cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use Asus Ryujin II 360 with out armory crate

ebrahimtavasoli
Level 7
Hi
I have Asus Ryujin II 360 and I want to use Linux, Are there any way to control the pump and fans speed without the armory crate or to AIO pins directly?
3 REPLIES 3

Murph_9000
Level 14
You don't have to connect the radiator fans to the Ryujin's fan hub. You can connect them to a standard motherboard fan header. Check the fan ratings to be certain, but the 2 or 3 radiator fans should be well under 1A, so can be run from a single header on most motherboards. That should let you use the BIOS fan control, or possibly a Linux daemon (if there's a suitable one for your motherboard's fan controller).

Pump speed is a different thing, but you may be able to get away with just letting the Ryujin's default curve manage it. Water has a huge heat capacity, so you don't really need massive flow unless you are trying to do something more extreme.

I do wish ASUS would just publish the technical details for the USB control protocols, or provide some sort of SDK, but they don't seem to like doing that (same as pretty much all the other major brands, unfortunately). They make their money from the hardware sales, it just seems ridiculous to keep the software control so closed/secret.

F1Aussie
Level 11
I think you still need to use the hub though to connect the pump too though right? I think it has a usb c connector on it that will only connect to the hub?

F1Aussie wrote:
I think you still need to use the hub though to connect the pump too though right? I think it has a usb c connector on it that will only connect to the hub?

It's not clear to me whether the pump is powered from the USB or the fan hub. The CPU block connects directly to a motherboard USB 2.0 header, so there's some power available there; and there's the second USB that goes over to the fan hub. I don't particularly want to test it myself, as I actually use the hub for my radiator fans, but it should be safe enough to test the behaviour with the hub disconnected. The thermal mass of the block and water in the loop should be sufficient to prevent CPU damage when just booting and idling the system, to see if the pump does take power from the motherboard USB.