cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Few things I dont like in RT-N12+

PlayFoward
Level 7
Hello everyone, wanna share my bad feeling about that router.

I don't know why they made domeins in router settings. When I type 192.168.1.1 is going to router.asus.com. And if you don't have internet, is going give you error. And you must type again the ip.... Amazing an idea, without even test it.

The router can't handle high speed, I feel sometimes the router disconnecting from connection because cannot handle. I refuse to put limitation on my internet, because is someone did not test it before start to sell it. My D-link 20yo router can handle without a single problem. I buy that router in hope can handle better connection in future, because my old router it is old... and I have a problems on 100Mbps..

I'm disappointed.
3 REPLIES 3

Murph_9000
Level 14
The RT-N12+ is a 2014 model, going by the earliest firmware available for it. The most recent firmware for it was 2017, it's end-of-life, and probably has a bunch of known security vulnerabilities. If you bought it new in 2022 and the seller didn't disclose that it was ancient/obsolete, sorry to say, but you kinda got ripped off by the seller.

Consumer internet speeds were a lot slower in 2014, so it was probably ok when it was first released to the market. 100 Mbit residential Internet would have been quite rare back then, compared to today.

ASUS recommend the RT-AX53U as the replacement for the RT-N12+, which should be much more capable of handling 100 Mbit. There are faster models available than that one, it's just what's recommended on the EoL list.

It is sad, even for 100mbps cant be stable. And that model is for 300mbps wtf.
Any way. For next router I may choice again my previous brand. At least I know they are stable. I thought Asus can't disappoint me.

PlayFoward wrote:
It is sad, even for 100mbps cant be stable. And that model is for 300mbps wtf.
Any way. For next router I may choice again my previous brand. At least I know they are stable. I thought Asus can't disappoint me.

It's not a 300 Mbps router. N300 does not mean it can handle 300 Mbit Internet routing, only that in rare circumstances it can do up to 300 Mbit Wifi. N300 is actually quite misleading, but something that's industry-wide (not specific to ASUS, all the manufacturers advertise them the same way). N300 routers can actually only reliably do about 30 Mbit Wifi in dense urban environments, because the 300 is only possible on 40 MHz channels which just don't work well in dense areas, so becomes 20 MHz / 150 Mbit shared between up to around 5 to 10 networks (and further reduced by older Wifi b/g devices, microwave ovens, cordless phones, baby monitors, Bluetooth, wireless keyboards and mice, and various other uses of the 2.4GHz spectrum). That bandwidth is also shared between all networks within range. In practice, a N300 router in a dense environment is limited to around 30 Mbit at peak times. N300 can do more in a rural or isolated location, but is still subject to interference which reduces bandwidth.

Basically 2.4 GHz Wifi is not really suitable for 100 Mbit+ Internet connections, you need at least AC1200 or AX1800 to reliably handle 100 Mbit. In 2022, AX / Wifi 6 is the best / preferred option, but AC / Wifi 5 is ok if you can find one that's significantly cheaper than AX and still getting security updates. N / Wifi 4 is essentially obsolete and should only be used for legacy and slow (10 to 25 Mbit) Internet connections or other low bandwidth applications (but older Wifi 4 / N models should be avoided due to security vulnerabilities). An easy rule of thumb is to divide the AC/AX number by 10 for the maximum Internet bandwidth, if you want to have the best chance of maximising your connection at peak times, although it's not an exact thing. AC & AX normally have far less interference on the 5GHz band, and have a shorter range so are less impacted by nearby networks; so you don't necessarily need to go quite so high on higher bandwidth connections (e.g. a good AX5400/AX6000 can probably handle 1 Gbit+ in many cases).