cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z670E and 7950x

bigbeard
Level 8
I bought a 7950x and an Asus Crosshero Hero.

The motherboard seems to still be poorly supported.

Asus does not list any ram that runs 6000mhz at cl30, according to the support page of that motherboard.

I purchased an AMD expo kit rated for this speed and i get constant BSOD.

also, many 3rd party monitoring software does not work. For example, FanControl software, which is far better than the slow and clunky asus, does not detect any of my case fans. Asus fan xepert does, but it doesnt allow me to run my fans below 20%. With the other software, i was able to set my fans ot 0%.

software such and rivatuner also does not report CPU temps.

Will my AMD expo gskill kit be supported? I don't understand what is going on. Everything is a mess.
13 REPLIES 13

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Hello,

To confirm, you're running an X670E Crosshair Hero and using a kit not on the QVL? Can you at least state which kit it is.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone@ROG wrote:
Hello,

To confirm, you're running an X670E Crosshair Hero and using a kit not on the QVL? Can you at least state which kit it is.

yes, that is my setup, and this is the kit: https://www.gskill.com/product/165/390/1661410135/F5-6000J3038F16GX2-TZ5NR

It resulted in BSOD within 1 minute of loading into windows. I put it back to default. I tried it a bit earl this morning and it did boot without BSOD, but am not sure how stable it is. Will a Bios update resolve some of these issues?

Also, Is there a reason why FanXpert wont let me set my fan speed to below 20% PWM?

bigbeard wrote:
yes, that is my setup, and this is the kit: https://www.gskill.com/product/165/390/1661410135/F5-6000J3038F16GX2-TZ5NR

It resulted in BSOD within 1 minute of loading into windows. I put it back to default. I tried it a bit earl this morning and it did boot without BSOD, but am not sure how stable it is. Will a Bios update resolve some of these issues?

Also, Is there a reason why FanXpert wont let me set my fan speed to below 20% PWM?

Hi,

Silent Scone@ROG got it right, your RAM kit is not in the QVL : https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-crosshair/rog-crosshair-x670e-hero-model/helpdesk_qvl_memory/

- @G.SKILL you cannot go beyond 5600MHz (F5-5600U4040C16GX2-TZ5RK or F5-5600J4040C16GX2-TZ5RS) with your motherboard to date.
- @6000MHz you can use the Kingston KF560C40BBK2-32 with your motherboard for example.

Is this planned to be supported?

I paid a lot for this motherboard, for it to not support what should be a standard ddr5 speed for the 7950x?

bigbeard wrote:
Is this planned to be supported?

I paid a lot for this motherboard, for it to not support what should be a standard ddr5 speed for the 7950x?

More kits will likely be added in time.

6000MT is not standard for a 7950X, the stock operating parameters can be found on AMD's product page. For two single-rank modules, the default frequency is 3600MT/s. Beyond this is overclocking.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone@ROG wrote:
More kits will likely be added in time.

6000MT is not standard for a 7950X, the stock operating parameters can be found on AMD's product page. For two single-rank modules, the default frequency is 3600MT/s. Beyond this is overclocking.

Someone better tell AMD that!

To quote

"Robert Hallock, Technical Marketing Manager for AMD, confirmed on official Discord channel what would be the best memory configuration for Ryzen 7000 series.

For Ryzen 7000 series, the best choice for DDR5 memory would be 6000 MT/s. By sweet spot, Hallock understands the best cost, stability, performance, availability, and ease of use. Furthermore, users should look for two module kits because four, although supported, will make it hard for signal routing to reach integrity, compromising the maximum performance.
"

zoghlin.com wrote:
Someone better tell AMD that!

To quote

"Robert Hallock, Technical Marketing Manager for AMD, confirmed on official Discord channel what would be the best memory configuration for Ryzen 7000 series.

For Ryzen 7000 series, the best choice for DDR5 memory would be 6000 MT/s. By sweet spot, Hallock understands the best cost, stability, performance, availability, and ease of use. Furthermore, users should look for two module kits because four, although supported, will make it hard for signal routing to reach integrity, compromising the maximum performance.
"

It's still overclocking. The RAM manufacturers don't make silicon with a standard clock that high for DDR5. XMP and DOCP ratings are overclocked. It's the same situation that existed on AM4; if you asked the right people at AMD, they would tell you that DDR4-3600 was the sweet spot (but that was well into overclocking territory). DDR5-6000 is the new sweet spot for AM5 / Ryzen 7000.

AMD are quite friendly towards RAM overclocking, but that doesn't change the default/stock speeds.

Silent Scone@ROG wrote:
Hello,

Can you please help me. I thought itnwas the ram but now I'm not sure. All settings are at stock and windows is having strange issues.

Some usb devices are completely unpowered in windows, such as my webcam and mouse. This problem occurs intermittently. It is so weird that there is no mouse cursor in windows when it occurs, however, the mouse is always functional in windows.

Does this seem like a defective motherboard? Should i try flashing a bets bios? I'm on the original bios.

Braegnok
Level 14
I have Asus ROG Crosshair X670E & 7950X, I ordered all my hardware before the motherboard was released,.. I'm still waiting on Velocity2 from EK.

I ordered G.SKILL F5-6000J3038F16X2-TZ5N : https://www.gskill.com/product/165/393/1661410171/F5-6000J3038F16GX2-TZ5N

This kit is listed in G.SKILL QVL for my motherboard,.. the Z5 Neo modules are optimized for AMD 7000 series with AMD EXPO.

My advice would be check, insure your using correct DIMM slots, pull and reset modules then test in default settings.

I hope the Neo Z5 modules work with my system,.. I will post back when I get system fired up. :confused: