Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
    Administrator Array MasterC@ROG's Avatar

Constant flashing of UEFI mystery has been solved apparently (correct me if I'm mistaken) Please revert to the old version if 1720 isn't working out, sorry but complaining about it will not make it any better. More updates are bound to be released, and there are people who did not experience any issues with it.

Needless to say lower temps and fan noise would be ideal (not to mention CPU longevity), and we do our best to provide that in our products. That being said, we also want everyone to have system stability. Numerous users have tried to report Armoury Crate issues while OC is not stable. Please keep in mind that Armoury Crate is sensitive to this, so if you have issues, verify by reverting to stock speeds first before reporting them. Thanks.

These days you will hit the CPU's temp threshold before the VRM's due to higher clocks and core count (was the other way around until recent years), therefore your feedback for disabling undervolt protection has already been passed on to the MB team. I cannot make an instant decision to make such changes, however I suggest to try setting the core voltage to -50mV offset instead. A few of you have reflected that you are able to push your CPU performance via undervolting, it is unusual for this number of people to all win the silicon lottery. If this is really the case, then congrats, and we'll take that into account. Wolfsaccount could even achieve stability with -120mV which is awesome. For those who haven't tried but are only here because you really want to, sorry to say but this is in no way the norm. The MB team also needs to take into account that a very small percentage of people can actually benefit (OC) from undervolting.

Quote Originally Posted by nyxagamemnon View Post
    I mean depending on the CPU you can use far less volts than stock and still be stable. Why wouldn't you want to lower temps and power draw ? My CPU can do the same speed with less volts than stock ?? Why wouldn't I want to take advantage of that? These features have been around along time.... Also to overclock the CPU and use less volts? If I were to just change the the all core boost to 5.3 lets say unless I run a fixed voltage (which would make it pointless for me atleast because why put more volts in when the cpu downclocks etc.) I would get even more volts pumped into the cpu than I need. Also the workloads I do the 12900K gets hammered so hard that the temps are out of control even on a custom loop so I have no choice. I have a 480mm and 360 with an EK Magnitude 1700 Block and a stock 12900KS I can hit 100C during my workloads.
    Last edited by MasterC@ROG; 08-30-2022 at 07:19 AM.

There are no new features except for new CPU support. 'Improved system stability' is a bit vague but simply means updates to certain parameters to increase the margin for memory (RAM). This may allow some sticks which weren't stable to work properly. To be clear, this does not mean the QVL has been updated.
    Quote Originally Posted by akgis_ View Post
    What a mess.

@Asus you need to improve communication with your customers.

* "Improve System stability" on the bios changelog its not enough! If there is security fixes we need to know as some mod as talked about! I been stable on 1505 and havent updated yet was about to do it from this bios but the whole voltage problem have stoped me, if there is security fixes let us KNOW, I need to keep my system secure.

* undervoltings is also part of OCing, on GPUs undervolting is massive gains in power usage and temps for a fractional of fps cost or no cost at all, ppl buy better power deliver mobos not to always chase LN2 or whatever scores, ppl also buy them to have more stability run the system cooler when needed but also turn it to eleven when they desired.

Now that the whole auto bios update has been "fixed" it seems, ppl that got it automatic have workarounds by deleting files or disabling firmware, Asos need to work on the 1720 voltage issues, if the ucode from Intel is doing the Voltage shenanigans we need to know that the issue is being looked up from Intel or atlest that you are passing the feedback to your provider(intel), that you are QAing the problem not turning a deaf ear.

You guys seem keen to get reports about the automatic updates but not asking for feedback about the 1720 voltage issues, but ppl are giving feedback and you guys aren't responding.

Perhaps check your memory timing. Identical sticks don't mean same performance or headroom.

Quote Originally Posted by Zardoc View Post
    I'm still offered updates even if 1702 is installed.

Boot is way slower since this force update. Even if I roll back boot is slower.

I have the exact same board in another room (same set-up) that did not update bios and the speed issue is not present.
    Can't have more proof than that!!

What a mess.

