Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    ROG Enthusiast Array

Any success with Windows 11 22H2?

Has anyone had luck updating or installing Windows 11 22H2 yet on Z690 Hero systems? For a few days, Windows Update showed 22H2 was an option. Attempts to update however failed after about 8% in. Now, all I see in Windows Update is Coming soon: Windows 11, version 22H2. No information is provided about any specific safeguards which would be preventing this from occurring.

The system firmware is completely up to date right now with 2004 BIOS and ME. All latest drivers are also updated as of today.

Of all the ASUS software, I only plan on installing Crate and this is just to control Aura lighting.

I need to re-install the OS anyway and I am half tempted to see what happens with 22H2. But would like to know what others have run into on this. Or is it just best to reinstall the original Windows 11 and wait until Asus gives the green light?

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array geneo PC Specs
    geneo PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)13" Macbook Pro M1
    MotherboardROG Maximus XIII Hero (WiFi)
    Processori9-10900k 5.2 GHz AVX0 all core, 1.28v
    Memory (part number)32 GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 4266 @ CL18
    Graphics Card #1Asus ROG Strix 2070 Super A8G
    Sound CardOn-board
    MonitorEIZO Coloredge CG2730 and Viewsonic QHD displays
    Storage #1WDC SN850 1TB, Samsung 980 1TB
    Storage #21TB 850 x 1 TB 860 EVO RAID0, 6 TB WDC Black, 6TB IronWolf Pro
    CPU CoolerEK-AIO 360 D-RGB w/Phanteks T30 -120 fans, 1 Noctua Chromax 140 case fan
    CaseFractal Design Meshify 2 dark tint
    Power Supply750W Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium Plus
    Keyboard Glorious GMMK TKL
    Mouse Logitech G305
    Headset Bose QC15
    Headset/Speakers Vanatoo T1, Klipsch R-12SWi Sub
    OS Windows 11 Pro X64, 22H2
    Network RouterLinksys EA7300
    Accessory #1 Logitech c920e webcam
    Accessory #2 Sabrent DS-SC5B 5-Bay USB-C HDD docking station
    Accessory #3 xrite i1 Display monitor calibration

Asus won’t give a green light.

ROG Member Array

You can force install by using Windows installation assistant ( I used assistant) or Windows media creation tool, depends what you want upgrade or clean install)

Also anti virus of some vendors can make problems. I had similar problem (i.e windows 22h2 was pretending to install come to some % then stop) until I did not uninstall third party antivirus.

I have asus board (prime x470) tough not z690 (that is I have that too but I wait for Raptor Lake to use it )..That would be my first Intel build in 25 years.

I hope that can help you.
    Last edited by Bainsmit; 09-30-2022 at 11:44 AM.

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array Saltgrass PC Specs
    Saltgrass PC Specs
    MotherboardMaximus XIII Hero
    Processori9 11900K
    Graphics Card #1EVGA RTX 3090 FTW
    Sound CardOn Board
    MonitorDell AW3420DW
    Storage #1Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB
    Storage #2Samsung 860 Pro 1 TB
    CPU CoolerCooler Master Hyper 212X
    CaseCooler Master
    Power SupplyAntec HCP Platinum 1000
    Keyboard ASUS Strix Flare
    Mouse ASUS Chakram
    Headset/Speakers Logitech wired 5.1
    OS Win 10 Pro
    Network RouterROG Rapture GT-AX11000/AXE11000
    Accessory #1 VR Headset
    Accessory #2 Saitek X52

This seems to be an interesting site. It is a third party site so be careful but something there may help explain.

https://www.diskpart.com/windows-11/...ility%20issues.

There are many folks who have not yet upgraded to 22H2 because it hasn't been offered. This seems to be a different situation where an upgrade has been offered and is attempted but something is found which blocks the upgrade.

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array ahfoo's Avatar

I personally do not facing any issue for Windows 1122H2. I am currently running a dev version of Windows 11 dev version 25211, and touch wood I never encounter major issue.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by rsnelson View Post
    Has anyone had luck updating or installing Windows 11 22H2 yet on Z690 Hero systems? For a few days, Windows Update showed 22H2 was an option. Attempts to update however failed after about 8% in. Now, all I see in Windows Update is Coming soon: Windows 11, version 22H2. No information is provided about any specific safeguards which would be preventing this from occurring.

The system firmware is completely up to date right now with 2004 BIOS and ME. All latest drivers are also updated as of today.

