cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Strix Scope RX not lighting up and functioning

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
So I recently attended PAX Aus and purchased a ROG Strix Scope RX keyboard. I connected it Monday evening and it worked great, early Tuesday I was asked to Install Armoury Crate so I did. I installed it, updated Armoury Crate and sometime later, I was informed of a Firmware update for the keyboard. I updated the Firmware and the keyboard was functioning normally. fast forward to Wednesday evening, I got Home and noticed the RGB lighting was flickering constantly, so I unplugged the keyboard and reconnected it to the USB 2.0 ports on my motherboard and it stopped lighting up and functioning.

I have uninstalled Armoury Crate using the uninstall tool and reinstalled multiple times, the full install package always fails to install with an error about my internet connection - even when I was testing that simultaneously to ensure there were no connection issues. But I can Install it with the install tool.

Windows detects there is a keyboard and it is working normally, and just recently before making this post, I decided to connect a USB Flash drive I have to the keyboard's USB 2.0 pass through port and the flash drive was recognized and I was able to access it.

I also did do a Windows update a while after performing the Firmware Update(Tuesday) and this doesn't seem to be the cause as the keyboard was functioning up until Wednesday night.

System Specs
ROG Rampage IV Formula
3930K - stock speeds - no overclocking
32GB DDR3 @ 1866MHz
Windows 10 Pro
21H2
Build 19044.2130
18 REPLIES 18

Nate152
Hello Myk SilentShadow,

I've got the internet connection failed when installing Armoury Crate and was due to a slightly unstable pc. Since you're not overclocking, try installing Armoury Crate with your ram at default settings.

You can try resetting your ROG Strix Scope by pressing and holding the Fn + ESC keys for 10-15 seconds.

Nate152 wrote:
Hello Myk SilentShadow,

I've got the internet connection failed when installing Armoury Crate and was due to a slightly unstable pc. Since you're not overclocking, try installing Armoury Crate with your ram at default settings.

You can try resetting your ROG Strix Scope by pressing and holding the Fn + ESC keys for 10-15 seconds.

Jeez it takes forever to install Armoury Crate, anyway I am still unable to install the full software package, I did set my RAM to 800MHz as that's as default as it gets, still had the same issue. I can install it using the small installer tool, but cannot choose what hardware I am trying to use.

Oh and the Fn+Esc keys to reset the keyboard didn't work.

Nate152
Ok, I find it a little puzzling your ROG Strix Scope RX didn't reset with the Fn + ESC key.

I install Armoury Crate version 3.2.3.0 (Armoury Crate + Aura Creator Installer) then check for updates at the update center.

The latest version of Armoury Crate is 5.3.4.0.

Are you able to select your hardware from the Device list and Aura Sync with Sync Devices?

Your devices will sync with your motherboard.

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Ok, so I don't have that version you used for install, it's not currently on the asus.com website under the downloads section. I can only download the current version.

As you can see in this screenshot, no hardware comes up on the left side. There is no longer a "devices" section.

Currently have the latest installed

It cannot detect any devices if you can see the "watermark" style saying there are no devices to sync.

Nate152
Try the link below, it's from the ASUS Support Center, the first download should be Armoury Crate version 3.2.3.0.

Select your operating system.

https://www.asus.com/supportonly/Armoury%20Crate/HelpDesk_Download/

Click show all in blue, the uninstall tool is the third download, use the uninstall tool then install version 3.2.3.0, then check for updates at the update center.

How does this go?

Well this is really weird, I ran the 3.2.3.0 installer and it auto-updated to the latest version without my intervention. No change with the keyboard, Fn+Esc doesn't reset, it's not detecting my keyboard 😕

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Yeah I found it via the asus.com/au/ site, ran uninstaller and now running 3.2 installer, will reply when I get it going

Nate152
Ok, good luck.

Quick question, is your ROG Strix Scope RX showing in Device Manager?

It should show under "Mice and other pointing devices".

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15

I'm not sure if it was any different when the keyboard was actually working properly, but it's not listed properly by name, just standard device name