cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New build - no signal to iGPU or 3080 Ti

saadiq7
Level 7
Hi all, hope someone can help with my issue...

I built my pc a few days ago and since I've tried to boot, it doesn't post and there's no signal to my monitor via the iGPU or the 3080 Ti.

Specs
MB: Asus Z690 Maximus hero
RAM: 128gb (4x32gb) g.skill Trident 5600mhz ddr5
2x Samsung nmve 1tb 980 pro
Cpu: i9-12900
Gpu: Gigabyte 3080 Ti Eagle oc
Cooler: Gigabyte waterforce 360
Case: CM TD500 mesh
Psu: Corsair HX1000

Firstly, I have all the power connectors plugged in, the 3080 Ti 2x8pins connected, the 2x8pin cpu connectors plugged in, the 24pin MB connector and the additional pcie 6pin next door connected...

From the first time I tried to turn the pc on, there's no signal to the iGPU or the 3080 Ti. I used another monitor with a hdmi connection and still no luck. I checked that everything is connected and reseated correctly and still nothing. Note, the ARGB fans, the rog logo and gpu rgb are on, after a few minutes, the aio lights & fans go on (I think it's delayed as its connected to the USB header on MB.)

While I waited the 4th time with other monitor plugged in, I plug the mouse and keyboard USB connector out of the pc & I get a signal on other monitor, from the 3080 Ti, pc booted up into bios. I then plugged the hdmi into my original monitor and the signal is still there. I take the opportunity to update the bios, when it's successful and reboots, again no signal to iGPU or 3080 Ti.

Now remember the mouse & keyboard connector, all the other things I try, I have the USB connector plugged out...

I read somewhere that it might be the ram. So even tho when I was in the bios and saw all the ram showing up (didn't read at the correct speed as I didn't change the xmp profile yet). I re moved 2 sticks of ram in the secondary slots and tried to boot again, still no signal.

I then thought maybe it could be that the power supply isn't sending enough power to the gpu, so I add another pcie cable and plug 2 seperate cables to the 2x8pin connectors. Boot and no signal on both gpu's.

I then thought maybe it could be the pcie slot. I have the 3080 plugged into the top most slot pcie 5.0 but they are backwards compatible. I moved it to the second pcie 5.0 slot and boot and still no signal to monitor. One thing to note is with the gpu in the middle slot, the gpu fans went on briefly when trying to boot, but still no signal. The bottom slot is a pcie 4.0 but there isn't enough space to connect as the gpu card is too thick, so even if I put the gpu to the right bottom of the case to the psu enclosure, the connectors can't fit.

One more time, I reset the cmos and see what happens... Still no post and no signal to the monitor via iGPU or 3080 Ti.

I tried using a shorter hdmi cable, the one I have is a 3m which is pretty short, I changed it out for a 1m cable... Still no post and no signal to the monitor via iGPU or 3080 Ti.

I plug the new psu into the older system and it doesn't power on. Just fans power up and leds, no boot. I did plug into the basic components to boot. So now I think it might just be the psu.

Then I plugged another working power supply into the new system &... Still no post and no signal to the monitor via iGPU or 3080 Ti. So I rule out the psu issue.

I inserted another working graphics card into the pc &...Still no post and no signal to the monitor via iGPU or 3080 Ti.

The last 2 items that it could possibly be is the motherboard or the cpu.

I'm all out of options. I think my motherboard is bad, but not sure how to test. I thought maybe it could be the gpu, but why is the iGPU also not giving a signal, that's weird.

These motherboard's were plagued with a bad connector on the motherboard, causing failure and fires etc, but I've checked my Mb serial numbers and it doesn't fall in those units, I also made sure the polarity position of the culprit connector and its in the correct orientation. But it could still be the motherboard that's bad.

Im not sure what to make of the q-codes, as everytime I try to boot and it cycles thru different codes, it ends up on a different code. I've tried to check the codes, but I can't make sense of it all. Must I wait for the q-code thingy to cycle thru different numbers till it finally stops somewhere?

I hope someone is able to help me? I'm out of options at this point.
RAM: 2x32gb g.skill Trident Z 5600mhz ddr5
NVME: 2x Samsung nmve 1tb 980 pro
HYPERCARD: 2x Crucial P3 4TB nvme
CPU: i9-13900k
GPU: Gigabyte 3080 Ti Eagle OC
COOLER: Gigabyte waterforce 360
CASE: CM TD500 mesh
PSU: Corsair HX1000
14 REPLIES 14

Shark007
Level 10
Have you tried without the GPU installed?
I once experienced no boot and clearing the CMOS fixed it.

xeromist
Make sure to remove the CPU, inspect the pins, and reseat the CPU. A bad or overtightened cooler mount can cause odd intermittent issues.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

An update...

