cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random shutdowns followed by boot loop

G0ldChicken
Level 7
What basically happens is that after multiple hours my pc will shut off without warning (kernel power 41 (63)). Happens both when I'm idling and when the PC is under load. I believe it even happened once when the PC was in sleep mode. Anyway, when I try to restart it immediately, almost always the pc goes into a boot loop and will shut down after a few seconds. I have to wait 15 minutes or so before I can get Windows running stable again (makes me think it's a hardware issue). During the boot looping q-LEDs of my motherboard will show a long orange light for about 4 seconds followed by a quick red 1-second blink. The error codes on the motherboard will be all over the place.

So far I've checked:
- All temps are fine
- Also happens without any GPU installed, so that's not the culprit
- Installed a new PSU
- Playing around with voltage settings for RAM in BIOS
- Disabled USB audio in BIOS
- Turn off fast boot mode and power saving

I'll be so grateful if someone can point me to the issue.

My specs:
**CPU** | Intel Core i9-11900K 3.5 GHz 8-Core Processor
**Motherboard** | Asus ROG MAXIMUS XIII HERO ATX LGA1200 Motherboard
**Memory** | G.Skill Ripjaws V 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
**Storage** | Corsair MP600 CORE 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
**Video Card** | MSI GeForce RTX 3090 Ti 24 GB GAMING X TRIO
**Power Supply** | Corsair HX1200 Platinum 1200 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
**Operating System** | Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
6 REPLIES 6

ahfoo
Level 13
G0ldChicken wrote:
What basically happens is that after multiple hours my pc will shut off without warning (kernel power 41 (63)). Happens both when I'm idling and when the PC is under load. I believe it even happened once when the PC was in sleep mode. Anyway, when I try to restart it immediately, almost always the pc goes into a boot loop and will shut down after a few seconds. I have to wait 15 minutes or so before I can get Windows running stable again (makes me think it's a hardware issue). During the boot looping q-LEDs of my motherboard will show a long orange light for about 4 seconds followed by a quick red 1-second blink. The error codes on the motherboard will be all over the place.

So far I've checked:
- All temps are fine
- Also happens without any GPU installed, so that's not the culprit
- Installed a new PSU
- Playing around with voltage settings for RAM in BIOS
- Disabled USB audio in BIOS
- Turn off fast boot mode and power saving

I'll be so grateful if someone can point me to the issue.

My specs:
**CPU** | Intel Core i9-11900K 3.5 GHz 8-Core Processor
**Motherboard** | Asus ROG MAXIMUS XIII HERO ATX LGA1200 Motherboard
**Memory** | G.Skill Ripjaws V 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
**Storage** | Corsair MP600 CORE 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
**Video Card** | MSI GeForce RTX 3090 Ti 24 GB GAMING X TRIO
**Power Supply** | Corsair HX1200 Platinum 1200 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
**Operating System** | Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

This could be a driver issue such as audio or GPU driver. Start updating your audio driver to see if the problem solved.

Saltgrass
Level 13
If you are seeing Kernel power errors, you may be getting Blue Screens and a dump file is being created. Do you know how to find one of those and make it available via link?

You are running Windows 10 Pro because it like it better than Windows 11?

I am not an over clocker, so I pretty much leave timing settings at default except for the XMP.

If you really have to wait 15 minutes, that would imply it was a heat issue. Do you have Thunderbolt disabled in the Bios, it seems to increase the temp on the chipset.

The Corsair drive you mention seems to have its own heatsink, and a big one. If it does, how are you installing it in regard to cooling?

You say it happens without the GPU installed, but the 3090 cards do generate a lot of heat. if you have not accounted for hot exhaust air being picked up by the intake fans, heat can build up. Beyond that, the 3090 Ti has shown peculiar problems when using the Display port connection with certain devices.
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

ahfoo wrote:
This could be a driver issue such as audio or GPU driver. Start updating your audio driver to see if the problem solved.

I have updated both drivers recently.

Saltgrass wrote:
If you are seeing Kernel power errors, you may be getting Blue Screens and a dump file is being created. Do you know how to find one of those and make it available via link?

You are running Windows 10 Pro because it like it better than Windows 11?

I am not an over clocker, so I pretty much leave timing settings at default except for the XMP.

If you really have to wait 15 minutes, that would imply it was a heat issue. Do you have Thunderbolt disabled in the Bios, it seems to increase the temp on the chipset.

The Corsair drive you mention seems to have its own heatsink, and a big one. If it does, how are you installing it in regard to cooling?

You say it happens without the GPU installed, but the 3090 cards do generate a lot of heat. if you have not accounted for hot exhaust air being picked up by the intake fans, heat can build up. Beyond that, the 3090 Ti has shown peculiar problems when using the Display port connection with certain devices.

To answer your questions:
- Unfortunately, I don't seem to be getting any .dmp files after shutdowns.
- Even without OC BIOS settings & XMP enabled the issue continues
- Temps on the chipset were rising pretty fast, even when I was just idling after boot. I recently changed a few settings in BIOS including Thunderbold and idle temps dropped from 70 degrees to 40-50 degrees. Before disabling Thunderbold I did notice however that when the chipset temperature reached around 72 degrees a shutdown would occur. Could there be another part of the MOBO that's overheating?
- The m.2. temperature stays low most of the time (around 30 degrees)
- I'm pretty sure the 3090 Ti is not the issue since the problem started when I was still running my old RTX 2070 super.

Hope this makes sense. Thanks!

Reboot issue has mostly likely been fixed!

Someone pointed me to this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnMnNEl9lOI&t=71s
So I tried it and completely removed all front USB and power button connections to the motherboard, and specifically the 'RESET SW' cable. No shutdowns so far.
I guess it's gone faulty and was causing some sort of short circuit.

Saltgrass
Level 13
I hope it keeps working for you but the front connections, if done correctly to a compatible connector, should not be causing a problem.

I like to check the graph produced by the perfmon /rel command. You can pick up a problem that happens multiple times easily using the graph.

Edit: And just a note, the 3090 Ti cards have been having problems with the Display Port outputs. In this forum even, some folks have to enable the CSM, which is not good for Win 11, to get the display back. I know you stated you had removed it at some point but maybe something to keep an eye on.
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

Saltgrass wrote:
I hope it keeps working for you but the front connections, if done correctly to a compatible connector, should not be causing a problem.

I like to check the graph produced by the perfmon /rel command. You can pick up a problem that happens multiple times easily using the graph.

Edit: And just a note, the 3090 Ti cards have been having problems with the Display Port outputs. In this forum even, some folks have to enable the CSM, which is not good for Win 11, to get the display back. I know you stated you had removed it at some point but maybe something to keep an eye on.

Still working... And thanks for the tip!