Of all the ASUS software, I only plan on installing Crate and this is just to control Aura lighting.

I need to re-install the OS anyway and I am half tempted to see what happens with 22H2. But would like to know what others have run into on this. Or is it just best to reinstall the original Windows 11 and wait until Asus gives the green light?
    I didn't update windows from windows update I just clean installed it the only issue I am facing is with Crate, aio hardware won't show after sleep mode everytime i need to restart pc to work + MB is not showing in components

Quote Originally Posted by sukrut4778 View Post
    I didn't update windows from windows update I just clean installed it the only issue I am facing is with Crate, aio hardware won't show after sleep mode everytime i need to restart pc to work + MB is not showing in components
    Please enlighten us by informing us here more detail about your hardware spec. But one thing I am curious that at any one point windows 11 provide new update for windows you re-install windows that puzzle me in a way.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by ahfoo View Post
    Please enlighten us by informing us here more detail about your hardware spec. But one thing I am curious that at any one point windows 11 provide new update for windows you re-install windows that puzzle me in a way.
    Detailed specs: Hero Z690 motherboard, i9-12900K CPU, G.SKILL F5-6000J3040F16GX2-TZ5RK (2x16GB) memory, ASUS Thor 1200W power supply, ROG-STRIX-RTX3080TI-O12G-GAMING graphics card, EKWB custom cooling

I was able to enable XMP on the memory without issue. However, I could not get overclocking to work.. but I didn't try that hard (tried without XMP enabled).

Detailed information about installation: This is a fairly new build. I installed Windows 11 Pro without issue. With this I installed all the recommended ASUS software plus some others to test out the components as well as to monitor the health of the system. I found many of the ASUS software products to compete with each other or have issues. For example, AI Suite 3 EPU controls fan settings as well as Crate's Fan Expert. GPU Tweak III would force my monitor to refresh at 30 Hz upon system startup (along with an error message). I was also over my head with things that could be done in AI Suite and quite frankly afraid of attempting to change any of the settings. So my system was full of software which I really couldn't or didn't want to utilize any of their features.

At that point Windows 22H2 was made available to me through Windows Update. However, I could not install because it would error out at about 8%. Fingers pointed to corrupted windows update components. sfc showed bthmodem.sys as being corrupted.

So I thought it would be best at this point to just try a fresh install of Windows 11 21H2. After a fresh install sfc still showed bthmodem.sys was still corrupted. No Asus supplementary (i.e. non driver) software was installed. Windows update was not giving options to update to Windows 11 22H2 at all. After a few days, Windows Update said "Coming soon: Windows 11, version 22H2" with no indication of what was causing the block.

I updated the system with all the latest drivers available on the ASUS website as well as others which were available elsewhere and not yet available at Asus.com (mainly Intel WiFi and LAN drivers).

I also updated the BIOS to 2004 and included the ME firmware and driver updates.

Still, Windows Update had the safeguard hold.

This morning, Windows Update is giving options to update to Windows 11 22H2. I'm guessing this is available now because the system has all the latest drivers.

I may try and install 22H2 fresh based on the fact Windows 11 seems to have 'approved' my system. It sounds like there may be some issues with Crate (as mentioned by sukrut4778 - thanks!) which I may need to be aware of.
    Last edited by rsnelson; 09-30-2022 at 06:02 PM.

Sorry to offence Asus, Crate always behave in odd with different system. I tried to not update my crate that work well with iCUE which control most of my system fan and CPU fan(air cool Noctual D15 Chromax black). I install crate because I need the Asus plugin to work with iCUE for GPU and mobo. But despite that, I never encounter any issue for Asus mobo with Windows 11 22H2. My advice is if your crate managed to work well after with windows 11 22H2. Just leave crate alone with that version sitting there quietly and dont bother to update it if you can. DO not fix it if aint broke.

But so far I am quite happy to see my non dev version of windows 11 with Asus mobo, crate and GPU are still working without any issue. To be honest I hate updating/upgrading all the time except device drivers.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

Using 22H2 installed from the official ISO. No issues yet, except now I can see that Stockfish chess (run through Chessbase or Arena UCI) doesn't put all the P-cores to sleep when alt tabbing into a browser window (or starting up HWinfo)--the cores remain fully loaded, so now I can go on lichess to the puzzle window without stockfish running on just the e-cores and losing 75% of its hash rate. So that's a relief.

LinX still drops in gflops (puts P cores idle) when alt tabbing to a browser though

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast