cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strix LCII 240ARGB cooler with Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus

BJBBJB
Level 7
Greetings. I am looking at a new build that I am helping someone with that will have an i7 or i9 Raptor Lake CPU. I realize an AIO would be preferred so was looking at all the options. The case will only support a 240mm or 280mm two fan CPU cooler.

Looking at that particular motherboard for at least DDR5 compatablity, don't see the need for a Z790 MB.

Anyway my question is on the Strix cooler. I cannot really find it showing up in any reviews or "best of" lists so was just curious how this stacks up to some of those that are listed as it relates to noise and cooling. I did find like one review that was a while ago.

Not really looking to overclock, more of just keeping CPU cool under heavy gaming and use.

Am okay going with another option but thought it would be "cool" to keep the build all ASUS, although the price is high. Others that show up are ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 240 A-RG (no RGB), NZXT Kraken X53, Corsair iCUE H100i Elite Capeelix for low noise.... I also would prefer to have the LG1700 come with the unit vs. having to hunt down a special separate order bracket.

Thanks for the help! Been a while since looking at this stuff.
BJBBJB
19 REPLIES 19

Nate152
Hello BJBBJB,

According to to the tech specs, the ROG Strix 240 LC II ARGB is compatible with socket 1700 and comes with mounting brackets. You shouldn't have to hunt down any mounting brackets.

You'll be fine with the ROG Strix LC II 240 ARGB cpu cooler. Since you're not overclocking, you can probably set a lower voltage to help get temps even lower.

Using a better thermal paste can help get you a few degrees lower, I prefer Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, there are some other good options too.

BJBBJB
Level 7
Thanks. Now I see there is a ASUS ROG Strix LC II 280 ARGB and a
ASUS TUF Gaming LC 240 ARGB. All say they come with brackets but the newegg listing for the ASUS ROG Strix LC II 280 ARGB does not list socket 1700 compatability. Although it says it can be installed on Z690 Asus motherboards.....but I assume that is with the alternative holes.

Can't figure out the differences between these three choices. Need to do more research. This thread said their ASUS ROG Strix LC II 280 ARGB did not come with the mounting brackets...
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?126842-STRIX-LC-II-280-Installation-LGA-1700
Thanks again,
BJBBJB

Nate152
I think you are correct, the ROG Strix LC II 280 ARGB would probably mount with the socket 1200 holes.

Thanks again. Always great help on this forum.

Am I correct that from a contact and mounting position standpoint it would be better to have the LGA1700 bracket vs. using the 1200 holes?

To try to bring closure to this I spent about 45 minutes on the line with Asus support.......just trying to get the definitive answer to whether the ROG Strix LC II 240 ARGB have the LGA1700 bracket in the box. Even if I bought from Asus store direct I could not get a guarantee it was in the box. I was told that "second generation" CPU coolers had them, but they were unclear if that met the I vs. II versions of these or based on manufacturer date.

This article implies that at least after August 2021 newer CPU cooler manufactured product should include them:
https://www.tweaktown.com/news/81113/asus-rog-strix-lc-ii-cooler-has-lga1700-bracket-for-intels-new-...

So I tried to just put in a request for a 1700 bracket in case it was no in there and was told that I needed the serial number of the cooler and that the "I" versions of the product took priority for providing brackets vs. the "II"! Not sure I understand this but of course you don't want to be sitting there putting a PC together, find out you need a bracket and have to call and wait two weeks to get it.

I am trying trying hard to keep the build all Asus/ROG/Strix but I guess I have to live with using the 1200 holes or call for the bracket (if missing) when I get the cooler. I was thinking since my case supports the 280 size radiator that the larger fans and radiator would give me better cooling but their answers on teh 280 were the same as the 240.

BJBBJB

Nate152
I came across this and is great news, both the ROG Strix LC II 240ARGB and 280ARGB come bundled with the 1700 mounting kit.

*Product availability may differ by region. Please check with your local sales representative for more information.

https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1047351/

Nate152 wrote:
I came across this and is great news, both the ROG Strix LC II 240ARGB and 280ARGB come bundled with the 1700 mounting kit.

*Product availability may differ by region. Please check with your local sales representative for more information.

https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1047351/

@Nate152,
Thanks! Great news indeed.

BJBBJB

BJBBJB
Level 7
I just wanted to confirm that a ASUS ROG Strix LC II 280 ARGB purchased on the Asus site had an "LGA1700 compatible" graphic on the front. An Asus FAQ says this is how to differentiate the old from the new stock.
On to other build parts! Maybe find a good Black Friday deal on the Asus TUF gaming Z690 Plus. 🙂

BJBBJB

Nate152
Nice, good to hear your ROG Strix LC II 280 ARGB came with a socket 1700 mounting bracket.

It's sounding like you're on your way to building a nice gaming pc.

BJBBJB
Level 7
Thanks again for the help. I now have the cooler and most of the other components. I am very familiar with PC building but less though about RGB lighting.

I have an rgb cooler that is asus and an asus motherboard. The cooler instructions say: Connect the bundled addressable cable to the addressable RGB connector on your motherboard and installed RGB fans (or
peripheral addressable RGB devices). Then connect the bundled fan cable to the fan connectors on your installed RGB fans and
your motherboard. Okay...... So in English, each fan to the cable end of cable to MB?

I will then need a third fan to fill out where the cpu cooler is (top or front?) as the case is a Phanteks Entho Pro 2. Can I purchase one ROG fan that matches the fans the cooler uses? If I do can I somehow connect it along with the 2 on the cooler to the cable going to the MB?

Then, this case does not come with fans. We will need to buy 3 or 4 other fans. Did not plan to go rgb crazy but if we get non asus rgb fans, I assume no rgb control?

Not the most important thing by a long shot, just trying to figure out how this works and is wired.

Should we just get all rog matching fans to fill out the case? Do they perform well and are they quiet? Any particular model?I have used BeQuiet! In the past but like asus stuff.

Then there is fan speed control..... now that I have dealt with but in a much older Hero board.

Thanks,
BJBBJB