cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G513QC and Dell docking station WD19S

warenbe
Level 7
Hi

i bought a Dell docking station few days ago to simplify my setup as i use the G513 for both work and game
but when i plug in the WD19S docking station from dell on the computer, it does not work
the docking station works fine with another computer (MSI).

the only way to get it working is to plug both the docking station AND the power supply from Asus.
if i unplug the power supply from asus, the dell docking station seems to deliver power to the computer, but after something like 10 seconds, the docking station stop delivering power and disconnect/reconnect
this is in an infinite loop

as the WD19s works fine with other computer (lenovo, msi...), i suspect the Asus computer to be in fault.
what can i check ?
Thank you
6 REPLIES 6

xeromist
It looks like Dell has a firmware update utility. I would recommend checking to make sure there isn't a newer firmware.
https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/product-support/product/dell-wd19s-130w-dock/drivers
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Hi

I tried. it is up to date.
the fact that the docking station work on any other computer seems to show that it's a problem in the Asus computer.

edit: to explain better
my guess is the computer takepower from the docking station, but for unknown reason stop the USB interface after some seconds.
if you plug the power supply of the computer, it works, perhaps because the computer does not try to take power from the docking station
like if the computer was protecting itself from surge or something like that on the usb-c interface....

xeromist
Most likely this is because the Dell dock attempts to act as a charger but is unable to supply sufficient power. The stock power brick from ASUS is 150w but that dock can only supply 90w (theoretically). If the notebook and the dock are unable to negotiate power delivery then you will get the stopping and starting behavior you see. This is why I was hoping perhaps a firmware update could help by updating the logic used for negotiation of the connection.

I'm not aware of any way to tell either the notebook or dock *not* to attempt to charge so it sounds like the solution is to make sure the OEM power supply is connected.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

SuperTrooper
Level 7

I have a Asus ROG Strix G713QM as BYOD for work. At the office we have about 15 Dell docks. The WDS19s and also the WD15 ones.
I have a WD19s at home for WFH.
It is inceredible but totally random: some WDS19s work and some not. I just reinstalled Windows 11 and at this moment my home setup doesn't work. I have power over USB, but my 2 monitors stay black...
I had that problem before and swapped one from the office that did work. Also upgrading to the most recent firmware breaks it more often than that it helps because if I upgrade I get the same problem as you have: USB power up/down infinite loop...

There was a similar situation, what I did not do, but in the end I took the computer to the service and there reinstalled the system from scratch. The service also could not find the cause, but at least they found a solution to the problem.

SuperTrooper
Level 7

I bought a new M.2 (2Tbyte) and reïnstalled Windows 11 fresh from USB-stick past weekend. I work in IT.

Today I could fix my 2 monitors not functioning by uncoupling, resetting the dock and plugging it back in.

Only now I still have the problem when my monitors are shutdown bc of energy-settings in Windows (when AFK), when I come back my laptop screen will turn back on but my 2 monitors stay black again. Unplugging the dock and plugging it back in works atm... It is sooo anoying.