellow "!" in the upper-right flashing as shown in the attachment. I know and understand these warnings and I choose to ignore them. I need things this way for access to my USB drive. How can I make them go away (beyond letting the router do what it wants instead of what I want)? It seems that there should be a "ignore/do not show again" ability. Thanks
4 REPLIES 4

jzchen
Level 14
I actually have a similar setting set for my AXE16000 because I have no clue what the user name and password are otherwise. (Not a surprise there is no manual for the AXE16000 as well)...

jzchen wrote:
I actually have a similar setting set for my AXE16000 because I have no clue what the user name and password are otherwise. (Not a surprise there is no manual for the AXE16000 as well)...

I believe that these are the same as used for logging into the router's admin pages. Cheers

dpwhite wrote:
I believe that these are the same as used for logging into the router's admin pages. Cheers

I honestly think I did try that, but I hopefully tried. Since I saved the login on Chrome I manually entered the password and successfully logged into ASUSwrt. When I tried to open the drive on Windows File Explorer it asked me to log in. I tried the same credentials as you note, and it says:

"The user name or password is incorrect."

They are admin admin . (Could have sworn I tried that also, but this time it worked)!

jzchen wrote:
I honestly think I did try that, but I hopefully tried. Since I saved the login on Chrome I manually entered the password and successfully logged into ASUSwrt. When I tried to open the drive on Windows File Explorer it asked me to log in. I tried the same credentials as you note, and it says:

"The user name or password is incorrect."

They are admin admin . (Could have sworn I tried that also, but this time it worked)!

1. I was actually thinking first of the ftp credentials. The real reason I am using anonymous access on ftp is that without it, the router seems to do ftp ONLY in passive mode - unless I turn WAN access ON. I have too many ftp clients that do NOT support passive mode so going anonymous was the easiest solution.

2. But I just tried disabling guest access in SMB - clicked the switch, then clicked the Apply below it yielding (a) a lengthy period of applying settings and (b) the enabling of the SMB user's area left of the USB disk as shown in the attachment. What is shown there is my login user name (blanked out). Before disabling, the same was shown except it was disabled. I then tried to connect to the SMB from Win10. It showed me the mount point (\\Gs-ax3000-f7e8) and I could double-click on it and it showed the folders below that. When trying to access any of the sub-folders, I was prompted for user id/password. I gave the login credentials for the router and I was in! I also noted that the + to the right and above the default user (my router login user) was also now enabled. If you hit that, you should be able to create a user that has the same credentials as your Windows user and in this way I think you will not be prompted as Windows should hand those credentials to SMB. However, I think you will have to specify access rights to the folders. In my case, I need to have various users access the drive so don't want to have create all of those users and their rights. So guest access was the easiest way to go. Also, making sure that the WorkGroup name matches that of your Windows computer is needed for the greatest convenience. Otherwise it is more difficult to even find the SMB mount point and the Windows hand-off of your Windows user credentials may not work .

For all of this SMB to work you must have SMB 1.0 installed in your WIndows. I presume you do as it sounds like you are using guest access. But for others, it is required even though less secure than is ideal. In my case, all of this is behind another firewall from my ISP's modem/router. So I am not worried too much.

Cheers