Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    New ROGer Array

Overheating chipset.

I have had a lot of trouble with my new 'Asus rog strix z690-A Gaming wifi D4' motherboard. My latest problem is a chipset that idles at 60c+.
    I want to strip the heatsink for chipset in order to reseat it but you have this daft piece of plastic over the heatsink that has a cable tie attached to it, and I don't know how to remove it.
    Have any of you guys striped the northbridge heat sink from one of these boards, how do you get the piece of plastic off first?

New ROGer Array

In Power Options, Set PCI Express - Link State Power Management to "Maximum power savings" can reduce the PCH temperature .
    From intel spec, the Z690 PCH operating temperature can up to 108 Celsius, so I think 60 Celsius+ is not the issue.. if you really care the temperature, just change your power options.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by terrywany2k View Post
    In Power Options, Set PCI Express - Link State Power Management to "Maximum power savings" can reduce the PCH temperature .
    From intel spec, the Z690 PCH operating temperature can up to 108 Celsius, so I think 60 Celsius+ is not the issue.. if you really care the temperature, just change your power options.
    Thanks I will try that now. I have just this minute moved my M2 drive to the top slot which shaved around 12 degrees of the chipset temp. Hopefully your bios fix will shave a bit more.
    Thing is everything is running lovely and cool apart from the chipset which was zooming into the 80's when playing games, and this heated up my entire computer and turned it into a leaf blower.

New ROGer Array

Sorry I can't find the setting you quote above in my bios. The only power management I could find was in Advanced/APM Configuration

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by NotHarry View Post
    Sorry I can't find the setting you quote above in my bios. The only power management I could find was in Advanced/APM Configuration
    In Windows, Control Panel, Power Options, Change Plan settings, Change advanced power settings, PCI Express(tree menu), Link State Power Management

New ROGer Array

In Windows, Control Panel, Power Options, Change Plan settings, Change advanced power settings, PCI Express(tree menu), Link State Power Management
    Oh thank you. I somehow had it in my head it was a bios thing.

Update: It now runs at 50 idle. Do you think that's okay, or should I go ahead and try to reseat the heat-sink?
    Last edited by NotHarry; 11-15-2022 at 03:19 PM.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array Adrian1983 PC Specs
    Adrian1983 PC Specs
    MotherboardRog Strix Z690 Gaming A
    ProcessorI9 12900K
    Memory (part number)BL2K16G36C16U4B @3800Mhz x2
    Graphics Card #1Inno3d Ichill X3 RTX 4090
    Sound CardHdmi
    MonitorLG Oled C1 55"
    Storage #1Samsung 980 Pro x2
    Storage #2Samsung 970 Evo Plus x2
    CPU CoolerCorsair H150i Elite Capellix
    CaseLian Li O11 Dynamic XL
    Power SupplySeasonic focus gold 850w
    Keyboard Logitech G915
    Mouse Logitech G703
    Headset Logitech G935
    OS Windows 11 x64

Quote Originally Posted by NotHarry View Post
    I have had a lot of trouble with my new 'Asus rog strix z690-A Gaming wifi D4' motherboard. My latest problem is a chipset that idles at 60c+.
    I want to strip the heatsink for chipset in order to reseat it but you have this daft piece of plastic over the heatsink that has a cable tie attached to it, and I don't know how to remove it.
    Have any of you guys striped the northbridge heat sink from one of these boards, how do you get the piece of plastic off first?
    I've got the same board and I have even undervolted both PCH voltages in the bios, I did have them on minimum but decided in the end to have them both at around half the the voltage they were at stock and still my chipset is at 67c idle and in the mid 70's-80's during gaming, I have come to the conclusion I am past bothered, The board is under warranty, If it still works up to the warranty point then that's great, If it overheats and fails then so be it Asus can replace my board, Maybe they won't make that mistake again instead of cheaping out and not installing either decent thermal paste or installing a chipset fan like they do on the AMD platform.

