cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Mobo, sound digital (optical): set the 5.1 speakers?

Crasje
Level 12
Hi,

I have a Z690 Rog Mobo, Sonic Suite companion installed and I am trying to configure my 5.1 speakers which are S/PDIF.

In windows sound, I go to properties of realtek digital output and I only have 2 channel options.

How do I set my system to 5.1?

Thanks!

Cooler Master Silent Pro Hybrid 1300W ATX
Asus ROG Maximus Z690 Extreme
Intel Core i9-12.900k
ROG Ryujin 360
Corsair DDR5 Dominator Platinum RGB 2x32GB 5600Mhz
Samsung 980 PRO 2TB M.2 SSD (2x)
Seagate Firecuda 1TB
ROG RTX3080-O10G-Gaming
Monitor 1: ROG STRIX XG349C
Monitor 2: Samsung HDTV T27D590
ROG Claymore
ROG Spatha X
ROG Balteus Qi
Windows 11
😉
8 REPLIES 8

xeromist
Most onboard optical outputs don't have Dolby or DTS. They are licensed technologies that cost the manufacturers (and then consumers) extra to include. I ended up buying a separate SoundBlaster card so I could get 5.1 optical.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
Most onboard optical outputs don't have Dolby or DTS. They are licensed technologies that cost the manufacturers (and then consumers) extra to include. I ended up buying a separate SoundBlaster card so I could get 5.1 optical.

Thanks!

I was hoping on a more positive message 🙂

Intel Core i9-12.900k
ROG Ryujin 360
Seagate Firecuda 1TB
ROG RTX3080-O10G-Gaming
ROG Claymore
ROG Spatha X
ROG Balteus Qi
Windows 11
😉

xeromist
Alternatives are the discrete analog outputs or running a separate HDMI to your receiver (if it supports it).

It's not super expensive to add in a card. The Soundblaster Z supports DTS and I see some on Ebay for $60 USD.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
Alternatives are the discrete analog outputs or running a separate HDMI to your receiver (if it supports it).

It's not super expensive to add in a card. The Soundblaster Z supports DTS and I see some on Ebay for $60 USD.

I have the Maximus Z690 extreme, you would hope,....

My Logitech surround system has THX and DTS.

Intel Core i9-12.900k
ROG Ryujin 360
Seagate Firecuda 1TB
ROG RTX3080-O10G-Gaming
ROG Claymore
ROG Spatha X
ROG Balteus Qi
Windows 11
😉

xeromist
While I like a single cable solution (and spent extra to get it), most Logitech systems support discrete analog in... and it sounds good. I've used both analog and digital interchangeably and there isn't that much difference. In fact, optical uses lossy compression. So it really comes down to whether you have a lot of DD/DTS native content that you don't trust the onboard audio to decode for you. If it's any other generic "surround" implementation then you would have the sound device to encode it to DTS and then the speakers would be decoding it again.

All that is to say I don't think you're missing that much using analog. In some situations it will be better.

MasterC
Community Admin
Community Admin
xeromist is correct, if you prefer true 5.1 surround then you'll need to use the analog 3.5 mm connectors. Do note that even if S/PDIF supported 5.1, the digital signal bypasses all DSP settings - any personalized settings must be available on the speakers. The key benefit from using analog is that you get all the software features and complete control over the DSP, Bass Boost, Sound Optimization, etc.

MasterC@ROG wrote:
xeromist is correct, if you prefer true 5.1 surround then you'll need to use the analog 3.5 mm connectors. Do note that even if S/PDIF supported 5.1, the digital signal bypasses all DSP settings - any personalized settings must be available on the speakers. The key benefit from using analog is that you get all the software features and complete control over the DSP, Bass Boost, Sound Optimization, etc.

I have my speaker now looped via my Steelseries wireless pro system so that when I use my headset, my speakers are automatically off. Are you suggesting that I have to use analog from the mobo to the steelseries Arctis pro (https://steelseries.com/gaming-headsets/arctis-pro-wireless?color=black) and to the 5.1 system?

Intel Core i9-12.900k
ROG Ryujin 360
Seagate Firecuda 1TB
ROG RTX3080-O10G-Gaming
ROG Claymore
ROG Spatha X
ROG Balteus Qi
Windows 11
😉

Hi Crasje,

i have the Z690-I Wifi Gaming Mobo from Asus and i can use 5.1 optical out with the v2307 realtek audio driver. It works very well. I have a Logitech Z-5500 connected via SPDIF optical cable. Like MasterC@ROG already said, all sound optimizations need to be configured at the Sound-System.

Be warned, every driver version after 2307 (i tried v2311, v2329, v2330 and v2342) are not giving me the windows sound settings option to choose "DTS Interactive 5.1 Surround". With the newer drivers, there are only stereo outputs available.

Tested and working with Windows 11 21H2 and Windows 11 22H2.

Kind regards
spammeon