cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading to the GT-AXE16000

david_mckee1
Level 7
My GT-AXE16000 is finally on the way, and I'll be installing it tomorrow. My challenge is, with past experiences with new ASUS routers, I'm not sure if I should install this as the primary router to begin with or as a node until it's been released for a while and people have stress-tested it. I can't find any meaningful information on how it's performing, which isn't necessarily a bad thing; it's probably actually a good sign. I'm currently using the AX10000 as my primary.

Can anyone comment on the stability of the GT-AXE16000 in a high-demand setup? (+100 devices, 50/50 wired/wireless - 6 AiMesh nodes - 2-10TB's of daily activity)

Thank you
15 REPLIES 15

ahfoo
Level 13
Head straight for main router to maximize it potential. That the way to stress the way the router as this price you paid for supposed to be. The AXE11000 is the beast not meant for node in my opinion.

Saltgrass
Level 13
I don't have that many devices, but it seems stable. I did have to set up IPv6 to make sure it was operational. I suppose, if the AX11000 was stable in your situation, the AXE16000 should be also.

Depending on how you set up your nodes, the extra 5 GHz radio makes it so you still have 3 radios available, assuming you can take advantage of the 6 GHz band.
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

Saltgrass wrote:
I don't have that many devices, but it seems stable. I did have to set up IPv6 to make sure it was operational. I suppose, if the AX11000 was stable in your situation, the AXE16000 should be also.

Depending on how you set up your nodes, the extra 5 GHz radio makes it so you still have 3 radios available, assuming you can take advantage of the 6 GHz band.

Thank you. After a couple of years of fighting with the 11000, I was finally able to make a stable network. I want to avoid the chaos I experienced so I'm hesitant. Do you use a combination of 2.4G and 5G?

btrach144
Level 7
I had the AXE11000 but there were serious stability issues with my Logitech Circle View security cameras dropping from 2.4 GHz WiFi. Some firmware update this year though finally made the connection stable (firmware notes noted that they increased “device capability” so it wasn’t just my imagination).

Now that I moved to AXE16000, my Logitech Circle View security cameras are back to being unstable/unviewable due to inability to connect. It’s very frustrating. Hopefully this will be fixed AGAIN in a later firmware update.

IDK why I do this to myself.*

btrach144 wrote:
I had the AXE11000 but there were serious stability issues with my Logitech Circle View security cameras dropping from 2.4 GHz WiFi. Some firmware update this year though finally made the connection stable (firmware notes noted that they increased “device capability� so it wasn’t just my imagination).

Now that I moved to AXE16000, my Logitech Circle View security cameras are back to being unstable/unviewable due to inability to connect. It’s very frustrating. Hopefully this will be fixed AGAIN in a later firmware update.

That's what I kept asking myself over and over again while trying to "fix" my ASUS routers. I finally fugured it out. Here's from my old post:

I've fully eliminated the following issues:
2.4Ghz issues. Limited connectivity, no connections, unable to connect and extremely low bandwidth.
Reboots are required for 2.4Ghz connections to work every day or less
Log errors: "not mesh client, can't update it's ip"
Log errors: already exist in UDB, can't add it

To fix all three issues, here's what I did. I don't know exactly which change fixed each specific issue but as I said above, I'm 100% happy now with no connection errors or random freezes.

Disable all guest networks.
Toggle off the "Traffic Analyzer - Statistic" option on the Traffic Analyzer page.

I don't have the patients to track down issues again if I swap out to the 16000 as the primary.

I have high 30 to 41 devices connected, most of which are 5 GHz and the remaining few are 2.4 GHz.

I have not noticed any specific concerns. I immediately set it as primary router. (I do not have a Guest network setup, which seems to may cause various issues, at least with other models).

I think you have a good idea that IF you have issues move it to a node until a new firmware is released, (of course after trying various setting changes. There appear to be more settings options vs my AXE11000)...

EDIT- (I reread my post and realized I didn't quantify the number of wired devices, which I would guess may be around 40 - 50 %. Then mostly 5 GHz as mentioned)...

david.mckee1 wrote:
That's what I kept asking myself over and over again while trying to "fix" my ASUS routers. I finally fugured it out. Here's from my old post:

I've fully eliminated the following issues:
2.4Ghz issues. Limited connectivity, no connections, unable to connect and extremely low bandwidth.
Reboots are required for 2.4Ghz connections to work every day or less
Log errors: "not mesh client, can't update it's ip"
Log errors: already exist in UDB, can't add it

To fix all three issues, here's what I did. I don't know exactly which change fixed each specific issue but as I said above, I'm 100% happy now with no connection errors or random freezes.

Disable all guest networks.
Toggle off the "Traffic Analyzer - Statistic" option on the Traffic Analyzer page.

I don't have the patients to track down issues again if I swap out to the 16000 as the primary.

Hi

I am coming from a Google Mesh network where I am having some IoT device connection problems and I am considering the ASUS 16000 for a few reasons. The question I have is about the guest networks. I maintain one for visitors when they are over I don't want to give them our main log in credentials Are you saying in order to prevent loss of connectivity you cannot have a Guest Network?

I wouldn't have a problem turning off the traffic analyzer, but I do want to maintain that guest network. Thanks for your input.

Sturmrider wrote:
Hi

I am coming from a Google Mesh network where I am having some IoT device connection problems and I am considering the ASUS 16000 for a few reasons. The question I have is about the guest networks. I maintain one for visitors when they are over I don't want to give them our main log in credentials Are you saying in order to prevent loss of connectivity you cannot have a Guest Network?

I wouldn't have a problem turning off the traffic analyzer, but I do want to maintain that guest network. Thanks for your input.

I can't speak with absolute certainty for all setups, but yes, in my case, enabling guest networks caused serious ongoing problems. Immediately after disabling them, I was good to go without a single problem since. I couldn't be happier now with my setup, minus the lack of guest networks and traffic monitoring. It's why I'm a bit reluctant to add the 16000 as my primary. It took way to long to get everything lined out.

btrach144 wrote:
I had the AXE11000 but there were serious stability issues with my Logitech Circle View security cameras dropping from 2.4 GHz WiFi. Some firmware update this year though finally made the connection stable (firmware notes noted that they increased “device capability� so it wasn’t just my imagination).

I initially had the same problem with instability. My big mistake was assuing I could load my AXE11000 settings into the AXE16000. It worked but it turned out to be the source of all my instability. I have a 5 router mesh. I currently have the AXE11000 as a wired mesh node and the 16000 is the primary.

I Reset all my routers to factory default. installed my 16000 as the primary then added in the mesh nodes . Everything has been great for the last couple months.