cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Optical S/PDIF on ROG Maximus Z790 Hero

Arioch888
Level 7
Hello,

I am looking towards putting a ROG Maximus Z790 Hero in a new build and want to know if the Optical S/PDIF will output 5.1 sound? I have an older home theater system that I have been previously connecting to a SB X-FI card via an optical digital cable in my old PC. I would prefer to not have to purchase a new sound card if I don't have to....Thanks!
18 REPLIES 18

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi Arioch888,
If your audio file is 5.1 sound and the music player app you use also supports 5.1 sound, the Optical S/PDIF can output 5.1 sound.
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi Arioch888,
If your audio file is 5.1 sound and the music player app you use also supports 5.1 sound, the Optical S/PDIF can output 5.1 sound.
Thank you.

Thank you for the reply!

I guess I am specifically referring to games where I set the sound properties in Windows to SPDIF and 5.1 for my current SB card.

Having a similar problem. On the Asus website, the ROG Maximus Z790 Hero sports: "Immersive Audio: ROG SupremeFX ALC4082 codec with ESS® ES9218 Quad DAC for up to 32-Bit/384 kHz playback" However, in Windows 10 64 bit with the most recent Realtek audio driver (driver "Version 6.3.9600.2342 2022/11/10 567.84 MBytes: Realtek USB Audio Driver V6.3.9600.2342 For Windows 10/11 64-bit. Support SS3CNTS+DTSS Models") there is only option for output to 2 channel audio and 48000khz output via optical out. 32 bit 384kbs is not even an option on the RealTek Driver. This is plugging the optical output into the same optical audio input on my receiver that my previous Maximus Hero VIII motherboard used to output 5.1 channel sound using Windows 10.

Please offer a hotfix or insights?

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi omeaux,
Does the music player app support output 5.1and your audio file is also 5.1 sound?
Thank you.

omeaux
Level 7
I think there may be a misunderstanding. I'm not specifically talking about a music app. Most music doesn't record in 5.1, to my understanding. However, this has to do with Realtek's audio driver and formats not being visible in the default format sound settings through Windows 10. There is no format for 384 khz playback. There is no option for 5.1. The default sound formats from Windows Realtek Digital Output sound settings do not go past 2 channel, 24 bit, 192 khz as listed above. However, the actual test sounds only allow 48 khz. So it is not a music app or a music file that is the problem. My issue is with the default sound format not recognizing or even coming close to outputting the advertised sound quality on the ROG website. This is contrary to the performance of the ROG Maximus Hero VIII motherboard previously owned that did allow 5.1 output and 192 khz output via digital optical out. Furthermore, I'm unsure as to why there was a change with such an expensive board and why there is an advertised sound quality on the ROG site that is not supported by the most recent drivers. What can be done?

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi omeaux,
May I have the following information?
- the serial number of your two motherboards via pm
- the bios version and bios settings(Is it the same with bios all default settings? on OC and no XMP)
- the brand and the model name of your CPU, RAM, graphics card, PSU, OS drive and receiver/speakers
(Please check the specific ram model name like CORSAIR CMT64GX5M2X5600C40(Ver5.43.13).
- OS version and OS build
- Intel ME version
Thank you.

omeaux
Level 7
Serial Number of two motherboards sent via PM:

Bios Version is American Megatrends 0703, 11/1/2022ROG-MAXIMUS-Z790-HERO-ASUS-0703 all default settings, no overclocking

Processor: 13th Gen Intel(R) Core (™) i9-13900k,. 3000mhz, 24 core(s), 32 Logical Processor(s)

Ram: CORSAIR Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000 (PC5 48000) Desktop Memory Model CMT32GX5M2X6000C36

Graphics Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC2 HYBRID GAMING, 11G-P4-6598-KR, 11GB GDDR5X, HYBRID & LED

PSU: Corsair HX1200i

Receiver: Denon AVR-3806, speakers in 5.1 configuration without issue from other sources. Input: Optical #2, setting audio source: auto

OS Version: Windows Pro 10.0.19045 Build 19045

Intel ME Version 16.1.25.2020_T

DxBang
Level 7
I have the same issue with a ROG Strix X570-E Gaming using Realtek, also it keeps installing Sonic Suite which still isn't working.

Also using Optical S/PDIF and it is only showing "Jack Information" "L R Rear Panel Optical Jack"

I am currently using the Realtek Audio Driver V6.0.9411.1

DxBang
Level 7
I don't know why it is like this,... but if I go to Sound Properties for the Real Digital Output it will only show up as a "Stereo" device, but testing DTS Audio and Dolby Digital it does play on all 5.1 channels. Microsoft WMA Pro Audio is failing tho.