cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG MAXIMUS Z690 FORMULA Memory detect issue.

ssstrong
Level 8
Hello, i have current build of

12700KF
Rog Maximus Z690 FORMULA
RTX 2070 SUPER
850 WATT PSU MSI GOLD
ADATA 4800 DDR5 16 GB X 2 inserted in A2/B2 slot

I have this build for 8 months without any issues.

Things started one week ago during play VIDEO game, the screen freezed and restated without any blue screen. After couple of days same thing happen during game but this time i could not get the computer to boot. It was showing me error "Memory detect" in the mother board small screen.

I get it to boot up again by changing ram slots to A1/B1, now working fine even during gaming, no crash no freeze but the speed is 4000 not 4800 as it was before.

I changed it back to original slot. Sometime it doesnt boot up and showing memory detect error. Sometime it boot up but would freeze and restart during playing video game or any demanding tasks.

Now if i put single ram in A2 slot it show me memry detect error, single ram in B2 slot work fine but also the speed is 4000 not 4800.

Could it be the A2 got defective ? Or the ram defective because of higher speed of that slot ?

Thanks

------------------------

Edit: found solution.

I tried to loose the mounting pressure and it worked fine for couple of days then get memory detect again.

so last thing i tried i get the Thermalright Intel 12th/13th Generation LGA1700 Anti-Bending Buckle, things are working fine for one month, i get Gskill 6600 16GB X 2 and so far no issue.

I hope this would help anyone getting the same issue.
22 REPLIES 22

ahfoo
Level 13
Can you try to put back the ram into A2 and B2, boot to bios and reset your bios. Try running default setting and play with the same game.

ahfoo wrote:
Can you try to put back the ram into A2 and B2, boot to bios and reset your bios. Try running default setting and play with the same game.

Thanks for your replay. Its now not booting if putted together A2 and B2 showing "Memory Detect" in the small screen. But if put in B2 Just, it works, and reseted the bios, nothing changed.

ssstrong wrote:
Thanks for your replay. Its now not booting if putted together A2 and B2 showing "Memory Detect" in the small screen. But if put in B2 Just, it works, and reseted the bios, nothing changed.

How about just puting one single ram in A2? will your system boot without error?

ahfoo wrote:
How about just puting one single ram in A2? will your system boot without error?

Hello,

putting single ram in A2 will give me either "Memory Detect", or the computer boot (4800 showing in bios) but freeze at windows login screen or after that.

RimuruTempest42
Level 7
Just had this exact same issue. Clearing CMOS only worked if keeping the memory at 4800 MHz. Updating the bios did’t work either. So I removed the dimms. Moved dimm B2 over to A2 left dimm the original A2 off, cleared CMOS again and rebooted. It hung on Memory Detect but eventually went into setup. Reset the XMP profile and save/restart. Suddenly everything is fine. Shut down. Insert original dimm A2 into B2, boot, it hangs on Memory Detect for a few seconds, passes it, does a memory test, then does a restart cycle, Memory Detect again, passes that again, memory test, and finally boots like normal. Something is definitely going on with these boards though. I’m curious what BIOS version you’re running and if it’s possibly a v1601 error.

System:
BIOS 1601 (Memory Detect Error first occurred)
BIOS 1720
12900KF
Maximus Z690 Formula
G.Skill 5600 MHz DDR5 32GBx2
EVGA RTX 3080 10GB
EVGA 1000 G5 PSU*

RimuruTempest428 wrote:
Just had this exact same issue. Clearing CMOS only worked if keeping the memory at 4800 MHz. Updating the bios did’t work either. So I removed the dimms. Moved dimm B2 over to A2 left dimm the original A2 off, cleared CMOS again and rebooted. It hung on Memory Detect but eventually went into setup. Reset the XMP profile and save/restart. Suddenly everything is fine. Shut down. Insert original dimm A2 into B2, boot, it hangs on Memory Detect for a few seconds, passes it, does a memory test, then does a restart cycle, Memory Detect again, passes that again, memory test, and finally boots like normal. Something is definitely going on with these boards though. I’m curious what BIOS version you’re running and if it’s possibly a v1601 error.

System:
BIOS 1601 (Memory Detect Error first occurred)
BIOS 1720
12900KF
Maximus Z690 Formula
G.Skill 5600 MHz DDR5 32GBx2
EVGA RTX 3080 10GB
EVGA 1000 G5 PSU*

Hello, Thanks for your replay.

I cleared the CMOS, with same results, either computer boot and freeze at login screen or showing me "Memory Detect" issue.

the problem is that my ADTA 4800 Ram are not XMP supporting. so there are not XMP options. Just ASUS Memory something.

The Bios version is latest one 1720.

I don't know, but its like putting RAM in A2 and B2 will boot at 4800 which will not work (either not boot up or boot then freeze), but putting rams in A1 and B1 will boot at 4000 which works fine. i don't know should i buy new rams to check ? could two rams get same issue same time ? or is it hardware issue within the MB ?

Thanks

Update

Hello guys, i broght two new rams GSKILL TRIDENT Z 6600 16GB X 2

Using the A2 + B2, i got the memory detect issue.

Putting them in A1 + B1, works but on 4000mhz, enabling XMP or disaling didnt help.

So is it MB issue now ? Could be CPU ? anyhelp please ?

Thanks

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Hello,

Could be a contact issue. Remove the CPU cooler and CPU whilst checking for any bent pins. Reseat the CPU and cooler, ensuing even mounting pressure.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Hello

I did multiple trial by removing the ram and clear cmos.

I put it now in A2 B2, it works now and show speed of 4800 and i enabled XMP I and showed me speed of 6600.

But the problem happened in the two condition that after login to windows the system freeze and crash while playing video game or doing CPU-Z stress. (This doesnt happen when the rams using A1 B1 whit 4000 Speed)

Its really wierf issue and i dont know what or where the problem or what to change