cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BIOS 0705 Limiting boost speeds of 7950x on Crosshair X670E Hero Board

Soupladel
Level 10
As per title, earlier revisions of the BIOS for my motherboard had my CPU boosting as high as 5.75 which from everything i have seen to date is normal behaviour for the CPU.

However, ever since 0705 the boosting behaviour of the CPU is now limited to 5.5Ghz on all cores, as in no single core will boost higher than this other than occasionally core 0.

So my question of support is this: is this expected behaviour for the combination of the 7950x, Crosshair X670E Hero motherboard and BIOS revision 0705?

i know this is a new platform and there are going to be some teething issues, but i am trying to establish if this is something that will change with later BIOS revisions or whether this is because there is an issue with my CPU and/or motherboard which is being detected by the BIOS and therefore limiting the boost frequencies?
41 REPLIES 41

Soupladel
Level 10
Is anyone even able to confirm when the next BIOS update is likely to come out?

Soupladel wrote:
Is anyone even able to confirm when the next BIOS update is likely to come out?

New beta bios 0801 for Hero, https://www.dropbox.com/s/bzdr8621s39kid7/ROG-CROSSHAIR-X670E-HERO-ASUS-0801.zip?dl=0

.. adds igpu dis
.. adds per-core frequency limiter

I'm running 0801 beta on my Gene, it's solid. :cool:

Soupladel
Level 10
Thank for this, unfortunately it hasn't helped as all cores are still limited to 5.5Ghz with core 0 occasionally boosting to 5.75

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi Soupladel,
May I know how you check CPU speeds?
Do you adjust any bios settings?
How was it on 0705 with bios all default settings?
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi Soupladel,
May I know how you check CPU speeds?
Do you adjust any bios settings?
How was it on 0705 with bios all default settings?
Thank you.

I have been using HWinfo64 to monitor core speeds and temperatures, i have also tried HWMonitor and Ryzen master with the same results

I have enabled DOCP I, enabled enhancement for PBO and set a target of 90c, i have also set a -30 offset in curve optimiser with the PBO limits set to motherboard, i have also disabled the monitor for CPU fan speed because i am using an AIO.

However, i have also run everything completely at default (on 0705 Bios) and it made no difference to the boosting behaviour, i see core 0 occasional boost up to 5.75 but for the most part unless it is an all core 100% load, most of the core seem to hit a wall at 5.5Ghz.

I have also tried the beta BIOS mentioned above (0801) and nothing has changed.

When i was on previous version of the BIOS, all cores where boosting correctly (other than CCD2 performing significantly slower than CCD1 but i have come to understand thats probably normal behaviour) but i couldn't stay on those earlier version because i was having memory stability issues that were causing the entire PC to reboot, no error, no warning, no bluescreen, just a reset like someone had hit a switch.

It seems my problems with the boosting behaviour all started around the time i applied the previous beta version of the BIOS 0703 which applied the "ComboAM5PI 1.0.0.3 patch A"

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi Soupladel,
Did you download BIOS 0703 from our official website or other site?
Is the previous BIOS version which you got 5.75Ghz BIOS 0611?
May I have the following information?
- the serial number of the motherboard via pm
- the brand and model name of your ram, graphics card, PSU, and OS drive
(Please check the specific model name of ram such as G.SKILL F4-4600C18D-16GTRG.)
- graphics driver version
- OS version and OS build
- screenshots of core speeds in HWinfo64/HWMonitor/Ryzen master
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi Soupladel,
Did you download BIOS 0703 from our official website or other site?
Is the previous BIOS version which you got 5.75Ghz BIOS 0611?
May I have the following information?
- the serial number of the motherboard via pm
- the brand and model name of your ram, graphics card, PSU, and OS drive
(Please check the specific model name of ram such as G.SKILL F4-4600C18D-16GTRG.)
- graphics driver version
- OS version and OS build
- screenshots of core speeds in HWinfo64/HWMonitor/Ryzen master
Thank you.

Yes, the last Bios i was using that i was able to get 5.75Ghz Boosts was 0611, it and 0703 was downloaded from the official site.

Me Specifications

RAM: 2x 16Gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 6000 - CMT32GC5M2X6000C36 (Kit Name)
Graphics Card: Asus TUf 4090 OC (previous was a Asus TUf 3080Ti the problem exists with both cards)
PSU: CORSAIR HX1000
OS Drive: WD SN850X 2Tb

GPU Driver Version: 522.25 (previously 517.48 when using the 3080Ti)

OS Version: Windows 10 21H2 (OS Build 19044.2130)

To add further fuel to the fire, I have reverted to an earlier beta BIOS from the official site which is no longer there now - 0614

I have enabled DOCP and PBO (in the AMD overclocking menu) but it wouldn't boot with my previous settings of PBO limits- Motherboard and Curve Optimiser = -30 all cores, so i set the PBO Limits to Auto and a more conservative -15 all core and it boots fine and here is a shot of my core behaviour in HWInfo:

This is during a single core test of Cinebench 23.

Something about the cores locked in step like HWinfo is showing doesn't seem right so i am not sure if thats some sort of reporting error, but here is a comperable screen grab for ryzen master during another single core test:

I think I also experienced a similar problem. I was not able to do proper benchmarks on the old BIOS, but after updating to the 0705 I noticed a suspicious 5500MHz clock on all cores. On rare occasions in consistent single-thread workloads, I see core 0 boosting to 5700/5750, but approximately for only one second, after which it stays at 5500MHz again. I have stock BIOS settings except having PBO enabled and memory set to DOCP 2 profile (6000MTs). If it is helpful I can share more info, but I think Soupladel nailed it already.