Asus rog strix Z690G
Intel 12700K
2x16Gb Kingston DDR5
RX 6900 XT
Nvme Samsung 980 PRO
Samsung SSD
4x HDD WD.
PSU 1000W

Problem what I have that after one restart my PC boot only in BIOS.
I can not choose anymore boot drive from what I want to boot. It recognize all my drives, but I can not have them in boot menu.
If the Intel rapid technology is ON, system recognize them all as RAID.
If it is OFF, then all of them is AHCI, and Nvme is Nvme.
I change my MBO for new, same one, problem is the same.
I tested memory, it is good. Tested GPU, it is good. I tried to unplug all my drives, one by one, still same. Tried with other NvME, problem same.
Is it possible, that 2 MBO is faulty!?!
Also, If I put my RAM to run on XMP I get black screen, so I need to do hard reset to go in BIOS.
I updated BIOS to its last version!
Can some help or some had same problem??
9 REPLIES 9

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi black_sb,
For boot menu, do you mean it booted to windows successfully but only boot in bios after one restart?
Have you changed any settings or components before the restart?
Please check the drives one by one on bios 1720 with bios all default settings and only enable CSM.

For XMP I, is your RAM in our QVL list?
https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-z690-g-gaming-wifi-model/helpdesk_qvl_memory/
Please also check the ram stick one by one on bios 1720 with bios all default settings and only enable CSM and XMP I.
Thank you.

Hi,
In can not boot to windows,it boots automatically to bios. MBO sees all disks connected but I can not choose to boot from them, it says there is no drives.
For RAM, it is Kingston Fury... Worked in the past....maybe last bios update is a problem?!

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi black_sb,
Do you mean the pc cannot boot to windows and recognize drives in boot menu since first build?
First, please backup your personal data and remove all HDD from your pc. Second, please use disk rescue tool to rescue your SSD in disk enclosure and make it to unallocated condition. Third, please only install the SSD which you would like to install OS in your pc. Then, insert a bootable USB flash drive install OS.
For XMP I, was it working on bios 1601? We would suggest check the ram stick one by one and bios settings.
If you would like to revert bios to 1601, you can use bios flashback to downgrade it.
Thank you.

Hi Starrain,
Thanks for assistance.
I sorted out the problem with booting. It booted only to Bios and in bios i could not choose any boot device.
Problem with this new platfofrm (chipset) is that if the hard drive doesn't have that boot file it doesn't alow you to even boot from it (in my case). I am saying that because when problem happened I had windows update and that update messed up boot partition on OS drive.
Question is, does Intel Rapid Technology need to me turned on and what is the setup then for that controler VMD?

Regarding XMP, it worked in the past, now not, so probably it is due to Bios update and it should be reported so it can be fixed in future update.
Regards.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi black_sb,
Glad to see the booting issue is resolved.
Not sure if you would like to create RAID. If you would like to, please refer to the following link.
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1047139/

Regarding XMP, no sure if it is defective just a coincidence after bios update.
If it was working on bios 1601, could you please check the ram stick one by one and bios settings, also revert bios to 1601 to check it again?
Thank you.

Hi Starrain!

Thank you for reply.
Till now xmp is not working. Doesn't matter if I set it up on XMP I or II.
Also with new BIOS is the same problem.

I would say it is bios problem..

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi black_sb,
Is the new bios you mentioned 2004?
Have you tried reverting bios to 1601 after have XMP issue to check it again? Was it working fine after revert bios to 1601?
Please also check the ram stick one by one on bios 1720 or 2004 with bios all default settings and only enable XMP I or II to see if the issue is related to the specific ram stick or ram slot.
Thank you.

Hi,

Didn't try to revert to that old bios, don't want to have again boot problems...
What I did is meme test, passed good.
Tried with individual Ram stick to setup up xmp I and II and still doesn't work.
So i would say it need to be fixed with bios upgrade...
Or.. Is there something else what need to be setup together with xmp?

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi black_sb,
To make sure compatibility, we would suggest to try the ram in our QVL list.
https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-z690-g-gaming-wifi-model/helpdesk_qvl_memory/
Thank you.