cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Expert advice for PC with Asus Rog Extreme VI, Intel 7900X, DDR4-3600 and 1080Ti?

jauloise
Level 8
Hi everyone,

Thanks for reading my post. I'm looking for a ASUS ROG expert that would be so kind to help me tune/config my PC the right way. My main question is how to configure my system so that I have optimal speed and stability for media/gaming/editing. I'm not looking to get the absolute maximum through overclocking. I'm looking for the best speed possible while maintaining stability (meaning no crashes), but I'm mainly having some doubt if my PC is configured the way it should be.

So my system is running reasonable, but I'm not sure if it's running as fast as it can (without overclocking). My knowledge is fairly limited and I've never own a system as advanced as this one before.

I'm not much of a gamer, but recently I've done a lot of level design for a gzdoom game and I'm wondering if my system is tuned correctly. I think it lacks CPU power even though I have 10 cores. Many games rely on single thread I believe and I suspect this may be the problem. It's probably the case for gzdoom. My system just indicates base core speed 3,3 Ghz for all cores, while I'm supposed to be boosting up to 4,3 Ghz for one or two cores iirc?

So, what happened to Intel Turbo Boost Max (or whatever), I can't install it anymore. Can you bring me up to date on this? What am I supposed to do now? Basically, how do I set my OS/bios to have optimum CPU/memory speed? How can I test to see if some CPU core does get to 4,3Ghz?

Some years ago there was the CPU security flaw (Spectre and something else?) and you had to install some update or something which basically made your pc secure again, but unfortunately slower, but that's on the OS level. I didn't do anything specific for this with my most recent Windows 10 install. I don't know at all if it's still an issue and if it's this that causes lack of performance.

I would be very grateful for any direction on how to get my system tuned for media/gaming (as best as possible).

I've never messed around in the BIOS other than what was indicated to me in instructions. I'm out of touch to say the least and I would need exact instructions.

I took screenshots of CPU-Z, Windows 10 System/device mgr, dxdiag and made some pictures of the BIOS settings. It's about 30 images, I don't know what the most convenient way is to add 'm here. I don't want a long thread with 30 pictures showing.

This is my PC configuration:

Motherboard: Asus Rog Extreme VI
BIOS version: 3201
CPU: Intel 7900X Skylake X (base frequency 3,3Ghz, max turbo 4,3Ghz)
Memory: 2x TridentZ 16GB DDR4-3600Mhz
SSD: 1GB Samsung 960 Pro
+ LL RGB fans / Asus Aura
Power: Corsair Ax 1200i 80+ Platinum
Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D
10 REPLIES 10

restsugavan
Level 13
1. Update RAMPAGE VI EXTREME to 3701 BIOS

2. Enter BIOS then hit F5 Load Optimized Setting Default

3. Enter Extreme Tweaker Section then Select Overclock method to X.M.P.

4. Enable Sync all Core

5. Enter PCH Setting on Pheripheral Section.

6. Use last menu Enable PTT for TPM 2.0 Check

7. Go to Boot menu and Disable CSM Modules. Enable Fastboot.

8. F10 Save Setting to exit.

Enjoy your rigs
W11CANARY 26080.1 Core i9 7980XE 02007006 MCE ME 11.12.95.2499 R6E OFFICIAL BIOS 3801 SAMSUNG OG9 FW 1019.0 SSD 970 EVO PLUS 1 TB x 3 NVIDIA RTX 4090 GAME READY 551.76 64GB GSKILL DDR4 3200MHz JBL 9.1 Sound Bar DTS-X

restsugavan wrote:
1. Update RAMPAGE VI EXTREME to 3701 BIOS

2. Enter BIOS then hit F5 Load Optimized Setting Default

3. Enter Extreme Tweaker Section then Select Overclock method to X.M.P.

4. Enable Sync all Core

5. Enter PCH Setting on Pheripheral Section.

6. Use last menu Enable PTT for TPM 2.0 Check

7. Go to Boot menu and Disable CSM Modules. Enable Fastboot.

8. F10 Save Setting to exit.

Enjoy your rigs

Hello sir,

Thank you so much for your prompt reply.

Please bare with me as I try to complete your instructions on my rig.

I've updated the BIOS to 3701 w/o any issues.
I went into the BIOS (because the boot up told me to) and just saved and exited.
I booted into Windows and it had to do some reconfiguration apparently, but finally loaded ok.
Tested a few reboots and a shut down. All good.

So, then I had a look at your instructions (nothing executed so far).

