ROG Member Array

Question Strange issue with ROG Crosshair VIII Formula

Hi, looking for some advice. I have a ROG Crosshair VIII Formula board with an AMD 5900X, 64GB GSkill Ram.
    WIth normal running and gaming it runs fine, no issues.
    However I reboot, and now it will not boot, I get the post screen and the spinning circle, but the circle will usually just freeze or go on forever.
    It does not matter what I try booting off of, M.2, SSD, USB Stick, they all do the same thing.
    I have changed video cards, swapped RAM, removed everything other than monitor and KB and just tried booting off USB drives, but same issue.
    This happened once before a couple of months back, but I just reset it a couple of times and it came back fine and would restart fine.

It sounds like a bad board but wanted to check if anyone came across something like this. I could not find anything similar when I searched for the issue.

Thanks

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array Murph_9000 PC Specs
    Murph_9000 PC Specs
    MotherboardROG Crosshair VIII Extreme
    ProcessorAMD Ryzen 5950X
    Memory (part number)Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 CL16 (BL16G36C16U4B.M16FE1)
    Graphics Card #1ROG Strix Radeon™ RX 6750 XT OC Edition 12GB GDDR6
    MonitorROG Strix XG43UQ, XG27AQM
    Storage #1Seagate FireCuda 530
    CPU CoolerROG Ryujin II 360
    CaseROG Strix Helios
    Power SupplyROG Thor 1200W Platinum
    Keyboard ROG Strix Scope RX, ROG Claymore II
    Mouse ROG Keris Wireless, ROG Chakram X
    Headset ROG Delta S
    Mouse Pad ROG Scabbard II
    OS Windows 11 Pro
    Network RouterROG Rapture GT-AX6000
    Accessory #1 ROG Eye S
    Accessory #2 ROG Strix Magnus
    Accessory #3 LINKUP Ultra PCIe 4.0 x16 Riser Cable - Right Angle - 20cm

It could be a too aggressive overclock of CPU or memory. Try a CMOS reset followed by "load optimised defaults". Also, try a single stick of RAM; check the manual to be certain of the correct slot, but it's probably B2. If that works, try 2 sticks (should be A2, and B2; check the manual). Running 4 sticks of memory with OC is harder than 2, if you're on 4x16, so could be you need to slacken the timings or reduce the clock to get close to the OC rating with stability. Even if it was working fine in the past, silicon ages; so previous CPU & memory OC that was just within stability can become unstable over time. It's not the recommended config, but you could also try single stick in A2, if B2 fails; in case the failure is channel B.

If it's still a problem on optimised defaults and single stick, with known good boot media, something has failed (probably the board or CPU, if you've swapped out everything else and tried the simplest possible configs without OC).

ROG Guru: Brown Belt Array gupsterg PC Specs
    gupsterg PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Maximus VII Ranger
    Processori5 4690K
    Memory (part number)HyperX Savage 2400MHz 16GB
    Graphics Card #1Sapphire R9 Fury X (1145/545 Custom ROM)
    MonitorAsus MG279Q
    Storage #1Samsung 840 Evo 250GB
    Storage #2HGST 2TB
    CPU CoolerThermalRight Archon SB-E X2
    CaseSilverstone Temjin 06
    Power SupplyCooler Master V850
    Headset/Speakers HyperX Cloud
    OS Win 7 Pro x64 / Win 10 Pro x64

Quote Originally Posted by Phunction View Post
    Hi, looking for some advice. I have a ROG Crosshair VIII Formula board with an AMD 5900X, 64GB GSkill Ram.
    WIth normal running and gaming it runs fine, no issues.
    However I reboot, and now it will not boot, I get the post screen and the spinning circle, but the circle will usually just freeze or go on forever.
    It does not matter what I try booting off of, M.2, SSD, USB Stick, they all do the same thing.
    I have changed video cards, swapped RAM, removed everything other than monitor and KB and just tried booting off USB drives, but same issue.
    This happened once before a couple of months back, but I just reset it a couple of times and it came back fine and would restart fine.

It sounds like a bad board but wanted to check if anyone came across something like this. I could not find anything similar when I searched for the issue.

Thanks
    If your 64GB is via 4 sticks you may need to set some settings manually to get system to behave. If it's 2 sticks you may still needs some manual settings depending on what MHz/timings your using.

In UEFI on Tool menu you'll find load/save profile to USB, press CTRL+F2 and you'll gain all settings as a TXT file, share the file and perhaps someone can comment to help you.
    Intel Defector AMD Rebel

R9 5900X - Custom WC - ASUS Crosshair VII Hero WiFi - Ballistix Sport LT 2x16GB 3800MHz C16 - RX 6800 XT - WD SN770 2TB - 2x 870 EVO 4TB

24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
    Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 ~17.7K GS 3DM FS)

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Murph_9000 View Post
    It could be a too aggressive overclock of CPU or memory. Try a CMOS reset followed by "load optimised defaults". Also, try a single stick of RAM; check the manual to be certain of the correct slot, but it's probably B2. If that works, try 2 sticks (should be A2, and B2; check the manual). Running 4 sticks of memory with OC is harder than 2, if you're on 4x16, so could be you need to slacken the timings or reduce the clock to get close to the OC rating with stability. Even if it was working fine in the past, silicon ages; so previous CPU & memory OC that was just within stability can become unstable over time. It's not the recommended config, but you could also try single stick in A2, if B2 fails; in case the failure is channel B.

If it's still a problem on optimised defaults and single stick, with known good boot media, something has failed (probably the board or CPU, if you've swapped out everything else and tried the simplest possible configs without OC).
    I did not overclock anything and did the bios reset. Strange that it would operate without issue, but then decide not to boot.

ROG Member Array

Cpu

I think it may be the CPU, I swapped boards today with a new one, and same issue. The only thing left is the CPU?
    I don't think it would be the power supply, the issue happens at exactly the same point when booting, sounds more like a certain system call of some kind during the boot process is killing the system.

ROG Enthusiast Array J Bish PC Specs
    J Bish PC Specs
    MotherboardCrosshair VIII Formula
    ProcessorAMD Ryzen 5950x
    Memory (part number)64gb KHX3600C18D4
    Graphics Card #1XFX 5600XT Thicc II Pro 6GB Boost
    Graphics Card #2XFX 5600XT Thicc II Pro 6GB Boost
    Sound CardCreative A-E5
    MonitorProArt PA329CV
    Storage #1WD SN850X 1TB
    Storage #2WD Black Sata 6gb
    Keyboard Logitech k750 Solar Wireless
    Mouse Logitech Trackball
    Headset/Speakers Logitech Z906 5.1 1000WT
    OS Windows 11 (All Current)

Any qcode errors?

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by J Bish View Post
    Any qcode errors?
    No errors, it was the CPU as I replaced it and it started working.
    I found that it would crash at the point where it would normally start the graphics setting, as in you see the wheel, then all the monitors come on and you get the desktop. I think somehow the GPU on the AMD chip may have been interfering? Who knows, at least it is on warranty.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

In your original post you said your CPU is an AMX Ryzen 5900X. The 5900X does not have an integrated GPU (iGPU) so whatever your problem was, it wasn't that.