cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motherboard will not wake or reset after sleep

Shoktronic
Level 7
I am having an issue on my Asus Maximus Hero VIII where I put it to sleep and randomly it will completely shut down and not power back on or hard reset. I have to power off the power supply for several minutes and then power back on. I have RGB RAM that is always lit up while in sleep. When this happens everything goes dark except for the START button. It will still be lit up but pressing it or any other button does nothing.

I really need help with this ASAP.

I have upgraded the power supply to an EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 P+ 80+ PLATINUM 1600W Power Supply. Graphics was also upgraded to a 3090ti. This was happening prior to my PSU & graphics card upgrade.
9 REPLIES 9

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi Shoktronic,
Did you change any components or settings before the issue occurred?
Does the issue also happen on bios 3802 with bios all default settings(no OC)?
Thank you.

Shoktronic
Level 7
STARRAIN@ROG

Graphics & PSU were the only things changed. Settings were all left the same.

I will check BIOS version & settings and report back.

Shoktronic
Level 7
Starrain,

I finally was able to go over everything on my motherboard./system. I made a mistake and it is a Crosshair VIII Hero (Non-WiFi) NOT a Maximus. Not sure why I thought that.

The system has ran fine up until I changed graphics cards / power supplies.

The system when put into standby / sleep will apparently loose power to the RAM and cause the system to lock up and not be powered on again. Neither the case power button nor the "Start" button directly on the motherboard will turn on the system or resume. The only way to start the system again is to turn the power switch off and hold the power button to drain the power from the system. After about 1 minute I can then turn the power switch on and restart the system. I have a gamepad that the LEDs will briefly flash once the power has drained and will allow it to be turned back on. Also when this happens the LED lights on my RAM go dark. In a "normal" standby / sleep the RAM remains lit up. This does not happen all the time, it is completely random. One time while checking the BIOS startup screen it shut itself off when switching tabs. It has not done it since. Other than what I have stated the system has performed fne under normal use. Never had a power cutout while using the OS Windows 10. Also the system is not connected to any power backup device. I have change power strips to rule that out as well. I have 7 other PCs in the home and none are experiencing power issues.

What I have done:

Reseated all cables, connections, cards, memory in the system - No Change.

Swapped graphics cards (from EVGA 3090ti back to Asus 2090ti) - No Change

Removed 1 stick of RAM, reseated - No Change

Swapped RAM - No Change

Swapped PSU - No Change, but did not happen as frequent.

I am running BIOS 4201. It was installed 04/26/2022 (based on download history)

07/25/2020 was when I purchased the motherboard. I checked my download history and it looks like I installed 3402 04/23/2021.

For the life of me I don't know what else to check or do? Can you point me in the right direction?

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi Shoktronic,
Have you tried bios 4304 with bios all default settings(no OC) but the issue also occurred?
How often the issue occurs? like once in 10 times of sleep mode and once a day
May I have the serial number of your motherboard via pm?
Thank you.

Having the exact same problem with a brand new Crosshair VIII Hero and made my own post on it yesterday. If you do a search you'll find a 65 page thread here on the issue, and there have been MANY other such posts in large forums such as Tom's Hardware and Linus Tech Tips, as well as in many Amazon comments for the product. I described a temporary fix in my post that involves disabling sleep and configuring Windows to hibernate instead:

Because I need to be able to access computer remotely, turning off the PC when not in use is not an option for me. I also don't want to leave the PC running all the time. My solution was to disable sleep entirely and have the computer Hibernate instead after 60 minutes idle, and activate by WOL. So far the only downside is a slightly longer recovery on wake (15-20 seconds instead of 1-2). Here's exactly what I did:

In Control Panel->Hardware and Sounds->Power Options:
1) Select Balanced plan settings
2) Select "Change plan setting" and set "Put the computer to sleep" to "Never"
3) Select "Change advanced power settings" and under "Sleep" set "Hibernate after": to 60 minutes (or your desired sleep time)
4) Apply, go back to "Power Options," select "Choose what the power button does," and set "When I press the power button" to "Hibernate"
5) Under "Shutdown settings" check "Hibernate" box and uncheck "Sleep" box

In BIOS, I reset to defaults, re-enabled DOCP, and set up APM as follows:
* ErP Ready: Disabled
* Restore AC Power Loss: Last State
* Power On By PCI-E: Enabled
* Power On By RTC: Disabled

So far all is working perfectly -- even my Veeam backup software is waking the computer for nightly backups.

Maybe that will help. Seems to be a design flaw in the VIII Hero and Dark Hero.

I also have this problem. This is the second Asus MB with this symptom.

ASUS VIII Hero Dark
NVIDIA GeForceRTX 3060 Ti

It doesn't happen too often for me, because Windows 10 is currently waking itself from sleep on it's own. But it's very annoying when it happens because I have to take the top from my case to get access to the PSU power switch.

I don't like the time it takes to wake up from hibernate.

I am surprised that ASUS isn't able to fix this problem. Something is throwing the MB into a bad state where it ignores both the power and reset buttons.

I hope they can resolve it for you. Mine started out intermittent but got worse and worse over several weeks. Seems there is some part (maybe a cap, solder joint, VRM, etc.) that fails over time. After 7-8 weeks of going back and forth with ASUS (I won't get into the long support story nightmare) I reached out to Amazon and they agreed to refund my 2+ month old board. ASUS was going to send a replacement, but 1) it was going to be a used board to replace the new board and 2) they said the issue was known but wouldn't explain what it was or if/how it would be fixed on a replacement board. I explained most people who receive replacements ended up experiencing the same issue but they didn't respond to that part. Ended up getting an MSI Meg X570S Ace and so far the board has been running flawlessly.

schwartz1030 wrote:
I also have this problem. This is the second Asus MB with this symptom.

ASUS VIII Hero Dark
NVIDIA GeForceRTX 3060 Ti

It doesn't happen too often for me, because Windows 10 is currently waking itself from sleep on it's own. But it's very annoying when it happens because I have to take the top from my case to get access to the PSU power switch.

I don't like the time it takes to wake up from hibernate.

I am surprised that ASUS isn't able to fix this problem. Something is throwing the MB into a bad state where it ignores both the power and reset buttons.

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hello, schwartz1030.

Could you please provide the serial number of your motherboard via PM?

Thank you.

Please read my reply again. So frustrating that ASUS responds like this without even reading what they are replying to. As I wrote, after several weeks of completely useless support from ASUS, we cancelled our advance replacement order an hour after placing it because ASUS was going to send a used board to replace our brand new board, and they were no longer able or willing to explain the known design/manufacturing defect with the board, meaning my company had no confidence the issue wouldn't return (just like it had for the OP's experience). We instead reached out to Amazon who agreed to take the board back even though ASUS support dragged us along for two months, past the return window. We are now fighting with ASUS to correct their records to show the advanced replacement was turned back around to and accepted by the ASUS facility that shipped it. Just a horrible mess and we won't be purchasing ASUS again nor recommending to our clients and audiences.