cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overheating chipset.

NotHarry
Level 7
I have had a lot of trouble with my new 'Asus rog strix z690-A Gaming wifi D4' motherboard. My latest problem is a chipset that idles at 60c+.
I want to strip the heatsink for chipset in order to reseat it but you have this daft piece of plastic over the heatsink that has a cable tie attached to it, and I don't know how to remove it.
Have any of you guys striped the northbridge heat sink from one of these boards, how do you get the piece of plastic off first?
97 REPLIES 97

terrywany2k
Level 7
In Power Options, Set PCI Express - Link State Power Management to "Maximum power savings" can reduce the PCH temperature .
From intel spec, the Z690 PCH operating temperature can up to 108 Celsius, so I think 60 Celsius+ is not the issue.. if you really care the temperature, just change your power options.

terrywany2k wrote:
In Power Options, Set PCI Express - Link State Power Management to "Maximum power savings" can reduce the PCH temperature .
From intel spec, the Z690 PCH operating temperature can up to 108 Celsius, so I think 60 Celsius+ is not the issue.. if you really care the temperature, just change your power options.

Thanks I will try that now. I have just this minute moved my M2 drive to the top slot which shaved around 12 degrees of the chipset temp. Hopefully your bios fix will shave a bit more.
Thing is everything is running lovely and cool apart from the chipset which was zooming into the 80's when playing games, and this heated up my entire computer and turned it into a leaf blower.

terrywany2k wrote:

Sorry I can't find the setting you quote above in my bios. The only power management I could find was in Advanced/APM Configuration

NotHarry wrote:
Sorry I can't find the setting you quote above in my bios. The only power management I could find was in Advanced/APM Configuration

In Windows, Control Panel, Power Options, Change Plan settings, Change advanced power settings, PCI Express(tree menu), Link State Power Management

terrywany2k wrote:
In Windows, Control Panel, Power Options, Change Plan settings, Change advanced power settings, PCI Express(tree menu), Link State Power Management

Oh thank you. I somehow had it in my head it was a bios thing.

Update: It now runs at 50 idle. Do you think that's okay, or should I go ahead and try to reseat the heat-sink?

Adrian1983
Level 10
NotHarry wrote:
I have had a lot of trouble with my new 'Asus rog strix z690-A Gaming wifi D4' motherboard. My latest problem is a chipset that idles at 60c+.
I want to strip the heatsink for chipset in order to reseat it but you have this daft piece of plastic over the heatsink that has a cable tie attached to it, and I don't know how to remove it.
Have any of you guys striped the northbridge heat sink from one of these boards, how do you get the piece of plastic off first?

I've got the same board and I have even undervolted both PCH voltages in the bios, I did have them on minimum but decided in the end to have them both at around half the the voltage they were at stock and still my chipset is at 67c idle and in the mid 70's-80's during gaming, I have come to the conclusion I am past bothered, The board is under warranty, If it still works up to the warranty point then that's great, If it overheats and fails then so be it Asus can replace my board, Maybe they won't make that mistake again instead of cheaping out and not installing either decent thermal paste or installing a chipset fan like they do on the AMD platform.

I mean boards and chipsets are getting loaded with more and more NVME slots and much faster bandwidth chipsets which are required and they don't install a fan, The mind boggles it really does.

Adrian1983 wrote:
I've got the same board and I have even undervolted both PCH voltages in the bios, I did have them on minimum but decided in the end to have them both at around half the the voltage they were at stock and still my chipset is at 67c idle and in the mid 70's-80's during gaming, I have come to the conclusion I am past bothered, The board is under warranty, If it still works up to the warranty point then that's great, If it overheats and fails then so be it Asus can replace my board, Maybe they won't make that mistake again instead of cheaping out and not installing either decent thermal paste or installing a chipset fan like they do on the AMD platform.

I mean boards and chipsets are getting loaded with more and more NVME slots and much faster bandwidth chipsets which are required and they don't install a fan, The mind boggles it really does.

Yeah, this is the first Asus product that I have been disappointed with. As you say, cheeping out on the chipset heatsink, what were they thinking. I am seriously thinking of buying a Gigabyte Z790 motherboard and selling this one, I have had nothing but trouble with it since I installed it.
I have solved every problem so far and have managed to get the chipset to idle at 50/52. But I shouldn't have had to waste weeks of my time finding solutions.
It's either buy a Gigabyte board or strip my computer down and try to fix the heatsink on this one. I will sleep on it. Either way I don't think I'll be buying Asus stuff again. The quality seems to have taken a dive.

NotHarry wrote:
Yeah, this is the first Asus product that I have been disappointed with. As you say, cheeping out on the chipset heatsink, what were they thinking. I am seriously thinking of buying a Gigabyte Z790 motherboard and selling this one, I have had nothing but trouble with it since I installed it.
I have solved every problem so far and have managed to get the chipset to idle at 50/52. But I shouldn't have had to waste weeks of my time finding solutions.
It's either buy a Gigabyte board or strip my computer down and try to fix the heatsink on this one. I will sleep on it. Either way I don't think I'll be buying Asus stuff again. The quality seems to have taken a dive.

I don't have this board, but I do have the z590 Hero. Its idle temperature was around 35c. I took the plastic shroud off and it dropped by about 10 degrees. Only con is the LEDs that lit up the Asus Logo are then bare on the motherboard, but it is below the graphics card anyway,

ROG Hero XIII | 10900k @5.2 GHz | g.skill 2x32GB 4200 CL18 | ROG Strix 2070S | EK Nucleus 360 Dark | 6TB SSD/nvme, 16TB external HDD | 2x 1440p | Vanatoo speakers with Klipsch sub | Fractal Meshify 2 case

geneo wrote:
I don't have this board, but I do have the z590 Hero. Its idle temperature was around 35c. I took the plastic shroud off and it dropped by about 10 degrees. Only con is the LEDs that lit up the Asus Logo are then bare on the motherboard, but it is below the graphics card anyway,

Thanks to what I already knew and some tips I picked up here on this thread I have now got a idle temp of 50. I still mean to strip it down and remove the plastic shroud and reseat the heatsink, screwing it down tightly. Doing this seems to have the greatest result and is reported to bring a chipset down from 60/70 to as low as 30. Only trouble is I have no idea how to remove the heat sink even with the board out. I can find nothing on the net showing how to do this.