The company I bought the components from, has a pc building dept., so I got them to have a look at it.

Turns out, the pc was working with both the iGPU & 3080Ti. So when I got back I tested it on the monitor (10yrs old with dvi to hdmi cable) I have & it didn't work again. I then suspected the monitor, so I tried my bros monitor (3yrs old with hdmi to hdmi) & it worked perfectly. So it's this older monitor that was the issue. Thank God it works.

So I thought I was going to use the older monitor for a few months, then buy a proper 1ms 400cd/m2 4k montior that can make use of the 3080Ti......but I'm going to have to bite the bullet now.

Hopefully this thread helps someone else sometime. Thank you for all the replies!

Another update...

I ordered a new 24inch monitor with dp & hdmi cables.

When it arrived, the pc has the same no display issues. But this time it boots up into windows sometimes, & once its in Windows I can restart the pc 5-8times without issue but the moment I shutdown it does display signal. Then I have to click the power button to shutdown and then after a few tries it displays and loads into windows. This is to the 3080ti dp cable.

I decided to try the hdmi of the Intel graphics, and this time it shuts down and loads into windows about 8times without any issue, then when I take the hdmi cable and insert into 3080ti port there's no signal.

I've been thru this for weeks & been convinced it's the motherboard, but now I'm thinking it's the 3080ti?what do you guys think?

saadiq7 wrote:
Another update...

I ordered a new 24inch monitor with dp & hdmi cables.

When it arrived, the pc has the same no display issues. But this time it boots up into windows sometimes, & once its in Windows I can restart the pc 5-8times without issue but the moment I shutdown it does display signal. Then I have to click the power button to shutdown and then after a few tries it displays and loads into windows. This is to the 3080ti dp cable.

I decided to try the hdmi of the Intel graphics, and this time it shuts down and loads into windows about 8times without any issue, then when I take the hdmi cable and insert into 3080ti port there's no signal.

I've been thru this for weeks & been convinced it's the motherboard, but now I'm thinking it's the 3080ti?what do you guys think?

Did you turn on the monitor before you turn on your PC?

Yes. I turn it on a few secs before I turn the pc on.

Why?

saadiq7 wrote:

You mentioned earlier that you had the same problem with a different known-working GPU. That would seem to eliminate the GPU, unless you later found the other GPU wasn't actually working.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
You mentioned earlier that you had the same problem with a different known-working GPU. That would seem to eliminate the GPU, unless you later found the other GPU wasn't actually working.

You're right, when the 3080ti doesn't work, then the iGPU also doesn't work. It can't be the gpu, I was just wanting it to be something other than the motherboard.

It takes a while to give me the rog splash screen with the f2 or del to enter bios, then load into windows. Sometimes I need to turn the monitor off & on a few times for it to load or to be already loaded into windows.

At one point yesterday evening I got the pc to restart a few times from the hdmi cable to iGPU & then got it to boot a few times from shutdown, so while i was in Windows I updated the 3080ti drivers. I then booted with the dp cable to 3080ti and got it to restart about 5 times & got it to shutdown & start boot into Windows for about 5 times.

Then I did something stupid as I knew it hadn't worked previously. I tried to xmp my ram to 5600mhz as it was stock at 4000mhz. Then it didn't boot again. So now I'm back to square one, clear cmos, reinstall the latest bios get the thing to at least start & restart a few times, I think I'm going to go with a clean install of windows again & see if I can get it back to working on the dp cable to 3080ti.

Weird thing about the ram is that it is on the qvl of the motherboard, and the motherboard is on the qvl of the ram. But it doesn't want to boot up when the ram is set to 5600mhz. If I get this to work again, I'll have to settle with 4000mhz on the ram.

This morning again it started up and at first it loaded into bios via iGPU but not the hdmi on the 3080ti or the dp.

Then after a few restarts it started working on the dp of the 3080ti. Then the moment I think it's coming right, it has no signal to iGPU & 3080ti.

Can it be an unstable bios? On the manufacturers website, there's an option to download the very first bios, do you think I should try that? Can one go back to the first bios?