cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2021 Asus Tuf Dash F15 (FX516PM) - RAM Upgrade

Bodom
Level 7
Hi guys,

I didn't find anything useful searching and I'm not sure if CPU-Z can tell anything useful about this.

I'm about to order a 16GB stick to get 32GB total.

My FX516PM comes out originally with 16GB.

The question is: is the out of the factory 16GB served as soldered single channel, meaning once I open the laptop I will be finding a free SODIMM slot OR 8GB is soldered and 8GB is right there in the slot?

I heard somebody had the laptop shipped with 8GB soldered + 8GB in the slot.

In the case I won't be able to do 16GB soldered + 16GB SODIMM, what would be the cons?

Thanks for your support
7 REPLIES 7

soulburn74
Level 9
Mine was 8 onboard and 8 on a sodimm. FX516PM-211.TF15.11 is my exact model name. I replaced the 8gb sodimm with something larger. I went with 32GB even though not officially supported, as I had one laying around from prior laptop, and it worked. so I have a weird sized 40GB of ram available. I haven't verified , this might be making the ram run in single channel mode, with a possible small performance hit for doing so (for not having same size ram for onboard + Sodimm). If someone who reads this can confirm, or showing a way to verify, would ge great.

Hi, which ram are you using? 

Does it still work good? I have the same model and I want upgrade my ram too. 

sorry for the late response, I don't check here very often.  The So-Dimm I purchased was from G.Skill. again I must stress that running in this configuration is not supported, but for me on my FX516PM, its worked fine. Use at your own risk..... it gives you an 'odd' amount of memory total, because of the 8+32 config: 40GB.

G.Skill Model No: F4-3200C22S-32GRS

Hi, it's ok, and thank you for your answer. 

I already bought the ram, which is G.skill as well and it works perfectly for me too😃

cmachado
Level 7

Hi,

What is the bios version, that you have? 

Thank you

When I bought the laptop  it was v.322 (the ram upgrade was done with this version). I have since upgraded to 330, and still working fine.

cmachado
Level 7

Thank you. I am going to try