I mean boards and chipsets are getting loaded with more and more NVME slots and much faster bandwidth chipsets which are required and they don't install a fan, The mind boggles it really does.
    Last edited by Adrian1983; 11-15-2022 at 07:48 PM. Reason: Correction

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian1983 View Post
    I've got the same board and I have even undervolted both PCH voltages in the bios, I did have them on minimum but decided in the end to have them both at around half the the voltage they were at stock and still my chipset is at 67c idle and in the mid 70's-80's during gaming, I have come to the conclusion I am past bothered, The board is under warranty, If it still works up to the warranty point then that's great, If it overheats and fails then so be it Asus can replace my board, Maybe they won't make that mistake again instead of cheaping out and not installing either decent thermal paste or installing a chipset fan like they do on the AMD platform.

I mean boards and chipsets are getting loaded with more and more NVME slots and much faster bandwidth chipsets which are required and they don't install a fan, The mind boggles it really does.
    Yeah, this is the first Asus product that I have been disappointed with. As you say, cheeping out on the chipset heatsink, what were they thinking. I am seriously thinking of buying a Gigabyte Z790 motherboard and selling this one, I have had nothing but trouble with it since I installed it.
    I have solved every problem so far and have managed to get the chipset to idle at 50/52. But I shouldn't have had to waste weeks of my time finding solutions.
    It's either buy a Gigabyte board or strip my computer down and try to fix the heatsink on this one. I will sleep on it. Either way I don't think I'll be buying Asus stuff again. The quality seems to have taken a dive.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array Murph_9000 PC Specs
    Murph_9000 PC Specs
    MotherboardROG Crosshair VIII Extreme
    ProcessorAMD Ryzen 5950X
    Memory (part number)Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 CL16 (BL16G36C16U4B.M16FE1)
    Graphics Card #1ROG Strix Radeon™ RX 6750 XT OC Edition 12GB GDDR6
    MonitorROG Strix XG43UQ, XG27AQM
    Storage #1Seagate FireCuda 530
    CPU CoolerROG Ryujin II 360
    CaseROG Strix Helios
    Power SupplyROG Thor 1200W Platinum
    Keyboard ROG Strix Scope RX, ROG Claymore II
    Mouse ROG Keris Wireless, ROG Chakram X
    Headset ROG Delta S
    Mouse Pad ROG Scabbard II
    OS Windows 11 Pro
    Network RouterROG Rapture GT-AX6000
    Accessory #1 ROG Eye S
    Accessory #2 ROG Strix Magnus
    Accessory #3 LINKUP Ultra PCIe 4.0 x16 Riser Cable - Right Angle - 20cm

The recent chipsets do run quite hot, it's just the way things are. The data clock rate inside the chipset doubles with each PCIe generation, so heat is just a thing that happens. Idling above 60C isn't unusual. You need to check the specific data sheet to be certain, but the max temp is very high these days, I think over 100C on some of the latest ones.

50C sounds pretty good, and I would leave the heatsink alone. It doesn't sound broken, so attempting to fix it may not be a good idea. Changing vendor is unlikely to make much difference, as they all implement the cooling spec provided by the chipset vendors (in general). Just keep a reasonable minimum case airflow and all should be good; it doesn't need that much to keep it under control.

New ROGer Array

Well, yes, but they must know that the chipset runs very hot yet they gave it a very thin bit of aluminium and then but a useless block of plastic on top of it for a even more useless cable tie. This must reduce the heatsink effectiveness by quite a lot. They should have fitted a good chunky heatsink on there over making it look pretty.
    While search the net I come about many people having trouble with these boards, mainly one called the formula Z690, and a lot of those people striped the heatsink down and either refitted it properly or used another solution. They managed to drop the chipset temp down into the 30's. So Asus could have easily have done something similar.
    It falls into the category of 'Bad design' They need to get away from the pretty and get back to what's practical.
    Last edited by NotHarry; 11-15-2022 at 09:18 PM.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast