cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG MAXIMUS Z690 HERO - M.2_3 issue

Tejc__
Level 7
Does anyone have an idea why my SSD sometimes disconnects from M.2_3 slot. My primary SSD Samsung 980 PRO 500GB NVMe on M.2_1 slot works OK, but my secondary SSD Samsung 980 PRO 2TB NVMe on M.2_3 slot sometimes just disconnect, so i need to restart PC, sometimes also restart don't work so I need to full shutdown PC that my PC reconnect SSD and work normally. Any idea what can be problem ?

Tnx Matej

13 REPLIES 13

Nate152
Hi Tejc_

A couple things to try.

Reset bios to default settings.

Update to the latest bios.

Check Samsung Magician for a firmware update.

Run windows CHDSK on the secondary drive if you're able to.

Hi Nate152

Thanks for fast response.

Reset bios to default settings. - DONE

Update to the latest bios. - Tried, but last BIOS is worst so i stayed on 1505.

Check Samsung Magician for a firmware update. - DONE, all last firmware

Run windows CHDSK on the secondary drive if you're able to. - DONE, no errors.

mr_allroy
Level 9
Try swapping the NVME drives and see if you still get issues. That could show you whether it's the drive or the port and if neither, you've at least ruled out the drive and port as being the cause of your issue.

Hi mr_allroy

I tried and relocate my Samsung 2TB SSD from M.2_3 slot to M.2_2 slot and after 2-3 days of testing, today SSD lost connection again. Is that proof 100% is problem in SSD and not motherboard, i mean, could be that 2 M.2 slot can be defected ?

Thx,

PS.
I need advice on which alternative 2TB SSD you recommend that is compatible with the Z690 Hero motherboard.

Tejc__ wrote:
Hi mr_allroy

I tried and relocate my Samsung 2TB SSD from M.2_3 slot to M.2_2 slot and after 2-3 days of testing, today SSD lost connection again. Is that proof 100% is problem in SSD and not motherboard, i mean, could be that 2 M.2 slot can be defected ?

Thx,

PS.
I need advice on which alternative 2TB SSD you recommend that is compatible with the Z690 Hero motherboard.

I would say it looks like you ssd is the issue. I would get in touch with samsung and start an RMA asap. Do you have another pc to test that ssd in? That would let you know for sure if it's your drive or you mobo.

I really don't follow reviews of ssd/nvme drives but I think the drives you have are fine with this mobo. I'm running 2 1TB and 1 2TB versions of the Western Digital SN850 drives and they seem fine so far. Perhaps someone with more knowledge can chime in with some recommendations.

Anyways,. good luck.

Thx for fast response.

mr_allroy wrote:
I would say it looks like you ssd is the issue. I would get in touch with samsung and start an RMA asap. Do you have another pc to test that ssd in? That would let you know for sure if it's your drive or you mobo.

I really don't follow reviews of ssd/nvme drives but I think the drives you have are fine with this mobo. I'm running 2 1TB and 1 2TB versions of the Western Digital SN850 drives and they seem fine so far. Perhaps someone with more knowledge can chime in with some recommendations.

Anyways,. good luck.

Pretty sure this is an issue with older BIOS.
I fixed with help from an earlier post so look back as I don't remember.
I have 2 x 980pro and the same happened to me until I made the change.
Doesn't happen on the newer BIOS anyway.

Tejc__ wrote:
Hi mr_allroy

Thx,

PS.

Pretty sure this is an issue with older BIOS.
I fixed with help from an earlier post so look back as I don't remember.
I have 2 x 980pro and the same happened to me until I made the change.
Doesn't happen on the newer BIOS anyway.

i ALSO THOUGHT IT WAS A HARDWARE FAULT. F MY CAPS LOCK!!

Skhitzo, which BIOS are you using?