cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reset button turn off instantly the PC?

trihy
Level 9
Hi guys. I'm wondering why reset button act this way.

When I press the reset button, system shutdown instantly, even the power led goes off and system turn on by itself after 2 or 3 seconds.

I mean, when using reset on other systems, they won't completely turn off, they just reset or reboot without turning completely off the system.

Any ideas is this behavior can be changed to usual reset?

B660m plus wifi board here.

Thanks.
14 REPLIES 14

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi trihy,
Do you want to restart the pc but the power led remaining on?
Please click restart in windows to see if it meets you needs.
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi trihy,
Do you want to restart the pc but the power led remaining on?
Please click restart in windows to see if it meets you needs.
Thank you.

Hi. Sure, but wanted to do that with the reset button on the case/motherboard.

For when Windows crash and need to reset using the case button. HDDs doesn't like too much hard shutdown holding the power button and prefer the kind of soft reboot the reset button offers. Older boards just reset as it should pressing that button. Not sure what could had changed.

Using restart on Windows works fine with the expected behavior (led stay on)

This is just a guess, but you should double check which motherboard header pins the reset switch is connected to. The behaviour you describe could be caused by it shorting out one of the power rails, rather than just bridging the reset switch contacts on the front panel header. E.g. if connected across +V and ground on a fan or RGB header, that could potentially trip the power supply's protection when the switch is pressed, causing the power supply to shut down.

trihy
Level 9
Yes. Next time I open the case will double check that. But since it shutdown and restart by itself when pressing the button, I think it's not related to a wrong connection, but surely will check that.

If someone can confirm the expected behavior when pressing reset button on this boards, suely will have to check.

On the manual I can see ground, rstcon and a NC pin. At wost it could had been connected between rstcon and NC pin which I think it's an empty pin. There are no more pins where could got wrongly connected to.

PerpetualCycle
Level 13
The reset button will power down the PC.That is what is supposed to do.

If you want to cleanly shutdown the computer (not loosing power), either press the on/off button and release it, or select shutdown from Windows.
If you want to restart the PC, select restart from Windows.

ROG Hero XIII | 10900k @5.2 GHz | g.skill 2x32GB 4200 CL18 | ROG Strix 2070S | EK Nucleus 360 Dark | 6TB SSD/nvme, 16TB external HDD | 2x 1440p | Vanatoo speakers with Klipsch sub | Fractal Meshify 2 case

trihy
Level 9
Hi. I'm just talking about case buttons. Not software buttons.

On other builds the case reset button didn't shutdown the system completely, just restarted it without the power led going off.

trihy wrote:
Hi. I'm just talking about case buttons. Not software buttons.

On other builds the case reset button didn't shutdown the system completely, just restarted it without the power led going off.

The reset button on your case in recent year mobo perform a reset process inclusive of power shutdown and restart the power on the system again automatically to boot into the windows system again. It for when you reach a certain time your system are not responsive with screen freeze, BSOD and you cannot used your mouse to perform a software restart.

trihy
Level 9
Thanks. So I guess this is the way it works now. Seems like a killer option for HDDs drives but well, hope they can resist.

trihy wrote:
Thanks. So I guess this is the way it works now. Seems like a killer option for HDDs drives but well, hope they can resist.

Bro, not to worry. Now a day the HDD tolerance level very high. The damage will be minimal. Just enjoy your computing experience.