rajeshbpai
Level 7
Laptop Specifications

Model : ASUS TUF Gaming A15 FA506IU_FA566IU
Processor : AMD Ryzen 7 4800H with Radeon Graphics (16 CPU’s) ~ 2.9GHz
Memory : 16GB RAM
Graphics : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti
Bios : FA506IU.320

Few days back when I opened my laptop first thing in the morning, my screen started flickering. It lasted for around 5 minutes and then stopped automatically. I thought that it is a onetime issue, but next day morning same thing happened and then after around 5 minutes it stoped. Then I noticed that if I don’t touch the laptop for around 30 minutes the same thing happens and then after 5 minutes it stops. (Now a days, during flickering, screen freezes as well. So at that time my mouse will not work and then I have to wait for around 15 seconds and then it stops freezing but the flickering continues. This keeps on repeating for 5 minutes). I changed the refresh rate from 144 Hz to 60 Hz, but there is no use. I felt it is a hardware issue but was not sure if it is screen or motherboard issue. So I connected my laptop to TV using HDMI cable. The TV monitor does not flicker and I was able to work on laptop without any issues. So I was convinced that it was a screen issue. But then I opened my task manager when the flickering was happening and then maximised the screen, there was NO flickering. Then I minimise it, the flickering starts again.. Now I am really confused. A quick check for screen flickering issues in Google shows that if Task manager is not flickering then it is NOT a hardware issue. (I have not yet taken my laptop to ASUS service centre because the problem solves after 5 minutes or so.).

Things that I tried: I have updated the BIOS to latest one available. I have updated AMD Radeon Driver and also updated Armoury Crate just in case. I am always connected to internet and so all my software are always up to date.

Please advise me what might be wrong with my laptop and how to solve it.
4 REPLIES 4

xeromist
If you have already updated the software then this sounds like you need to take it to the service center. Does it always do the flickering when you first power it on? Then it should do it for the staff at the service center. That would be my recommendation.

The alternative would be to restore the factory image but you would lose all of your settings and it might not fix the problem. This really does sound like some sort of hardware issue.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
If you have already updated the software then this sounds like you need to take it to the service center. Does it always do the flickering when you first power it on? Then it should do it for the staff at the service center. That would be my recommendation.

The alternative would be to restore the factory image but you would lose all of your settings and it might not fix the problem. This really does sound like some sort of hardware issue.

OK.. Thanks for the reply..

Yes. It always flickers when I switch on the laptop for the first time. It is getting worse now a days.. It takes more and more time to stop the flickering. The only reason I posted the issue in this forum was because I was surprised that it does NOT flicker when I open the task manager. So I thought may be someone has faced the same issue and has some answer for it..

Also I did not go directly to service centre because it is relatively new laptop. It is only 2 years and 2 months old and I had taken extended warranty for 2 years.. But unfortunately it expired just 2 months ago and now I have to probably buy a new costly replacement screen for the laptop. I had purchased this super costly laptop assuming that it will last for long time but it just lasted for only 2 years. Now I have to spend lot of money for screen and labour charges..

kk373455
Level 7

turn off v-ram from "windows features" option find on google, to stop screen flicker and turn off hardware acceleration in chrome

By doing this can we fix the issue, becouse I'm facing this right now and i just brought this laptop it's been only 4 mo.nths