Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

F5-6000U3636E16GX2-TZ5RK stability issues

kvarcg
Level 7
Hello all,

I need some advice on my following issue:

I purchased F5-6000U3636E16GX2-TZ5RK when it came out, for my new build (12900K, Prime z690-A latest BIOS). I had been getting from time to time some BSODs, but I assumed it was simple stability issues as the entire technology was new. Unfortunately, these BSODs have increased recently and happen almost always when my CPU is working at 100%. This usually happens when I compile code, which is part of my everyday job. Once I got 3 BSODs in one day. Example BSOD error codes I get are: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA and MEMORY_MANAGEMENT. I have also run MemTest and it has failed. After trying more testing configurations (using one module only, switching DIMM slots A2/B2) with MemTest, it seems that:
- One of the two memory modules is the problematic one.
- Both XMP profiles have this issue, disabling XMP has no problems.

There is no OC on my build, stock settings are enforced and only the XMP profile is enabled.

I have contacted G.Skill and they advised to issue an RMA, but if I have understood correctly, their RMA process requires me to send both modules, after which I may receive a replacement. However, this would mean I would be without my work PC (I work remotely) for quite some time.

Is there anything else I can do? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
6 REPLIES 6

Bigglet
Level 8
Which motherboard are you using? Z690 since DDR5?
Check which BIOS version you're running - if it's the stock one that used to give stability issues. If that is the case, you will need to update your BIOS (check your mobo vendor website for BIOS files) in which case it may run more stable.

One way I could identify it was by running CPU-Z and checking the bus speed of your CPU:

If you haven't changed it, it should run at 100.00 MHz - If there is a large discrepancy (mine ran at 97.xxx MHz before BIOS update) then you are on an old version and should upgrade.
Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z-690-F GAMING | CPU: i7-12700KF | RAM: 64 GB DDR5-6600 CL32 CORSAIR DOMINATOR TITANIUM | GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Case: Corsair 5000D AIRFLOW | Cooler: Corsair h150i ELITE CAPELLIX | Storage: Samsung 980 PRO 1TB | Storage 2: Samsung 870 EVO 1TB | Storage 3: WD BLUE 7200 RPM 2TB

Bigglet wrote:
Which motherboard are you using? Z690 since DDR5?
Check which BIOS version you're running - if it's the stock one that used to give stability issues. If that is the case, you will need to update your BIOS (check your mobo vendor website for BIOS files) in which case it may run more stable.

One way I could identify it was by running CPU-Z and checking the bus speed of your CPU:

If you haven't changed it, it should run at 100.00 MHz - If there is a large discrepancy (mine ran at 97.xxx MHz before BIOS update) then you are on an old version and should upgrade.

It's a Prime Z690-A with the latest BIOS (1720). No issues with Bus Speed (its at 100). The system has no overclock whatsoever, stock settings and limits are enforced in BIOS.

Bigglet
Level 8
You mention that "- Both XMP profiles have this issue, disabling XMP has no problems"

Is everything OK without XMP profiles?

Please remember that XMP profiles are also an overclock. They are not 100% guaranteed to work (although I suppose they are RMA-able if they don't work), but it can be a combination of many things. For me they also didn't work out of the box with XMP settings (memory errors, but infrequent). Increasing the voltage by 0.05V helped and it's now stable. I didn't want to bother waiting for RMA-ing the sticks so I solved it the practical way.

Therefore, I would propose to increase the voltage settings from XMP by the smallest increment and then try again (or if you know which stick is the bad one, do it on that one alone)
Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z-690-F GAMING | CPU: i7-12700KF | RAM: 64 GB DDR5-6600 CL32 CORSAIR DOMINATOR TITANIUM | GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Case: Corsair 5000D AIRFLOW | Cooler: Corsair h150i ELITE CAPELLIX | Storage: Samsung 980 PRO 1TB | Storage 2: Samsung 870 EVO 1TB | Storage 3: WD BLUE 7200 RPM 2TB

Hi kvarcg,

I think the advice from Bigglet to try another BIOS is good and something to try. I'm not aware of any directly related RAM issues, but there have been a lot of reported issues with BIOS 1720, mainly around higher CPU voltages and temperatures but also many complaints from over and under-clockers.

If BIOS 1601 is the appropriate step back for your board, then install that and leave all BIOS settings at defaults (which will disable XMP anyway) and try the tests again. If OK, then you might even be able to turn XMP back on

I have had no issues at all with 1601 (or earlier BIOSs for that matter) so worth a try. Because of reported issues, I haven't updated to 1720 and I admit that my RAM is only 5200MHz (with XMP on). But, over the years with various builds I haven't really noticed any practical difference by changing RAM speed. Still annoying not to be at full speed, but sometimes it's better just to be pragmatic and leave XMP off if the BIOS change doesn't work.

Sending back the RAM is an option, but like you say, that's going to be awkward. I'd certainly try another BIOS or disable XMP for a while before you decide. If you do disable XMP, try a couple of benchmarks with it turned ON/OFF. I'd be interested to know what results that gives. I hope one of these works for you. Faulty RAM can't be ruled out, but fingers crossed it's something easy to fix.
Z690 Hero, BIOS 3302, MEI 2345.5.3.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.

Memory VDD voltage 1.43
Memory VDDQ voltage 1.43

Your memory runs on Samsung chips. First, turn on the XMP-I profile, then immediately raise and fix the voltage at 1.43. Everything will work as it should. Pass the tests. Good luck!95133

XMP profiles on 2 different kits never work , had to use buildzoids ram settings. Gskill 6000 cl36 and Teamgroup 6200 cl38 on 2 12900k and 2 12900ks. oh and the asus tweaked profiles never was stable either. Dont know if its this Extreme since it was made in 2021 or their ppl tweaking their xmps.