cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Prime z690-a keeps having fatal hardware error bsod

weati
Level 7
I keep getting a WHEA event ID 1 fatal hardware error BSOD that doesn't produce a dump. Tested the Ram for many hours and ran tests on the SSD. I've tried different GPUs and PSUs. Tried fresh installs of windows 10 and 11. BSOD happens sometimes while gaming and sometimes while system is idle. BSOD happens whether 12700k cpu is running stock or overclocked. I believe I've eliminated all culprits besides the CPU and Mobo. Any suggestions would be helpful.
4 REPLIES 4

JohnAb
Level 17
I just did two fresh installs of Win 11 Pro and I learnt something related to WHEA errors on my 690 Hero.

For the first install, I did not install Armoury Crate (turned off the install option in BIOS) and added all of the drivers manually from the motherboard support page. After a few hours I noticed (in HWInfo) that I was getting around 30 WHEA errors per minute. Unlike your errors, these were not fatal and had ID=17. Disk transfers were slower than normal and would eventually virtually stop. Reboots were also taking a long time and the errors were related to the PCIe bus. I did some digging, but couldn't track them down to a specific device in Event Viewer.

I had never had such errors before, so I decided to reinstall again and I used Armoury Crate to install all of the drivers. The only driver I added manually was the 'Rapid Storage Technology Driver' which can be downloaded from Armoury Crate in the tools/individual kits section. This is needed to setup RAID drivers, even though I don't use them and get rid of the yellow warning symbol for the PC in 'Devices and Printers'. Everything is now working perfectly. Not a single WHEA error after 18 hours.

Bit of a long shot, but might be worth a try? I assume you have set BIOS to defaults as well with XMP off for now? Also, have you changed your BIOS recently?
Z690 Hero, BIOS 3401, MEI 2406.5.5.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.

BenchAndGames
Level 10
What programas you used to test the RAM and how exactly u did it ?

ahfoo
Level 13
Any error message, windows log for further understand and solution.

Nate152