cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G731GV keyboard stopped working

DNT99
Level 7
Hi all,

For 2,5 years now I have a ROG Strix G731GV which I mainly use at home for office and Youtube, sometimes I play "7 days to die" but it has noticed me that the game is playing with hitches more and more, I also can't play on highest settings anymore.
There are moments it plays fine but in 50% of the time it just stutters and is inplayable.

Since I mainly use the laptop at home I have an external keyboard and mouse (which do work) and don't use the laptop keyboard, but 2 weeks ago I needed the laptop at work outside of home, and then I found out the complete keyboard doesn't work anymore, the only button that still works is the power button, also the lighting on the keyboard doesn't work anymore.
There is no error message or anything and the device manager says the keyboard is working fine.
Keyboard troubleshooter gives 0 problems.

There is an usb error tho for a device it can't recognice, but there is no usb device connected which doesn't work, deleting the device doesn't work, it keeps coming back.:

Port_#0008.Hub_#0002

Dit apparaat is gestopt omdat er problemen zijn gerapporteerd. (Code 43)

A request for the USB device descriptor failed.

Device USB\VID_0000&PID_0002\5&7d4680e&0&8 was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match.

Last Device Instance Id: USB\VID_0502&PID_337C\20504482715
Class Guid: {36fc9e60-c465-11cf-8056-444553540000}
Location Path:
Migration Rank: 0xF000FFFFFFFFF130
Present: false

I tried several things indicated on for instance this website, except for restoring/resetting my laptop because I don't really want to risk losing data..
I don't know when the keyboard stopped working so I also don't to which restoring point to go back to...

Has anyone have this before and have a solution?
2 REPLIES 2

xeromist
The easiest way to test the keyboard would be to try to enter the BIOS. If you are able to get in and use the keyboard to move around then you know it is a Windows issue. If it doesn't work then it is a hardware issue. A slightly more thorough test would be to boot from a Linux or Chrome live USB stick. That would allow you to load an operating system without touching Windows and have a secondary test environment.

The stutters and lower performance may be due to overheating. Over time the thermal paste can get dry and less effective. If you feel comfortable with the task, taking it apart and applying fresh thermal paste may help. If you do decide to do that then it would be a good time to inspect the keyboard cables to see if anything has been disconnected, pinched, or damaged.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Thank you for the reply.

Somewhere I could have known to try to go into the bios before asking 😉
I did, the keyboard worked, quit without saving and the keyboard also works again in Windows...weird.. :confused:

Maybe I will try and put new thermal paste onto the gpu.
What temperature should be normal of the rtx2060's mobile gpu and the cpu while playing a game (like 7 days to die)?