cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

z690 Formula - Detect memory

axiumone
Level 11

I've had this board since launch. In the begining, I had it with 4x16GB sticks from two corsair kits and with early bios revisions that was a nightmare. Fine, I've sold the kits and switched to a single 64GB kit. I was hoping for plug and play. Just XMP is enabled.

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Memory/DOMINATOR-PLATINUM-RGB-DDR5-Memory---White/...

I need stability out of this rig, and I'm having two big issues. Every couple of reboots, I'll get stuck on memory detect while booting. I'll have to power cycle and it'll kick me to bios saying it couldn't boot, I'll go into bios and without changing anything, it'll keep working for another couple of boots. The other issue is win 11 refuses to wake from sleep. Instead of waking the system, it will reboot. Bios is 2004

Current bios settings -

33 REPLIES 33

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Hello,

You'll need to tune the system. You can try using XMP II as this is the default DIMM profile with slightly loser memory subsets.

Try bumping VCCSA (CPU System Agent). 1.05 - 1.15v
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Hi,

You seem knowledgeable!! 🙂

I have a related question, I had 2x 16GB, 5600Hz in my Z690 extreme, XMP on working fine in my system. Due to the flight sim I played I wanted to go to 64GB. knowing the issues with 4 x 16GB, I bought 2 x 32GB, 6000Mhz.

Old and new setup were both corsair dominator memory.

After setting XMP to auto, I exchanged the memory. I immidiatly noted that booting was slow, real slow (minutes). I know about the memory training so I let it go for a few boots but it did not improve.

Now I noticed that when booting up it says detect memory, some codes come by, then CPU, also some codes and then this repeats itself a few times and finally it will boot into windows.

Any suggestions on what I can do?

Cooler Master Silent Pro Hybrid 1300W ATX
Asus ROG Maximus Z690 Extreme
Intel Core i9-12.900k
ROG Ryujin 360
Corsair DDR5 Dominator Platinum RGB 2x32GB 5600Mhz
Samsung 980 PRO 2TB M.2 SSD (2x)
Seagate Firecuda 1TB
ROG RTX3080-O10G-Gaming
Monitor 1: ROG STRIX XG349C
Monitor 2: Samsung HDTV T27D590
ROG Claymore
ROG Spatha X
ROG Balteus Qi
Windows 11
😉

axiumone
Level 11
XMP I or II produce the same results. As you can see in the screenshots, MC voltage is already at 1.25. How much more can I safely raise it? I’ll try raising VCCSA. *

This is a pretty slow ram kit. Why does this require tuning besides turning on xmp?

Edit - Raising VCCSA to 1.15 seems to have helped. System wakes from sleep as expected and no memory detect after a couple of reboots. Thanks!

axiumone
Level 11
Nothing changed in voltages or system config. Now it's back to restarting when waking from sleep.

axiumone
Level 11
Tried VCCSA voltages from 1.1-1.4, no affect.
Tried setting the speed to 4800mhz, no affect.
Updated bios from 2004 to 2103, no affect.
Tried slots A1-B1, system wouldn't even post at anything above 4000mhz.

The system just reboots instead of waking from sleep.

Running memtest right now. It looks like the memory is not defective, so it must be the motherboard or bios.

Why is it that a set that is on the QVL list for this board doesn't work with just XMP settings?
Why aren't the settings posted that the set was used with for QVL testing?
Is the motherboard defective?

axiumone
Level 11
Asus? Anyone? My workflow changed and it's imperative that this motherboard restarts and wakes from sleep without fault. Between the PG42UQ having massive issues with firmware and this motherboard having huge issues with networking and now this memory problem, that's over $2000 usd tied up in faulty asus products.

I have 2x16GB Corsair 5200 sticks in a 690 Hero. They are the non RGB sticks. They run at 5200 with XMPI just fine. Never had a stability problem with them and just about all of my other mobo settings are on defaults.

If it helps, I have taken a screenshot of my memory voltages from HWInfo below. Also, in CPU-Z I get exactly the same timings as you. The only difference is that mine says 32GB, yours says 64GB. Otherwise identical. I was going to suggest 2103 BIOS as I've seen no complaints about that version, but you have already done it.

You say you have a 64GB kit. Is that 2x32GB or 4x16GB? If the latter, have you tried just 2 sticks instead of 4? Maybe see if that helps stability for now?

The columns in the screenshot are current, min, max and average
Z690 Hero, BIOS 3401, MEI 2345.5.3.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.

I have similar issue that related to RAM and memory detect issue with frequent crash during gaming or stress or sometimes not posting and showing memory detect

axiumone wrote:
Asus? Anyone? My workflow changed and it's imperative that this motherboard restarts and wakes from sleep without fault. Between the PG42UQ having massive issues with firmware and this motherboard having huge issues with networking and now this memory problem, that's over $2000 usd tied up in faulty asus products.

Try raising VDD and VDDQ to 1.30 - 1.35v.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090