cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G74sx and Corsair Vengeance 32GB 1600Mhz

OmegaMan
Level 7
Ok, I finally got my sticks and tested them with memtest86+, but I didn't do the 3 pass test, I almost got there but time ran out at 12% towards the third pass been done. So with two sticks I've got almost the proper settings, 10-10-10-27 @ 798Mhz not quite 1600Mhz. I don't know if it's normal just let me know. With four sticks in with a total of 32GB of ram I got down clocked @ 665mhz close but not 1333Mhz. Anyhow Memtest stated that these are working @ 1333Mhz.

So I got a few pics for you guys. Sorry for the crappy screen shots.

Here I got it to work in Sisoft Sandra, As you can see it detects that the ram is clocked at 10-10-10-27@1600mhz. But the Bios just doesn't let it clock to it's real speed, atleast it detects it has 32GB or ram installed.

Any Bios update in the near future ? Why did they got it locked down @1333Mhz ? From other people that I know that have been upgrading their non Asus laptop computers, no troubles at all for them. Just as an example the same ammount of ram @1333mhz would have costed me a 100$ less. Not good. With 2 sodimm installed windows experience goes up to 7.7 with four of these it drops back to 7.6 for a killer 0.1 gain LOL.

Cheers all.
Did the ram tweak, and got downclocked
7 REPLIES 7

dataDave
Level 7
I really don't have the patience to wait for an official bios update for this. I'm going to try my bios mod on Tuesday when my G74 turns up.

i7-2760QM + 4x 4gb 1600mhz direct from the reseller. Let's see how it performs when it first boots, I'd expect it to be set up and tested by them.

dataDave wrote:
I really don't have the patience to wait for an official bios update for this. I'm going to try my bios mod on Tuesday when my G74 turns up.

i7-2760QM + 4x 4gb 1600mhz direct from the reseller. Let's see how it performs when it first boots, I'd expect it to be set up and tested by them.

Unfortunatly I can't tell you if it's going to work better with 16gb on a 4 sodimm spread. Just bring your memtest cd with you, and check what it has to say for the ram operating frequency (refering to the black screenshot). If it's not showing 1600mhz let it go and don't buy those sticks. I wouldn't risk bricking my bios with some mods either. It's a shame we can't just use our laptop with desired memspecs that are currenly working over some other manufacturer's laptop 😞 . Atleast in my case what I'm happy about is that the bios detects and use the whole 32gb or ram installed.

dataDave wrote:

hey Dave i will b getting mine back on Thursday , please keep us informed if it works , i would love to get mine working at full speed like its supposed to be , I don't mind modding my Bios and trying to get things to work the way they should .
G74SX-BBK8
i7 2670QM
16GB 1600MHz
NVIDIA GTX 560M 2GB
120GB KINGSTON HYPER X SSD
INTEL CENTRINO ULTIMATE-N 6300

zsld0423
Level 9
It's a known issue that putting in 32GB of RAM will lock your RAM at 1333mhz max, but idk if ASUS will ever do anything about it 😕 If you only have 16GB of RAM in, it should read the full 1600mhz though (I think).
Sager NP9370
256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD + 750GB 7200RPM Secondary HDD
nVidia GeForce GTX 680M 4GB VRAM
Intel Core i7-3630QM 2.40GHz
16GB RAM
Mouse: MadCatz R.A.T. 7
Keyboard: Razer Lycosa Mirror
Additional Monitors: 24" 1080p Insignia LED/LCD TV and 21" Acer LCD Monitor
Windows 7 Ultimate

zsld0423 wrote:
It's a known issue that putting in 32GB of RAM will lock your RAM at 1333mhz max, but idk if ASUS will ever do anything about it 😕 If you only have 16GB of RAM in, it should read the full 1600mhz though (I think).

I think you're right about the 32gb issue, just got an average reply from corsair. Sux. So far they're only talking about the four populated sockets, nothing about dimm size. I guess we'll see when DataDave gets his laptop from the reseller. Maybe I should reply them with "works well with 4 populated sockets on kingston Hyper X 1866mhz". Waste of time. I guess I will return these and exchange for something else even if I have to lose 15% on the return.

The Kingston HyperX also works, but only at <= 16 GB. Like @zsld0423 said, 32GB is a known issue with higher speed RAM. There are several older threads that talk about this, @fostert did an excellent job of debugging the problems. In fact, he took the plunge of buying 32 GB of RAM when @Marshall said that the system did not support it. As we all now know, 32 GB works fine, but only at 1333 MHz.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

Zygomorphic wrote:
The Kingston HyperX also works, but only at <= 16 GB. Like @zsld0423 said, 32GB is a known issue with higher speed RAM. There are several older threads that talk about this, @fostert did an excellent job of debugging the problems. In fact, he took the plunge of buying 32 GB of RAM when @Marshall said that the system did not support it. As we all now know, 32 GB works fine, but only at 1333 MHz.

Yep I've chatted a bit with Fostert, and I knew he had 32gb @1333mhz installed in his rig, just wanted to test if the 1600mhz would work. They do work, 2 sockets x 8 gb will clock these up to 1600mhz when you get all 4 sockets populated that's where it hurts.

So just for the sake of it and wrap my ram experience, I decided to order 4 x 4gb @1866mhz Kingston Hyper X sodimm. Too bas they don't have the 8gb dimm out yet I would have bought those as well. Fostert did got it right on his gamble, not going over 1333mhz. That was clever. Too bad I can't find a place to buy another CPU to speed up the rig a little more, too bad the mobo and gpu are one block.