cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus strix 4090 14 days of crashing

ransom1122
Level 7
Hi

I have an Asus strix 4090 OC 24GB which keeps crashing and causing black screen flashes in windows and in games.

I have the latest Intel cpu, 64gb ram 3600, msi atx 3.0 PSU, my previous 3090 worked perfectly. But for 14 days my 4090 keeps crashing

I have been talking with nvidia for about a week and any change I do to my pc has no effect.

All my bios are up to date including the 4090p bios, I have used ddu uninstall previous driver and re installed 522.25 fresh..

I am seriously lost for words and I do believe my card may be faulty..

Where do I go from here, is my case worthy of help or do I need to RMA this brand new 4090?
12 REPLIES 12

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi ransom1122,
May I have the model name of your motherboard?
If it is our model, please also share me the bios version and bios settings.
If there is another PCIEX16 slot, please try another one and if you use a riser cable, please try direct connection.
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi ransom1122,
May I have the model name of your motherboard?
If it is our model, please also share me the bios version and bios settings.
If there is another PCIEX16 slot, please try another one and if you use a riser cable, please try direct connection.
Thank you.

Z590 AUROS PRO AX
Bios F9a

Bios used is load with defaults. But I have tried many different configurations all resulting with no change in crashing...

MSI 1000W ATX 3.0 PSU

. I updated my Motherboard BIOS to F9a.
... I rebooted into SAFE MODE and used DDU to uninstall Gefore Driver.
... I rebooted using SAFE MODE and Installed Geforce 522.25 Driver (522.25-desktop-win10-win11-64bit-international-dch-whql.exe)
... I rebooted into Windows in Normal Mode and Installed Geforce Experience (GeForce_Experience_v3.26.0.154.exe)

I tried a few games and I still am getting crashes with no Windows Error Messages only quits to desktop...

Also games that use HDR Like Watch Dgos Legion. When I launch it with my 4090, HDR does not Auto enable like it used to with my previous 3090?

Things I have tried...

... Enabling "High Power Performance Mode" in NVidia 3D Settings
... With BIOS Enabling XMP
... With BIOS With XMP Enabled I tried System Memory Multiplier From [Auto] to [DDR4-3600]
... With BIOS With XMP Enabled I tried DRAM Voltage (CH A/B) From [Auto] to [1.380V]
... With BIOS With XMP Enabled I tried tRC From [Auto] to [56]
... I tried my stable method which worked wirh I had my 3090 by Disabling XMP (Which defaults ram to 2300Mhz)

None of the above fixes the problem of crashing...

Games I have Tried...

Watch Dogs Legion > Crashes back to desktop with no error message anywhere from 1 Minute to 3 Minutes
Forza Horzinon 5 > Crashes back to desktop with no error message anywhere from 1 Minute to 3 Minutes
Forza Horizon 4 > Crashes back to desktop with no error message anywhere from 1 Minute to 3 Minutes

Windows on its own seems to self switch into another mode resulting in a freeze/pause black screen randomly about 5 time in 10mins approx

There is only 1 PCIEX16 slot on the board and everything is connected securely with the supplied 16pin power cable

I have tried the latest driver and still get the same crashing with gpu scheduling enabled or disabled.

It seems as though it's random crashes in games.

Windows still flashes black screens and has a freeze on the mouse at the same time for a second or two occasionally

Here is a photo of my 4090 card.. It is connected tightly and the power pin is in firmly. Not sure if the slight bend is an issue?

if not I'm not sure why it's still crashing. I am starting to believe I have a faulty 4090 gpu

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi ransom1122,
Do you have another motherboard to cross check if it still keeps crashing?
If you don't have another motherboard or the issue is the same, please send the card to our RMA for further examination.
Thank you.

No I don't unfortunately

My 3090 Works on my system the 4090 doesn't 😞

Can you please give me the indtructions and links for RMA access in Australia?

I will wait a few more days from Nvidia in case they can fix my issues before I endevour an RMA

Hi,

I have got some information on the issue I was facing with my asus strix 4090 oc.

My nephew has the same card that was purchased from the same shop I purchased from.

He brang his asus strix 4090 oc to test on my PC and it worked perfectly.

No issues at all.
No crashes.
Everything worked for butter smooth.
Geforce Driver 526.47 Works fine

I re plugged my strix 4090 and it keeps crashing again.

Im concluding that my asus strix 4090 oc has always been dead on arrival.
I will be contacting my retailer and asking for a replacement as soon as possible..

As far as I'm concerned this matter needs to be closed. For all other people experiencing very similar issues to me may be because of a bad batch of 4090's and nothing to do with windows,bios and software changes.

Nvidia has informed me to ask you if there is any diagnostic tool to check the hardware functionality of the card?

Thanks

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi ransom1122,
Sorry we don't have any diagnostic tool to let customers to diagnose it on their own.
If you need to check the hardware functionality, please send the card to our RMA for further examination.
Thank you.