2. Ok, no problem

3. Ok, I found "XMP" under the setting "Ai Overclock Tuner", I suppose it's this setting?

4. Ok, I found "Synch all cores" under "CPU core ratio".

5. I cannot find "Pheripheral Section" or "PCH Setting". I also don't know what you mean by "enter PCH setting".

6. Yeah, no idea how to do "last menu enable" or where you can find "PTT for TPM 2.0 check".

7. Should be ok.

8. Ok.

Thanks in advance for further information.

(I'm doing some searches on the net for info.)

So after some more searching, I found the following options (see screenshots).

Instruction 5. and 6. remain unclear to me however.

cekeu
Level 12
Hello
it's good PTT for TPM 2.0 Check is enabled
and xmp activation is ok

cekeu wrote:
Hello
it's good PTT for TPM 2.0 Check is enabled
and xmp activation is ok

Ok, thanks for confirming, it seems like this was active already in the BIOS.

I just don't understand then what is required for step "5. Enter PCH Setting on Pheripheral Section" or what is meant by it.

Can I ignore it too?

Otherwise I'm ready to try this procedure.

update:
Procedure executed. I had to rearrange my boot order. Other than that, everything ok. Booted in Linux and Windows. All good.

All my ROG drivers and graphics card driver are up to date also, so I'll do some testing coming days and weeks.

Thanks so much for your help.

If there is any other expert advice that you can give me, it's always welcome.

MoKiChU
Level 40
Hi,

Follow this process :

Start/Restart your PC then press Del when the ROG logo appears to enter in your BIOS

Press F5 (Default) then Press F7 to switch in Advanced Mode

XMP

Extreme Tweaker tab > Ai Overclock Tuner : XMP

ASUS Multi Core Enhancement

Extreme Tweaker tab > ASUS Multi Core Enhancement :

Disabled : CPU operation as expected by Intel (no CPU overclock)

Auto : CPU operation optimized by ASUS (CPU overclock)

UEFI

Boot tab > CSM > Launch CSM : Disabled

Secure Boot

Boot tab > Secure Boot > OS Type : Windows UEFI Mode

TPM 2.0

Advanced tab > PCH-FW Configuration > TPM Device Selection : Firmware TPM or PTT : Enable > OK

Press F10 to Save & Exit

Also, you need these firmware/drivers for your ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme motherboard :

[FIRMWARE] Intel ME (X299)

[DRIVERS] Intel Chipset/MEI/SATA/VMD (1xx/2xx/3xx/4xx/5xx/6xx/7xx)

- Intel Chipset Drivers (+ X299 add-on driver)

- Intel MEI Drivers (Drivers Only)

- Intel SATA AHCI-RAID Drivers (Drivers Only) :

Drivers - 2xx/3xx

[DRIVERS] Intel Ethernet/WiFi/Bluetooth

- Intel Ethernet Drivers (Drivers Only) :

Drivers - I217/I218/I219

[DRIVERS] Marvell/Aquantia Ethernet

[DRIVERS] Qualcomm WiFi/Bluetooth

- Qualcomm WiFi Drivers (Drivers Only) :

Drivers - QCA61xx/QCA9xxx

Drivers - QCA63xx/QCA64xx

- Qualcomm Bluetooth Drivers (Drivers Only) :

Drivers - QCAxxxx

[DRIVERS] Realtek Audio (Intel 2xx/3xx/4xx/5xx/6xx/7xx & AMD 3xx/4xx/5xx/6xx)

You have an ASUS ROG SS3 motherboard, so :

You need Realtek Audio Drivers (UAD - ASUS ROG SS3) from the first post of the thread.

Follow scrupulously your CLEANUP process then your INSTALL process, for the next drivers packages that I would release, you will can directly follow your UPDATE process.

MoKiChU wrote:
Hi,
Follow this process : ...

Ok, I'm double checking the BIOS with your instructions.

I updated my drivers a few days ago from the ROG web site, but I will double check the links you've provided.

Thanks.

update: I checked your instructions in the BIOS and the only thing that is still different is that I have "Boot\Secure Boot - Os Type" set to "Other OS". I'm just wondering if changing this can affect my Linux boot or if Linux will still boot. I'll try that later on. Everything else is set to the recommendations I've received in this thread.

cekeu
Level 12
Hi
It's nice of Mokichu to provide very recent drivers
However if your system works fine with the latest drivers on your motherboard's official support page you can stick with them.

Hi,

I just wanted to inform you that my system has been running "stable" for more than 24 hours.

So, the configuration was updated without any issues. Thanks again to you all.

What is the best way to test that my CPU / memory / gfx card is working optimally in terms of speed?

I've ran some benchmark tools, but it's not very clear to me.