cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ryzen 7950 / X670e Hero / DDR5 6000 (ARS32G60D5R) / very slow bios post

ffletchs
Level 10
Hi, just built a new 7950x/X670e hero setup, all is working perfectly, seems rock stable and blistering fast! :cool:

I have just one issue, there was no EXPO memory avaible when I bought so I got a memory thats not on the QVL list, ARS32G60D5R DDR5-6000 kit
https://www.gigabyte.com/Memory/AORUS-RGB-Memory-DDR5-32GB--2x16GB-6000MHz/support#support-doc

Works fine with DOCP loaded but post takes forever, up-to-a minute, seems to be training on every boot, even if I set all subtimings manually

Thought? live with it or replace with EXPO ?

best regards,
fFletchs
6 REPLIES 6

d0x360
Level 7
I bought some pny memory expecting to replace it when good Ryzen 7000 memory starts hitting the market. I don't know why it's taking a min on every boot... Have you tried running memtest86?

I'd do at least 4 passes of every test. If you get any errors then that's the issue.

Also what is your memory speed and CAS timings? Oh and in the timings page make sure it's set to 1T not 2T.

ffletchs
Level 10
Passes all stability tests I've tried, including prime and memtest. Speed is DDR6000, timing 40-40-40-76. It also takes a long time even if I run the memory on stock speed (dont load DOCP).

Shenny
Level 11
It is typical that first Bios versions are quite immature and unoptimized. In fact, it may not be even related to your memory. A few years ago I had another Asus mobo with Intel chipset which also posted like forever. It turned out that it was because I had connected my UPS via USB cable to the PC for some monitoring tool and it took a long time for the BIOS to recognize it before posting. After disconnecting the UPS, everything was normal.
Have you tried to start your PC with a minimal set of peripherals and hardware to check how it behaves?
Most likely, this issue will be fixed in a future BIOS version but when, I have no idea.

A side question - did the new CPU and mobo meet your expectations?

I also have a ROG Crosshair X670E Hero mainboard with BIOS 0611 and AMD Ryzen 9 7950x processor. As memories I have a 2x16Gb kit from Kingston CL36 6000MT/s certified EXPO and I noticed that the PC boot is very long.
When booting the PC before the ASUS logo appears it takes at least 20-25 seconds.
The tests pass regularly and the PC once the OS is loaded is all OK and very fast.
At the moment I have found no way to speed up the boot in the meantime I keep an eye on the release of new BIOS for this platform.

Shenny wrote:
A side question - did the new CPU and mobo meet your expectations?

Apart from this long bios post time, this feels like the most mature new plaform I've tried, had zero other issues and its blistering fast!

LainX84 wrote:
I also have a ROG Crosshair X670E Hero mainboard with BIOS 0611 and AMD Ryzen 9 7950x processor. As memories I have a 2x16Gb kit from Kingston CL36 6000MT/s certified EXPO and I noticed that the PC boot is very long.

So EXPO behaves the same? btw I'm using the newest beta bios currently on the site, 0703

Silent Scone@ROG wrote:
Hello,

As already mentioned as this is AMD's first implementation of DDR5 the training routines might be long but are needed to ensure stability. If the trained settings are stable, you can enable Context Restore which is located under the DRAM settings menu. This will stop the system from training on a warm reboot.

Thanks, I've enabled Context Restore, set all timings manually before (wrong?), boot seems faster but still what I would call slow, no worries I knew this was a new plaform and there might be some maturity issues.

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Hello,

As already mentioned as this is AMD's first implementation of DDR5 the training routines might be long but are needed to ensure stability. If the trained settings are stable, you can enable Context Restore which is located under the DRAM settings menu. This will stop the system from training on a warm reboot.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090