cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

B660-I: Performance drop with voltage offset/undervolting

Shosiu
Level 8
Hi,
This issue has been initially described in another thread but I decided to start a separate one.
I noticed on my B660-I Gaming, that any negative voltage offset causes noticeable negative performance impact.
As the example - results of Cinebench R23 (multithreaded)
stock settings: 12700 points
0.05 voltage offset: 12200 points
0.08 voltage offset: 7100 points.

This issue is not present on other Asus B660 motherboards - it's working properly on B660M Plus.
It doesn't matter if APE is enabled or not - CPU performance is affected.

My CPU is i5 12500.

It would be good, if someone from Asus tech team compares the behavior of those two motherbaords and make a fix for B660-I as currently undervolting on this motherboard doesn't work at all.

Thanks.
95 REPLIES 95

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi Shosiu,
We will check it with our tech team again.
Thank you.

trihy
Level 9
I saw other users with that problem and that board. Looks like tdp gets halved as soon as you apply offset.

If you run other benchmarks does the same?

Shosiu
Level 8
For sure, CPU-Z benchmark was affected as well. I can paste some screenshots later on today.

trihy
Level 9
Great. I´ll post mines if needed. Im using -0.100 offset on Actual VRM core voltage and didnt have any change on scores on B660M Plus.

Shosiu
Level 8
Here are my results from CPU-Z benchmark:
stock:

0.03 offset:

0.05 offset:

0.08 offset:

trihy
Level 9
That is so wrong. Tech team should locate the problem easily

Let's see what they say.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi Shosiu,
Our tech team confirmed the results are expected. They tested ROG STRIX B660-I GAMING WIFI and TUF GAMING B660M-PLUS WIFI motherboards and the results are the same. The points are getting lower with voltage offset(undervolting), as CPU performance will be affected by voltage.
Also, CPU clock is an indictor of performance, but cannot fully represent CPU performance.
Thank you.

Shosiu
Level 8
Hi trihy,
May I ask you to paste your results, stock and with undervolting?
Thanks.
I can't believe, that cpu performance is affected so heavily by such small undervolting.

trihy
Level 9
Hi. Sure. Im doing Cinebench R23 with -0.020 to -0.120v voltage offset.

Will post results later.