cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

B660-I: Will a 13th Gen CPU boot without a prior BIOS update?

roganaut
Level 8
Hi,

considering upgrade varieties I wonder if a 13th generation CPU will boot on a factory-fresh B660-I motherboard.
So will it start into the BIOS menu or will it not post at all?

As there is no BIOS flashback button present is the installation of a 12th generation CPU mandatory beforehand to run a 13th CPU?

Thank you in advance

roganaut
3 REPLIES 3

Zinthar
Level 7
To boost this thread and perhaps add another question that someone who hasn't recently purchased this board may be able to answer: do newly-manufactured Asus motherboards ship with the latest release BIOS at the time they're produced? For the B660-I, BIOS version 1620 was released on 8/16/2022 and supports Raptor Lake processors. Could we reasonably expect that a board manufactured after that date to ship with that BIOS version?

If so, then I suppose it becomes a matter of how many weeks of inventory are in the channel to figure out how likely it is that a newly-purchased board was made in September or October.Â*

I'm happy to be corrected, but I don't think you can get into the BIOS without a CPU. However (if you had the flashback feature) then you can update the BIOS that way without a CPU.

To run a 13th gen CPU you will need BIOS 2004 or later (or the equivalents for your board). So, I think it's true to say that if the BIOS is older than 2004, then you will need a 12th gen CPU to access the BIOS and update it that way.
Z690 Hero, BIOS 3401, MEI 2406.5.5.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.

Sineira1
Level 9
You can't get into BIOS without working CPU and RAM. It must pass POST.

And yes you will most likely need a BIOS upgrade for a 13th gen CPU.
Use the BIOS upgrade slot on the back.
It can be a bit tricky to get the USB formatted the correct way.
Follow this instruction:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdX6qxRRodM