Attachment 94854

Attachment 94855

ROG Member Array Traumatik PC Specs
    Traumatik PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus z690 extreme
    Processor12900ks
    Memory (part number)TeamGroup 6200 cl38 buildzoid tweaks
    Graphics Card #1EVGA 3090ti ftw3 ultra Hybrid
    Sound CardSteelseries Nova pro Wireless
    MonitorGigabyte FI32U 4k 144hz
    Storage #1Corsair MP600 1Tb
    Storage #2SK hynix 2Tb platnium
    CaseCorsair 7000d air
    Power SupplyAsus Thor 1200w
    Keyboard Corsair k70 low profile
    Mouse Roccat Leadr
    Headset Steelseries Nova pro Wireless
    Mouse Pad Rick n Morty desk mat
    Headset/Speakers Steelseries Nova pro Wireless
    OS Win 11pro 64bit
    Network RouterAsus router
    Accessory #1 LianLi SP140x12

OK i finally got 6200 cl38 2x16 in a2 b2 thanks to Buildzoids video , passed bios memtest on my Asus z690 Extreme bios 1601 (pretty sure its a 2021 manufactured). 1720 doesnt allow for cpu undervolting , most think its a bug , since Asus has been quiet on the issue til now. See if your descriptions would be more descriptive your customers would know what to diagnose. The only thing i did different then buildzoid is not use xmp, i set manual in bios but used all his tweaks for memory.

Asus , when your customers have memory on your QVL , they should just work , when our setups match what your boards say they can do. I went thru 2 12900k and 2 12900ks cpus , thinking that its the cpus memory controllers. My 1st z690 extreme nuked itself with the Teamgroup 2x16 6200 cl38 on your QVL didnt boot at all with memory code errors, i even tried GSKILL 2x16 cl36. I then rma that board with place of purchase and bought extreme from microcenter , i have tried it with xmp1 xmp2 and also asus tweaked settings in bios for both sets then also tried the settings posted in the asus maximus oc pdf that that was on overclockers forum, and nothing got me stable ( memtest errors or a lot of game crashing) until i took buildzoids settings for his hynix 4x16 6000 settings for my TG 6200 cl38.

This isnt a rant but hopefully things will get better with your customers input. Your customers are loosing faith after the z690 Heros on fire 7 months time to recall debacle, then the z690 apex 2021s memory problems, and now still waiting on fix for memory that is on QVL to just work when using xmp1 and/or xmp2.
    Thanks for your time. I hope i explained this right.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

Undervolt is not amazing. Its been always this way.

When new architectures arrives, the overvolt margin is high to avoid unexpected behavior.

All the community knows this but asus.

Thats why rocket or alder supports 0.100 undervolt or more without winning any silicon lottery. And also thats why architectures like comet lake, which are based on old and proven architectures, support less undervolt, because stock svid is much more refined.
    Last edited by trihy; 08-30-2022 at 02:24 PM.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by MasterC@ROG View Post
    There are no new features except for new CPU support. 'Improved system stability' is a bit vague but simply means updates to certain parameters to increase the margin for memory (RAM). This may allow some sticks which weren't stable to work properly. To be clear, this does not mean the QVL has been updated.
    Please let us know all this details, that change with new BIOS.
    "Improved system stability" is very lazy

So in sum this bios 1720 shoud had said from what I read in this thread, could be alot more that we dont know

* New ucode from Intel version xxx
    * Preliminary support from Raptor lake cpus
    * Improved Dram stability

Memory kits listed in the QVL should work out-of-the-box. XMP settings on the other hand are overclocked settings, some may not be able to hit them. Many people in the forum can help and point you in the right direction, but overclocked settings are never guaranteed. Undervolting is more likely to cause you more problems than solve them.

We could definitely be more descriptive for updates, do keep in mind that many small changes and tweaks are often not significant enough to mention or are confidential.

