cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FX505dt bluetooth radio disabled without bios option, not showing in device manager

xeneks
Level 8
Hello, Asus Tuf Gaming fx505dt AL-043T user here,

it seems someone has broken something - bluetooth isn't working on the PCI interface via a 'card attached to the systemboard'

I've tried 2x realtek PCI adaptors (Original, and another one from a same-year ASUS ROG notebook)
I've tried an Intel PCI adaptor. The wifi worked on that, like with the two realtek adaptors, the wifi works fine. It's the bluetooth component of the PCI card that fails to function.

I've reinstalled twice and have tested it using 3 different versions of windows 11. I've used different Microsoft accounts, during installs. I've tried with all updates.

Q1.

Is there a way I can revert the Bios & OS to 'factory', without downloading the individual files? Is there an ISO or DD of the factory installation, and a 'factory bios'

Q2.

Is there a hidden way to disable the bluetooth from the bios, via AMD or Nvidia chipset, or from windows, but where it modifies the bios support for bluetooth?

Q3.

How can I revert firmware in bluetooth adaptors?

Q4.

Is there a linux distribution and instructions on how to identify what feature sets are functioning in the bluetooth/wifi radio module, so I can work out what techniques is being used to disable or fail the radio, or what hardware failure is common to the bluetooth radios I've used over the years?

Q5.

Is there a module that I can install that is a 'test module' that does hardware diagnosis on the PCI bus?

Musings and thoughts... lots of other less important questions.

I don't think you can disable bluetooth selectively in the bios, as the option isn't present in the recent bios. However, it may have been present in an earlier bios. Could it have been disabled, but now the new bios has no option to re-enable it?

I've actually tried bios resets, and also have downgraded the bios a version previously.
Is there any other NVRam in the computer that would disable the Bluetooth?

As the wifi works fine, I don't think the problem is the PCI card and interface. Besides, I have tested a 'known functional' wifi/bluetooth card.

The radio doesn't show during installation. It's not working under linux either. It doesn't show in device manager. It doesn't show as an unknown device or a hidden device. It's as if the three cards I have are all missing the bluetooth radio.

This is not uncommon. I've had this on a HP notebook and other notebooks also, from different manufacturers, where everything works fine then without warning, the bluetooth fails, even though the wifi works.

Is there a failed corporation or corrupt nationstate that hijacks or repurposes the radio for other reasons? Is the bluetooth SIG wasting my time by taking over the bluetooth radio to detect bluetooth interference from other bluetooth devices?

Actually, that crazy thought makes me wonder more.

Does the bluetooth SIG have any tools I can use on this computer, or another, to reinstall the bluetooth card firmware?

I've configured Bluetooth devices on an SPI bus on simpler hardware before. Is there a SPI bus I can expose on the bluetooth adaptor that would let me reprogram the firmware using another hardware device?

For a while I was using two bluetooth devices, as I was doing some checks on different versions and range.

Could it have been that the driver for one bluetooth adaptor had a silent integrated background firmware update, but the firmware update intended for one, was applied to another, the wrong system adaptor, the second bluetooth radio?

Note: If I plug in an external USB bluetooth adaptor, it works fine. But at no stage does the first bluetooth module show in device manager, no matter what card is fitted. This is why I assume it's been deliberately or inadvertently damaged through incompetence or failure of using sound and appropriate engineering and isn't typical hardware failure such as faulty or defective equipment.
1 REPLY 1

xeneks
Level 8
As it's really annoying, and I see some posts have 1000 views with few comments, I'm still looking for solutions, please feel free to lend in any suggestions even if you're unsure yourself.

I'll try this (masking or covering pins with some tape)

https://community.intel.com/t5/Wireless/Intel-AC-7265-NGW-Lost-Bluetooth-functionality/m-p/689699

this page has detail on the connector

https://pinoutguide.com/HD/M.2_NGFF_connector_pinout.shtml

I note that the key ID of the card is E, but I can physically use a card with key ID M.

Key
ID Notched
pins Provided interfaces
A 8–15 2× PCIe ×1, USB 2.0, I2C and DP ×4
B 12–19 PCIe ×2, SATA, USB 2.0 and 3.0, audio, UIM, HSIC, SSIC, I2C and SMBus
C 16–23 Reserved for future use
D 20–27
E 24–31 2× PCIe ×1, USB 2.0, I2C, SDIO, UART, PCM and CNVi
F 28–35 Future Memory Interface (FMI)
G 39–46 Reserved for custom use (unused in the M.2 specification)
H 43–50 Reserved for future use
J 47–54
K 51–58
L 55–62
M 59–66 PCIe ×4, SATA and SMBus