cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BIOS v1720 Compulsory Update Mega Thread

xeromist
Hi all,

ASUS is aware of the recent 1720 BIOS that was pushed by Windows Update as well as the complaints of voltage regulation.

ASUS provided this update as optional but if you had a different experience please post here in as much detail as possible:
-Whether you clicked check for updates or Windows updated automatically
-Exact name of the update as it appears on your system
-Date you got the update
-Country or region
-Windows version and product level (ie Windows 11 Home)
-Any update related settings you have chosen such as the Windows Insider Program
-Screenshots if you see Windows listing this update as anything other than optional

Thank you

This thread will be updated as more information is available.

*Multiple threads merged here. Apologies if some of the conversation is disjointed.*
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…
223 REPLIES 223

raybantracing
Level 8
It seems that there are some Z690 users receiving a new firmware from the Windows update.

Is this really possible?
I never seen windows update, updating the bios.

This just happened to me. I've never seen windows update used to update UEFI bios before. Not really liking how it was a "forced update" though.

mr_allroy wrote:
This just happened to me. I've never seen windows update used to update UEFI bios before. Not really liking how it was a "forced update" though.

Agreed, happened to me as well. Seems to be a good BIOS though, solid performance, good memory overclock etc.

raybantracing wrote:
As title.
It seems that there are some Z690 users receiving a new firmware from the Windows update.

Is this really possible?
I never seen windows update, updating the bios.

Windows has been offering Bios updates for quite a while. Currently, I have a Dell system that will not update using the Dell utility but will with Windows 10 version.

If you look at the Device Manager, you will see a system firmware device and it is likely Windows can alter that, but I don't know what it can do exactly. As far as I know Windows has never updated my ASUS board, but I do keep it up to date myself.
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

Bios 1720

Setting the CPU Cache Ratio is not possible, only default settings.
3600mhz - 12900K @ ROG STRIX Z690-A GAMING WIFI D4

Got this today as well. Bit odd that it showed up in windows update. It’s still not available on the ASUS support page.

How can I stop windows from updating my mobo bios? This new version doesn't seem to like the settings I've been dialing in for the last couple bios versions. It's almost as though it doesn't recognize my cpu adaptive voltage setting making my system run at least 10 degrees hotter. I've tested this as I'm back on bios ver. 1601 and my settings acutally work and my temps are back down to normal.

VSSV
Level 7
2022/08/16

ROG MAXIMUS Z690 HERO BIOS 1720
"1. Improve system stability
2. Update Microcode for next generation Intel Processors.

Before running the USB BIOS Flashback tool, please rename the BIOS file (MZ690H.CAP) using BIOSRenamer."

https://rog.asus.com/au/motherboards/rog-maximus/rog-maximus-z690-hero-model/helpdesk_bios/

I'm not liking this bios. I had 1601 setup just the way I like it, then I get forced by windows update to update to ver. 1720 and now my temps are up at least 10 degrees. I set up a negative adaptive voltage of .05 which helps with temps and doesn't seem to affect performance. But bios ver. 1720 seems to ignore this. I also noticed that the CPU Package Power was maxing out between 240-250 watts on ver 1720 whereas ver 1601 doesn't go much above 200 watts with the same settings in both versions.

I'm back on ver 1601 and have confirmed all this.

Has anyone else noticed this behavior and any other issues that have popped up with this version?