Quote Originally Posted by Traumatik View Post
    OK i finally got 6200 cl38 2x16 in a2 b2 thanks to Buildzoids video , passed bios memtest on my Asus z690 Extreme bios 1601 (pretty sure its a 2021 manufactured). 1720 doesnt allow for cpu undervolting , most think its a bug , since Asus has been quiet on the issue til now. See if your descriptions would be more descriptive your customers would know what to diagnose. The only thing i did different then buildzoid is not use xmp, i set manual in bios but used all his tweaks for memory.

Asus , when your customers have memory on your QVL , they should just work , when our setups match what your boards say they can do. I went thru 2 12900k and 2 12900ks cpus , thinking that its the cpus memory controllers. My 1st z690 extreme nuked itself with the Teamgroup 2x16 6200 cl38 on your QVL didnt boot at all with memory code errors, i even tried GSKILL 2x16 cl36. I then rma that board with place of purchase and bought extreme from microcenter , i have tried it with xmp1 xmp2 and also asus tweaked settings in bios for both sets then also tried the settings posted in the asus maximus oc pdf that that was on overclockers forum, and nothing got me stable ( memtest errors or a lot of game crashing) until i took buildzoids settings for his hynix 4x16 6000 settings for my TG 6200 cl38.

This isnt a rant but hopefully things will get better with your customers input. Your customers are loosing faith after the z690 Heros on fire 7 months time to recall debacle, then the z690 apex 2021s memory problems, and now still waiting on fix for memory that is on QVL to just work when using xmp1 and/or xmp2.
    Thanks for your time. I hope i explained this right.
    Last edited by MasterC@ROG; 08-31-2022 at 03:38 AM.

To clarify, undervolting for the purpose of gaining performance is very difficult - I didn't mean for the sole purpose of lowering temps and fan noise.

Of course, people like what they like, if they want to build a killer system that is focused on silent and cool but not performance, others shouldn't judge. However, buying a 'premium gaming' board with no intention of pushing gaming performance is usually a questionable decision.

Quote Originally Posted by trihy View Post
    Undervolt is not amazing. Its been always this way.

When new architectures arrives, the overvolt margin is high to avoid unexpected behavior.

All the community knows this but asus.

Thats why rocket or alder supports 0.100 undervolt or more without winning any silicon lottery. And also thats why architectures like comet lake, which are based on old and proven architectures, support less undervolt, because stock svid is much more refined.
    Last edited by MasterC@ROG; 08-31-2022 at 03:27 AM.

ROG Junior Member Array Pelleg59 PC Specs
    Pelleg59 PC Specs
    MotherboardROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO
    Processori9-13900K
    Memory (part number)DDR5 5600MHz 2x16GB(CMK32GX5M2B5600C36)
    Graphics Card #1MSI GeForce RTX 3080 SUPRIM X 10G LHR
    Sound CardSound Blaster Z
    MonitorLG 27GL83A-B
    Storage #1Samsung 980 PRO 1TB M.2 NVMe
    Storage #2Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB
    CPU CoolerEK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Evolv X Satin
    Power SupplyCorsair RM1000x V3
    Keyboard Steelseries Apex 7
    Mouse Steelseries Rival 310
    Headset Steelseries ? (older)
    Mouse Pad Rog
    Headset/Speakers Logitech
    OS Windows 11
    Network RouterAsus RT-AC2900 /x2

Same problem

[QUOTE=mr_allroy;870655]I'm not liking this bios. I had 1601 setup just the way I like it, then I get forced by windows update to update to ver. 1720 and now my temps are up at least 10 degrees. I set up a negative adaptive voltage of .05 which helps with temps and doesn't seem to affect performance. But bios ver. 1720 seems to ignore this. I also noticed that the CPU Package Power was maxing out between 240-250 watts on ver 1720 whereas ver 1601 doesn't go much above 200 watts with the same settings in both versions.

I'm back on ver 1601 and have confirmed all this.

Has anyone else noticed this behavior and any other issues that have popped up with this version?[/QUOT

Have the same problem with 1720 ignore negative adaptive voltage. I also backed down to 1601 much better temp and volts now

ROG Member Array

1720 is trash apparently because of Intel's micro-code. (seems to overvolt Alder Lake CPUs)

Asus should take it down from their site and Windows Update.

Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast