cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Guest Network Problems on GT-AX11000 AiMesh Network

ceglia
Level 9
Hi,

New to the forums. I have an AiMesh network composed of two GT-AX11000 routers connected to one another via ethernet. I have various devices connected to the 2.4Ghz, 5Ghz and 5Ghz-1 bands and they are able to connect to the main router or the mesh node without any problems. So far, so good.

I recently set up a Guest Network using the 2.4Ghz band. All devices can connect to the Guest Network via the main router, but they cannot connect to the Guest Network via the mesh node.

Both GT-AX11000's are running the same latest firmware that is supposed to add support for the Guest Network across all mesh nodes. I enabled the "All" nodes option on Guest Network to ensure devices could connect to any node on the mesh network, but I can't get any device on the Guest Network to connect to the mesh node, even if they're sitting on top of the node and the main router is on an entirely different floor of the house.

I have exchanged various emails with tech support, but so far, they haven't been of any help. Anyone know what the issue might be? Details of my network are set out below....

Main Router: GT-AX11000 firmware 3.0.0.4.386_49599
AiMesh Node: GT-AX11000 firmware 3.0.0.4.386_49599
Guest Network Band: 2.4Ghz, "All" Mesh Nodes enabled
AiMesh Node connects to the Main Router with Cat6 Ethernet via a 2.5Gbit Network Switch (using 2.5Gbit ports on both routers)
Non-Guest Networks work perfectly across all nodes (2.4Ghz, 5Ghz, 5Ghz-1)
Tried removing the switch and connecting the two routers directly, just in case that would make a difference.... it doesn't.

Thanks!
30 REPLIES 30

jzchen
Level 14
I'm assuming you've already tried various reboots, ie node and system?

jzchen wrote:
I'm assuming you've already tried various reboots, ie node and system?

yes, tried rebooting several times, no luck.

Saltgrass
Level 13
ceglia wrote:
Hi,

New to the forums. I have an AiMesh network composed of two GT-AX11000 routers connected to one another via ethernet. I have various devices connected to the 2.4Ghz, 5Ghz and 5Ghz-1 bands and they are able to connect to the main router or the mesh node without any problems. So far, so good.

I recently set up a Guest Network using the 2.4Ghz band. All devices can connect to the Guest Network via the main router, but they cannot connect to the Guest Network via the mesh node.

Both GT-AX11000's are running the same latest firmware that is supposed to add support for the Guest Network across all mesh nodes. I enabled the "All" nodes option on Guest Network to ensure devices could connect to any node on the mesh network, but I can't get any device on the Guest Network to connect to the mesh node, even if they're sitting on top of the node and the main router is on an entirely different floor of the house.

Thanks!

This looks interesting but it is on an AXE16000. If you change it to include the AiMesh nodes, does it make it work?

Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

Saltgrass wrote:
This looks interesting but it is on an AXE16000. If you change it to include the AiMesh nodes, does it make it work?

No, unfortunately that does not work. In the GT-AX11000 router admin UI, that option is "ALL AiMesh Node(s)" (see image below), and it's set to that option for the Guest Network. But it doesn't seem to make any difference.

Saltgrass
Level 13
Are you using a computer to check the situation? If so, what are you seeing when you try to access the AiMesh nodes.

If I can understand your process, I can try it also.
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

Saltgrass wrote:
Are you using a computer to check the situation? If so, what are you seeing when you try to access the AiMesh nodes.

If I can understand your process, I can try it also.

I am logged into my main router's admin GUI to monitor what device connects to which router (main router or AiMesh Node router, both are GT-AX11000). I have several different devices that connect to the Guest Network via the main router. I can see they're connecting to the Guest Network via the main router by looking at the AiMesh client list in the GUI. None of these devices can connect to the Guest Network via the Ai Mesh Node, even if they're positioned right next to the node.

There are a couple of different ways you can test this.

One way is to select the device in the client list and click on "optimize". Doing so SHOULD find the nearest AiMesh Node to the device or the node with the strongest signal, and connect the device to that node. However, in my case, it always just reconnects the device to the main router, even if the signal the main router is broadcasting is extremely weak or far away.

Another way is to force bind a device to a specific AiMesh node. I tried this as well, but in every case, I get a warning saying that the device is bound to the node but the signal is extremely weak and unstable and the device will likely have horrible performance. Again, this is even though the node is right next to the device. Interestingly, when I do this, the forced device still appears in the main router's client list, and NOT the node's client list, even though in theory it is now connected to the node.

All of this ONLY happens with the Guest Network. The same devices move seamlessly and perfectly from main router to node if they're connected to any non-Guest network. I have not connected a computer to the Guest Network, since most of my computers are hard wired. But I've connected an iPhone 11 Pro, a thermostat, some security cameras, my alarm base station, and a few other devices. All fail to connect to the Guest Network via the node.

ceglia wrote:
I am logged into my main router's admin GUI to monitor what device connects to which router (main router or AiMesh Node router, both are GT-AX11000). I have several different devices that connect to the Guest Network via the main router. I can see they're connecting to the Guest Network via the main router by looking at the AiMesh client list in the GUI. None of these devices can connect to the Guest Network via the Ai Mesh Node, even if they're positioned right next to the node.

There are a couple of different ways you can test this.

One way is to select the device in the client list and click on "optimize". Doing so SHOULD find the nearest AiMesh Node to the device or the node with the strongest signal, and connect the device to that node. However, in my case, it always just reconnects the device to the main router, even if the signal the main router is broadcasting is extremely weak or far away.

Another way is to force bind a device to a specific AiMesh node. I tried this as well, but in every case, I get a warning saying that the device is bound to the node but the signal is extremely weak and unstable and the device will likely have horrible performance. Again, this is even though the node is right next to the device. Interestingly, when I do this, the forced device still appears in the main router's client list, and NOT the node's client list, even though in theory it is now connected to the node.

All of this ONLY happens with the Guest Network. The same devices move seamlessly and perfectly from main router to node if they're connected to any non-Guest network. I have not connected a computer to the Guest Network, since most of my computers are hard wired. But I've connected an iPhone 11 Pro, a thermostat, some security cameras, my alarm base station, and a few other devices. All fail to connect to the Guest Network via the node.

Have you tried turning the 2.4ghz off and use both 5ghz for testing?
I have 3 choices of guest network in each channel have you tried all3?
open or passworded?

Indigian wrote:
Have you tried turning the 2.4ghz off and use both 5ghz for testing?
I have 3 choices of guest network in each channel have you tried all3?
open or passworded?

I did. I tried everything last night, was up till 1am :mad:

I created guest networks on all 3 bands (2.4Ghz, 5Ghz-1, and 5Ghz-2), none of them allow devices to connect via node. I also tried all 3 guest networks in each band, but only the first guest network in each band has the option to extend the network to "All AiMesh Node(s)".

Nothing works basically.

I tried setting up a guest network with all nodes and while I can connect it says no internet access.

Ugh...