cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to the forums.

Retired
Not applicable
Hello to all. Hopefully I can get a solid answer to a question here. First off, here is my rig:

CPU AMD Phenom IIx4 965
Mobo Asus M3n72-d
GPU Nvidia 460gtx
Ram pc2-6400 8 gb
Windows 7 64 bit.

Now, in ezflash, it says my bios version is 0603, if I am in the right place. It is dated 2008. Now for the problem:

I am getting horrible fps in multiple games that I own. I originally had a 8800gt with some problems, but it was 4 years old. So, I buy a ATI HD6850. Horrible fps in game and after two days got boxes on the screen.
So, I sent it back. Purchased the 460gtx and have the exact same issue. Is there something in my rig that would cause a bottleneck? Do I need to update my Bios? Help, I am lost. Never dealt with this kind of problem before and my head hurts from banging it on my desk!!!!

Thanks in advance!!

Forgot to mention, my 3dmark 06 score is 4853 😞
4 REPLIES 4

xeromist
So was the 6850 and now the GTX460 actually worse than your 8800GT?

Things you may want to look into:
Yes you can flash the BIOS and that might help you overclock your CPU better which might help in your games. As long as you follow the flashing instructions it is pretty safe.
Try disabling anything you can that is running on startup. Any extra software like file sharing, printer software, etc. If you got to Start>Run and type msconfig you can disable things starting up.
You may want to update your other drivers. One time I had a Logitech HID device that was causing horrible lag in certain games. I disabled it in the device manager after trial and error and suddenly everything was smooth.
And if you haven't already I would check the task manager (CTRL+ALT+DEL) to see if anything is taking more than its fair share of CPU time.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Retired
Not applicable
Yes, both were worse than my old 8800gt. I didn't think about other drivers. When I put this rig together, I disabled almost all start up programs. as far as cpu usage, I don't really see anything way to crazy, but most games use the steam overlay.

xeromist
Well, one of the quickest ways to separate out the basic components is to look at the windows experience scores. It's not a very good benchmark overall but it will tell you if your memory or graphics are especially killing you. Beyond that I would focus on your temperatures for the CPU and GPU while benchmarking specific components. For instance, try running LinX to load up the CPU and see what kind of temps you get.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Retired
Not applicable
according to that, everything except my cpu is 7.0 Cpu at 3.6!!!